Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Level 3 user

Question Question about residencies.

I've given it a lot of thought, and since I could really use some uninterrupted studio time. Due to a tight budget, I can't really open up a studio of my own when I move to a new place in a few months. Traveling from residency to residency seems like a good way for me to experiment and learn a lot. My question is, aside from the obvious benefit of having a roof over my head and a properly equipped studio to work in, how else could a residency benefit me?

Do you actually build strong connections to galleries and the art world? I have almost zero now. I know only a couple artists outside of Korea where I've been living the last few years, and only talk to one gallery back in the States. It's more of a dealer than an actual exhibiting gallery. Also, does getting one residency help set you up for future ones? I'm looking for ones in France mostly since my girlfriend is about to start university there, but I don't mind using it as home-base and traveling to other places for residencies from one month to one year.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 AM

Re: Question about residencies.

Good to see you posting again!
So, is this residency idea taking the place of the MFA route?

http://resartis.org/en/residencies/ This is a phenomenal resource.

I see the residency as a nice bridge between an academic setting and personal studio.
Once I get through a MFA, I intend to seriously pursue a long-term residency, but like all venues outside of your own studio, it all depends what you'd like to get out of it...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Level 3 user

Thank you so much. I hadn't checked back here until now. The link is great, I've stumbled across that site before and applied for a couple.

I'm pretty poor, so an MFA is out of the question. Residencies are pretty much my only hope. At least for now. This may end up being a many year process of working and saving money, then creating and spending it, working again, creating again.. and on and on until it works out. I'm in it for the long haul, but I'm afraid I can't see an MFA in my future anytime soon. The more I look into it, the more it seems like it's only for the privileged. I don't know many artists personally, but the few I know are in over their heads with debt from art school. I don't mind a few thousand in debt to get going, but an art school debt would cripple me for life.

Last edited by AbstractErosion : 01-07-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Verbal Vomit
Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Level 10 user

Hi there,
I discussed MFAS with somebody who I presumed had an MFA or an MA,
it turned out they did not and they said they were aiming to get artist in residencies as an alternative route.You can also do a paid residency too.

The discussion was regarding expanding ones development and also admittedly making ones resume 'look good' for art galleries where one may be applying with people with the MFAS etc.
Yes I know a resume can only really 'look good' with a good portfolio but things on resumes help too etc etc.

James.