Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Level 2 user

Re: Paper Mache/Rosco Foamcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Casey
Anne;
I aggree totally, sculpture translated to all languages even better than music. I will be taking a full look at your site along with some of the others in the next couple days. I want to dedicate a day to it so I am not hurried.

Bonnie;
As for armitures, the skull on the pedistal is a second generation with the express purpose of being used as an armiture. You see once I finished the skull (nimus teeth as yet) I then moved on to making molds of the skull also out of polymer. Then I was able to make a duplicate skulls in a matter of a few minutes hands on work. Then I mount the duplicate. I deside the subjects motivations, passions, and posture including eye direction and jaw positioning. I re-cook it with some fresh clay in the jaw pivot point. Paint some rough cornias and pupils on two eye dowels, insert them and turn into orintation. With the skull then mounted on a handleable pedistal I begin the process of adding the muscle and flesh over the skull with apropriate thicknesses. Once all the detailing is done I can easily make copies of the finished heads so only one skull is ever neccasary for the 200 editions of that chess peice.

This sculpting technique is very old. I'm not trying to gross you out, but since the 1980s forensic (law purposed) scientist have made great advances in identifying the remains of unidentified bodies, by using population averages of soft tissue thicknesses at various points on found skulls. And often clues like remnants of clothing help determine if the person was large or thin. By tapping into these techniques I am able to sculpt very preportionate human heads. Minature human figures are faster than life size but I have read from a few sources that they are more difficult. I do not have the time or mental stamina to take a bunch of college courses so I have ellected to use diverse disiplines. I am an admirer of that technique for the closure that it has brought to the families of victoms and the criminals it has helped to bring to justice. For anyone interest, that may read this now, or in the future, "Making Faces" is the best book published with layman in mind.

I will indeed have better images, close up, next month, and of more pieces, when I purchase the digital camera. As it is a person has to copy and paste these images into a paint program and zoom in before they can see any detail. I just wanted to post something so you all know I am doing something.

Bonnie I have news on Meetup. I will now post it in the Meetup thread in the Lounge section. While i am thinking about it I would like to hear anout the poodle you are doing.

Stephen,
I saw a TV show not long ago showing a forensic artist who made a likeness of a dead woman.It was amazing! What talent!
You must go into great detail with your figures.
Thanks for letting me know paper mache has been accpeted at Meetup. I joined paper mache and hope to get others in this area interetsed so we can have a meetup. I think it would be lots of fun and probably a great way to network.
I posted a pic of me with the pig chef that was on display last summer.
Now you can put a face to a name, but it is not a closeup pic.
The Pooodle is coming along. It is very large and will take much more time.
I got my Foamcoat yesterday.An added bonus was all the great white paper it was packed in. Nothing goes to waste with a paper mache artist.
Recycle! Reuse!
Bonnie
Old 01-07-2004, 12:20 AM
Level 6 user

Bonnie I saw that tiny image last night, and as small as it was I guessed that it was a chef of the pigglet persuasion.

Although I hope to see a better image of his creator sometime soon. When I went back to meetup and tried to inlarge your image I got motivated to rewrite my homepage, and figure out how to get full size images. In the photo I am the one that is not asleep. Just click on the new link below my signiture.

I joined up to the paper mache meetup too, as it does interest me. It is hard to tell how long it will be before there are enough people aware of it to make local groups for ourselves. I asked my local craft store Micheals if I could put a small notice on their polymer clay shelf, but no go. Standard corporate dodging. I think I will put up an index cards at the local supermarket bulletin boards. I used to get a small percentage of my hauling business from those ads, back in the day when I made an honest living. It's been a decade and I still have my tax number memorized. Dust between the ears.

I went ahead to Borders books last night after posting that even though meetup had cancelled the Atkins Diet meetup I was going to be there anyhow. There were about four of us listed in the meetup directory. We have a very rare case of white grass here so even if someone was motivated the cold may of busted the bubble. I am glad I went though because I found a discounted copy of;

Michelangelo - The Last Judgment - A Glorious Restoration

I feel that his techniques speak on a macro level that I can benefit from, as relating to the charactor interaction in my, chess set. I had decided just a couple days ago to concentrate on the Judgment versus the chapel ceiling, as it is easier to isolate physical expression without so much specific theologic subject matter to confuse the issues.

Last edited by Stephen Casey : 02-20-2004 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Level 6 user

Bye the way my old business Poor Boys Hauling, recycled 65% of everything we hauled away, furniture, brush, clothing, toys, you name it. I was hoping for 75% but didn'y get to that goal before, for several reason had to close the business. It sure was fun. My good friend Dusty Worthington worked with me in that business and he will be helping me with the new studio. You might see him posting in here over the next week or so. Probably under his sculpters name, Stone Breaker.

I hope the poodle is coming along well.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Level 2 user

Hi Stephen,
How has your week been? Snowed in? Cold? It sure is cold here in the Wash DC area!
How are the chess figures?Any new pics?
Iam disappointed in my Poodle.Well actually the head and face are fine ; it's the body I need to work on, or else toss out and try again!
Finished a little Yorkie pup. Attached is a picture. This dog is made from Kimpak paper. Ithink I'll name HIM Kimpak! LOL!
Bonnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yorkiepup.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	327