Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Micro Monumental exhibit

On June 20-July 22, coinciding with the ISC conference in Cincinnati, there will be an exhibit at Xavier University Art Gallery of an unusual category of sculpture. The maximum size of any of the works in this show is 5" x 2" x1.5", the size of a kitchen matchbox. It is a challenge to make something meaningful at this scale.
This show, curated by Kristen Hileman of th Hirshhorn Museum, is now at the Flashpoint Gallery in Washington, D.C. from April 6-May 27, when it travels to Cincinnati.
Here is an article from the May 4, 2006 Washington Post giving a range of thoughts about this difficult, yet intriguing scale of work. I am fortunate that this reviewer liked my entry in the show.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050400509.html

JAZ (Joyce Audy Zarins)
Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
scupture.net

Re: Micro Monumental exhibit

Wow that is small... So what did you make? Can you post a picture of it here for us to see?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Level 10 user

The University of Hawaii Art Gallery started a juried/invitational International Shoebox Sculpture Exhibition back in the 80's that has always toured a show of amazing small sculptures in all materials and styles. The online catalogue from the 2006 incarnation of this exhibition can be seen here.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:52 AM
ISC Member

Hey JAZ, nice write up!! Congrats. Would love to see a shot of your piece.....

John

website at: www.johnesimms.com
Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 PM

Thanks, guys. Actually, it's in the gallery at the top of the page already. I put it there because I'd never done a sculpture so small. During the winter I tried to teach myself some casting. I cast one good plaster from the rubber mold for this, one plaster one in which the top it a bit broken, and then when I used the resin, it didn't release from the rubber (even though I used the recommended mold release), so I had to destroy the mold to get the model out. Live and learn.
It's called Wheat, the American Staple.
JAZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	American-Staple-Photo-2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	3148  
Old 05-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Level 10 user

Looking at your biscuits make me feel hungry JAZ. They are so real.

Related to exhibition of small sculptures, locally we have a philantrophic organization. One of the ways it support the arts is to organize annually a 3D Art Exhibiton for free and not charging sales commissions. Nearly all local artists can have a chance as the exhibition hall is big.

But they limit the sculpture size to 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft each as well as number of works per artist. Many emerging artists and even art students benefit as they would not have a chance at galleries and other exhibitions. But well known professional artists would regard the general standard as low and do not take part, or just give a token participation.

Last edited by Merlion : 05-30-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Micro Representational exhibit

Another exhibition of miniaturized realism that just ended at Plus Ultra Gallery in NYC by Joe Fig.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Re: Micro Representational exhibit

Actually, the Micro Monumental exhibit isn't a realist show. It is an eclectic mix.
Thanks for the link, fused. Joe Fig has certainly carved out a focused niche with those - tiny and with just specific artists' spaces as subject. Now there's a guy who really zeroes in.
I would think that small scale works would be appealing to people, like many in Manhattan, who live in small apartments. Not only is it easier to accommodate smaller art in a small home, but the scale of the art fits the visual parameters of the space too. It's also often more affordable too, making it more within reach financially.
From the artist's perspective, in some ways it's easier (like in ease of transportation, for instance) and in others harder.
I've just returned from Florida where one of my outdoor sculptures is on exhibit in Winter Haven. That city owns a flamboyant large scale polychrome sculpture by Albert Paley. It's completely on the other end of the spectrum. Heavy, expensive, labor intensive. You can't beat the impact, but after seeing lots of large scale things, people enjoy zooming on down to things that are really small.
Extreme contrasts can be stimulating, don't you think?
JAZ
Old 06-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Level 10 user

I am new to doing very small sculptures. One thing I cannot resolve is how to make my artworks look different from figurines.

Some of these figurines are actually quite good artistically. But they are made in quantity to sell cheaply at shops.

Can some of you offer tips on this ?

Last edited by Merlion : 06-03-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
I am new to doing very small sculptures. One thing I cannot resolve is how to make my artworks look different from figurines.

Some of these figurines are actually quite good artistically. But they are made in quantity to sell cheaply at shops.

Can some of you offer tips on this ?
"figurines" always seem to have that glass smooth surface, maybe paints/colors, maybe the lack of modelling marks and texture is what makes the commercial ones look "cheap" because it's hard to tell what material they are made from so they might tend to look like hard plastic.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:42 PM

This is exactly the problem that is discussed in the Washington Post review. There is another Micro Monumental exhibit in Lowell, MA right now, which I saw about two weeks ago. Some of the works had the look of miniaturization or, as you say Merlion, of figurines, while others looked like fully realized sculptures. If you put those on a plain background in a photo, it would not have been obvious that they were so tiny. I think Landseer is right about the surfaces, but it's more than that. Some forms can hold their own at any scale, and others can't. Diminished scale really is a formal challenge, and that's mainly why I tried for this exhibit - to see if I could do something with it.
While it might be tempting to conclude that small scale sculptures don't have much significance, it is useful to remember that millions of people live in very small spaces and can't have even human scaled sculptures in their collections.
JAZ
Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Level 10 user

About small sculptures, I post below some good/cute ones I have collected. You may be surprised what prices they sell for.

They are all from a chain store Daiso. It sells all items at Sing$2.00 each. Six months ago this amount would be US$1.10, but is now US$1.25.

I did make some small sculptures using Sculpey polymer clay. But some of my friends would tell me my 'figurines' are very nice. Now I still make some small polymer clay sculptures. But I make use of them mainly as maquettes to try out new shapes/ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figurines1.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	3233  Click image for larger version

Name:	Figurines2.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	3234  Click image for larger version

Name:	Figurines3.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	3235  

Last edited by Merlion : 06-06-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Level 10 user

Here's a blog today by Sara Pearce talking about the opening of this Micro Monumental at the Xavier University Art Gallery, not too far from the ISC Sculpture Conference. She also talks about some exhibits at this ISC Conference. There are photos there.

Last edited by Merlion : 06-21-2006 at 03:38 AM.