Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Level 9 user

SELU commission

titled "Trilogy"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selu 1.jpg (66.8 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg PA240121.JPG (54.1 KB, 484 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Level 10 user

Re: SELU commission

Wow, so impressive! what is the scale?
Quite narrative, this piece, and makes me wonder why is the third figure on a plinth? does it have any significance? is the second person holding up a statue?
Technically must have been a nightmare to put it all together safely. Awesome work, RW!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Level 9 user

Ht. 24ft. Est. Wt. 5000
This was a "Percent for Art" commission so I had to try to make sense to the committee and dept. Of culture and tourism , this was written to satisfy a requirement .
A real learning curve with this commission , not only the challenge of working with the weight and ht. but really looking at what goes into making this piece, cost , insurance, conservator , lighting, landscaping , transport and crane . All done around a busy school.

Work defined in specific terms

The work will be titled "Trilogy" for the 3 figures depicted as 3 studies of movement.
The 3 figure will be stacked, in totem fashion so as to exploit the vertical presents of the "tower" section of the new kinesiology building.
Althought the composition will suggest a totem or acrobatic feat, it is my intent to represent 3 separate stories and studies of movement, narrative and symbolism .
The bottom figure represents a crouched walking pose, telling a story of burden and responsibility to others. The figure will be the largest of the 3 and fall on the masculine end of the sexual spectrum .
The posture of the middle figure will appear to be hanging from a plank or platform (which will be the base for the top figure). The middle figure gives the sculpture the ability to be viewed as 3 unrelated figures and breaks down the totem representation by depicting a person that is hanging from fingers , instead of a person that should be holding up the top figure. The hanging figure represents tenacity and determination of spirit. The figure will be stretched and will hold the middle ground (sexual appearance) between top and bottom figure.
The top figure's pose is one of arched back and triumphent gaze. The figure represent exultation and achievement . The top figure marks the feminine end of the sexual spectrum.
The top figure will appear to be holding wings, the wings are a symbolic reference to the school of nursing. The wings are held by the arms and hand of the figure and not joined to the back as would be the case in the representation of an angel.
The entire sculpture will be carved by oxy-acetylene torch which will leave my signature textures of gouges and deep lines with the occasional plane (untouched) surface of the plate.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Level 10 user

Very impressive in every way. As much as I detest required statements, they are really enjoyable sometimes, as in this case. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Level 9 user

I agree, don't like writing statements, seem to make me feel like a fraud, I guess because I've never enjoyed writing. I never thought that being a sculptor would depend on writing but the fact is that if you don't write you can't make. So, even though I suck at writing, I'm going to write. And at some point I have to stop apologizing , not now, but soon!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Level 9 user

Thanks for the compliment Rika!
As a side note, while making this piece and trying to think of the 3 figures being separate pieces I have decided that I can keep going with that idea and use the figure as a unit or building block to make simple geometric shapes, arc's , semi circles, waves etc...
I've started a 24 ft wave, 3 figures and soon plan to make an arch with 5 figures. I'll post a picture of the maquette soon
Old 11-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Level 10 user

You don't suck at writing at all, quite the opposite. In fact, it adds depth to understanding your intentions better. That is, if the writing really follows faithfully the sculpture's own trajectory. I noticed that with me the writing doesn't necessarily keep up with the work, it morphs into an independent "entity" - for better or worse.

That is exciting about your new ideas. Looking forward to seeing the maquette.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Level 9 user

maquette of wave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0870.jpg (55.7 KB, 401 views)
Old 11-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Level 10 user

The pic is tiny but I can see the challenges of balancing the piece due to its "waviness". Especially at that height! Amazing!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Beautiful! Would love to see some detail pics of your torchworked surfaces!