Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Level 5 user

Re: age and influence

I studied in a traditional art environment way back in 1964. We sketched and sketched from nature, nude models, object drawing, etc., and did a lot of figurative work in clay, terra cotta, plaster, wax, etc. That covered the basics of subject, techniques and materials. I was very young and loved playing around with this medium. But content ? Lets tread carefully here!
Age has as much influence on our art as it has on any other aspect of our life. However let me tell you how I work. Before that I'd like you to know that I earn my living creating life like body part replacements for the disfigured. The specs here are that the finished product must look like the real thing.
When I do art, I consider myself the executor with the ability, training, experience and the drive. My role seems to be as a gardener, wherein the art object evolves. It evolves from a figurative as I sketch and doodle, allowing it to take on a form of its own. When it reaches material, the material may influence its evolution, and I would let it. All the time I prefer the role of the silent executive and surprise myself by the outcome.
What I am saying here is that the only choice I make is to begin. Though am a mature 60, in creative work I become a child. (Tina Turner asked what's love got to do with it. Am asking what's age got to do with it)
Old 04-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Level 10 user

Not sure if its age or the doing and experiencing art that makes us transition. But it sure seems to happen, doesnít it?
I started with realism, figures and animals; ten years later transitioned to non objective abstracts and am now 2 years later am moving into modern art. Truth is I donít think I could have done good abstract work without cutting my teeth on realism.
Itís like one day this art form, which was previously mystifying, suddenly makes sense Ė so much sense one is utterly compelled to do itÖ..and boom the old genre lays behind you and the lessons it taught you add a foundation to the new genre.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSong
Truth is I donít think I could have done good abstract work without cutting my teeth on realism.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Anyway, back to the point about age, I think my sculptures do benefit from my long life experience and knowledge. And my creativity has benefited from being given a free rein since my retirement from my previous career.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-27-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 AM
ISC Member

In an earlier post I referenced a book review I came across...

I came across a lecture by a New Yorker writer about the ideas presented in the book...

I think this is worth taking time to listen to (30 min)
http://www.miamiartexchange.com/miam...nceptual_.html

There is hope for us all.....

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006

Last edited by oddist : 04-28-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

That was well worth the listen Oddist, thanks for posting it.