Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Images Gallery
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Level 10 user

Collaboration

Last year I was approached by a colleague to put together a collaborative show. The vague idea took many twists and turns, consolidating into a fluid dialogue between mediums (sculpture and painting). We look at each other's work and if something inspires us, we turn it into art. It can be anything from an element in an existing work, form, colour scheme to story (fiction or biographical) or sensation that a piece emanates. We found that as we discussed ideas, and went to places for inspiration and research, we developed a closer relationship as well. So this aspect will also make its way into the project. We presented our idea to a few galleries and got a show for next year.

The presentation of the works will be in pairs, as one unit each, as much as possible and as the physical space allows. We will include individual works from our existing body of work to fill up the remaining space, but also paying attention that they relate to the concept.

This is my latest piece, 21 inches high.

I hope to get some seriously considered, honest feedback from this community. Thank you.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Collaboration

I love everything about her except for her hands and her collarbones. Her hands strike me as lifeless, and the collarbonesówell, it seems that collarbones, and the throat area, are a point in a figure that goes a long way towards establishing the veracity of the piece. It's certainly not a rule, but still, it seems if you get the throat area real you can get away with almost anything else.

Richard
Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Level 10 user

Thank you, good tips. I made some alterations, nothing radical though, it is too late in the process for that. Now the hard part, surface finishing.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Level 9 user

I would know this piece as one of your if I saw it somewhere other than this forum. To me that says a lot. Figures that are realistic or painstakingly accurate don't have much interest for me, they take too much sensitivity and subtlety to appreciate.I like the dings and dents.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJR View Post
I would know this piece as one of your if I saw it somewhere other than this forum.
Thank you RW. I was just thinking that I made this figure more realistic and proportionally more accurate than any other previous ones, but from you words I gather maybe not so much. I don't want to give up the wonderful textures that this material provides, but I am slowly seduced by curvier, fuller forms of the female anatomy. Maybe it is due to my advancing age?

Hope you post some of your new works here. It's been a long time...
Old 11-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Level 9 user

I do see that it's more correct in measurement, but still has the same character that I recognize as yours and then the material i relate to you . So are you considering working in other material so you can be more accurate with details and such?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Level 10 user

That's great to hear, I think this is enough detail for me. It would be very difficult to take it farther with this medium, but I am satisfied with this much as my goal is not to present an anatomically correct body. I just want to instill the figures with my inner and outer experiences/impressions/views.

Here is a picture of one of the pairings as envisioned. Of course, there will be many factors to consider in situ that might alter placing, but this is the basic idea.

I told her right at the beginning that we have to be careful that neither of the mediums overpowers the other when displayed. So it will require a lot of tweaking, I think.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Level 9 user

looks good, seems to be a common practice for galleries to combine 2 and 3d work. I guess its a business related move, makes since to me. I dont know how they stay in business.
I like the white because it shows the papers texture so well and also doesnt get lost in contrast to the painting on the wall. do you ever draw or paint on them?
Boy this site has really lost a lot of the people that use to frequent it?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Level 9 user

i should have looked at your site first, i see that you do use color. you have been doing alot, and i remember having seen alot of the work. nice site and blog.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Level 10 user

Thank you. I am not all that fast, and slowed down even more now that I had to raise the bar.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Level 10 user

congrats on the show. sounds like a great opportunity in many ways. Interesting forced meditative state in the seated figure. Intentional quest for growth... the hands a suggestion of humility in their less modeled state.
I look forward to what the collaboration yields.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Level 10 user

Hey, G, good to hear from you! "forced meditative state" - love that interpretation.

What have you been up to?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
I told her right at the beginning that we have to be careful that neither of the mediums overpowers the other when displayed. So it will require a lot of tweaking, I think.
Tension can define collaborative experiences in a positive way. Compositions that are too even or balanced soothes egos but may ultimately fall flat. Over power and allow your work to be enveloped - the results may surprise you.

Lovely figures as always. Enviably tactile surfaces.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the input, Cheese, this is really helpful. Interesting point of view regarding the overpowering aspect, I did not think of that. Not quite like that. In a way, yes, because I suggested she explore her darker side or fears as well in her paintings. I have no shortage to present work oriented towards that side (), so I have become curious to see hers. She bites, but seems to have mixed emotions about it at this time. I think she will come through in the end.

We also want to do one or two installations. It has been a dream of mine for awhile, so I am really looking forward to that. I want to make a scale model to work out the technical detail. This will be a "suspension bridge" to symbolize the connection between that "passage" mentioned in the title (Passage between Two Worlds). I will do the sculpted part, obviously, but not sure about the connection rope. Thinking of a canvas also instead, that she could paint. Any suggestions, opinions about that?

Last edited by rika : 11-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Level 10 user

Some gallery shots of the exhibit.

"Bridge", installation, 7' (painted by my collaborative partner)

"Bottle Dance", 36" and "Pandanggo sa Ilaw", 27"

"The Blue Scarf", 21"

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Level 10 user

Those dancers are fantastic. And the presentation with that painting is superb.

And the blue scarf gal? What can I say? She is even better. If that is possible. The painting behind her is perfect.

Richard
Old 09-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Level 8 user

Hi Rika,

You have been busy I see, they are all beautiful.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Level 10 user

Thank you, Richard and Dries. Here is a video that gives a better idea about the show. This gallery hosted most of the sculptures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8CxzVq7NQ
Old 09-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

Rika, for two reasons I wont argue about pertinence of or the level of acuracy of body parts in your sculptures. One being I am not proficient to assess figurative sculpture, or any other for that case , LOL. Nonetheless, mu second reason is that realistic figurative sculpture does not move me at all. Not to rest merit to figurative sculptors, and more precisely realistic oriented artists. I truly enjoy seeing how reality is deformed, a bit or a lot, twisted to fit the artist view of it. One trait of your work to be admired, is your faces and gestures. To me , that with body orientation is enough. Great work as usual Rika....
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

Hey, Nelson, thanks for your input. Getting back to work now, and not quite sure where to go next. I think I am on the right path, but I am also aware that much much more has to be done. First I need to do a commission, then the experimentation can start.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM
Level 10 user

I like that these figures have a sense of presence and completeness. There were some of your earlier figures that felt like they were trapped in circumstance, which may have been the narrative but made them harder for me to appreciate despite the technical skill. The tension is gone and they are freer, yet have not lost the enigmatic qualities.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

Very interesting comment, Glenn. I always appreciate your input. I think maybe the success of a piece depends a lot on the balance or grade of sharing and withholding...how much is too much, or is it enough?! one of the important aspects of the creative process.