Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Level 10 user

ISC Members Outside N America

Are there ISC members here from outside N America? I would like to know your opinion, experience and insight about joining ISC, the pros and cons, the benefits to you, the inconvenience, etc.

And are the Sculpture magazines being sent to you by air, or surface?

I am not an ISC member.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 PM
ISC Professional Member

Re: ISC Members Outside N America

Merlion
I am not in N America and support the ISC as I would not want to be without my firends here. I find that the information I get on this site is worth the price. I enjoy the magazine and will advertise in it at the appropriate time as I think that it is good value and it reaches a very select market. I was very isolated until I found this site and now have made some new friends, what are they worth?
Blake
Old 08-22-2006, 07:03 PM

Merlion, I have been an Isc member till ISCEurope has been created last year, but I am disappointed about ISCEurope which is nothing but words and promises.
I miss the magazine that I received by air mail at a time I was almost the only non north american member (that's what the magazine responsible told me).
I intent to be member again soon as such quality magazine on what is my life core is very unique although too much US oriented.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Blake and Anne for sharing your ISC experience.

Do you mean the ten issues of Sculpture magazines are sent to you by surface mail ? Would this make some of the Call for Artist and other time-sensitive announcements a bit late, or too late?

We used to have an ISC staff who dropped by from time to time. Perhaps she could also comment about this.

Last edited by Merlion : 08-23-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Level 10 user

I notice a very old thread talking about late 'international' delivery of the Sculpture magazine of ISC. At that time, late 2003, Sarah Schiffer the ISC membership coordinator, wrote:

The ISC has looked into this problem. Beginning with the March 2004 issue of Sculpture Magazine (due to be mailed February, 15th 2004) we will be implementing a new international distribution method.

Magazines should be arriving faster to our International Members.

Other than Anne and Blake, both from Europe, we also have ISC member Araich from Australia. Are these magazines currently being sent to you all by air or sea delivery? In case this is not obvious to you, normally how long is the delay?

Last edited by Merlion : 08-24-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Level 10 user

Huh, where are you! Looking for Anne, Araich and Blake, and others.

If you prefer it, you can send me PMs.

Last edited by Merlion : 08-26-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 AM
ISC Member

Merlion, ISC members also have access to the online listing of calls etc, which are generally a better place to go. I persoanlly find that many of the listings in the magazine are on very short notice, even for some of us in North America.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
ISC Professional Member

Merlion
I am sorry not to have responded in a more timely manner. I have been traveling and I don't always have access to the internet during my travels.
I will admit that the magazine is somewhat late arriving to me, I usually check the Call for artists online and so I am not worried when the magazine arrives as much as I would be worried about not receiving it. I find it a very interesting read.
Regards
Blake
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Level 10 user

Two weeks ago I bought the latest July/August 2007 issue of the ISC 'Sculpture' Magazine from the local Borders Bookshop. It costs S$19.30 (about US$12.80). This is by air freight, well within July, or no delay in reading it.

This means, if I were to continue buying the ten issues of 'Sculpture' a year locally, it would cost me about $128.

I am checking the ISC website now. If I were to subcribe for the magazines from ISC, it would cost me $75 at International Rate.

If I were to join ISC as Basic member, I would have to pay $120.

But I can join as Senior member, being 65+. I pay $85.

Note that the magazine delivery for the last three options are by sea snail mail.

I am afraid, from what I can see now, it is better off for me to buy the Sculpture magazines from my local bookshop.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-23-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Level 10 user

I notice from the ISC site that members are supposed to receive the newsletter Insider in addition to the magazine.

Ok. But I cannot find sample issues from the site of what this newsletter is like, especially if it is about N American interests only.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Level 10 user

In answer to my question above, I got this reply below (slightly edited) from a forum member. I re-post it here as it may be of interest to other sculptors outside N America.

INSIDER section of the Sculpture magazine is only the call to artists called Opportunity that is accessible by members only. Using a password on the web and a few pages in the magazine. Most of those call to artists are available on the web as posted by respective callers. Not much of a benefit if the magazine arrives late or not arrive at all.

The last page of the Insider is called On Record where they list commissioned pieces by members who give themselves a pat on the shoulder by posting their accomplishments.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion

I am afraid, from what I can see now, it is better off for me to buy the Sculpture magazines from my local bookshop.
Hi Merlion,

If you could tell me a little more about your situation, I'd like to try to help! Is your frustration with the cost of the subscription, or with the time it takes to ship the magazine overseas?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Level 10 user

Lauren: You were referring to my analysis in post #9. It is the slow delivery that is the problem.

Please note also my comments and excerpts in post #5 above, and my suggestion about sample issues or pages of 'Insider' in post #10.

Comment from Araich is also welcome as I understand he is an ISC member from Australia.

Last edited by Merlion : 09-21-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Level 10 user

This is an update to my posting about buying the ISC magazine Sculpture from local bookshops. I've just bought the Dec 2007 issue while I was at the Borders bookshop yesterday. The price is still Sing $19.30, currently US$13.40.

See my post #9 above when I bought the July/August issue at the same local price, but at that time it was equivalent to US$12.8. There is a depreciation of 5% since then.

Edit: I've just discovered something while reading this Dec issue. At the tearout sheet, it says

'Subscribe to Sculpture. $55 US/Canada/Mexico. $75 International (outside US/Canada/Mexico) includes airmail.'

So if I subscribe to the magazine at US$75, this is mailed to me by airmail ! This is contrary to what I mentioned in post #9 above. Has there been a change, or was I wrong at that time?

But if I join ISC as senior member at US$85, is the magazine mailed to me by airmail ?

Last edited by Merlion : 12-30-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Level 2 user

Well, the issue is a confusing one because international shipping is handled by the magazine's printer, not by the ISC directly. The printing company works out what they believe to be the most efficient routes. Most likely, our international subscriptions are air mailed to a central distribution point overseas, and they're transfered to regular land routes from there.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Level 10 user

Lauren, can you check if what you said is true, the magazine is sent out to International members first by air freight and next by local delivery. The speed of delivery is important for international members outside N America.

If the above is true, I'll join as member.

Last edited by Merlion : 01-03-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Level 2 user

Yes -- the printer uses a remailer, so the magazines are air mailed to a distribution point in Europe and are transferred to local mail systerms from there. I can't say for sure how the process will affect your delivery time because of the differences in each country's postal service, unfrotunately. My best advice would be to give the membership a try, and if you're not satisfied with how quickly your magazine is arriving I can always issue a refund for the remainder of your membership costs. It's definitely helpful for us to have feedback from international members and subscribers, as well!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Level 10 user

Lauren, thanks for your enquiry and your reply.

If the distribution center is only in Europe, I'm not close to Europe. As can be seen above right, I'm from Singapore, SE Asia.

Anyway, I'll join to give it a try, and see how it goes. Perhaps the remailer makes use of other distribution centers.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

Lauren, I'll give feedback here, not a complaint, my slightly troublesome experience trying to subscrbe to ISC as international member.

The Sculpture magazine I purchased has tear-out cards for this purpose. But this is not convenient for me as I have to pay by credit card (not by local check or cheque). This means I have to put the card with the credit card number in an envelope and send by air. I have to do this at a post office as I don't know what is the postal rate.

I tried to look at the ISC website to subscribe and pay online. I can't find the webpage for this. Maybe this is not available. What I found is a form for me to print out, fill out and fax. The fax no. is there. But there is no country code.

Another interesting point, not a problem for me, is that I am over 65 and I am joining as senior international member. What I find interesting is that there is no space there to indicate my year of birth. Perhaps this is the US culture not to ask people for their age.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Here you go, Merlion--
The online registration form found under "SUBSCRIBE" and "JOIN" on the sculpture.org main page:

https://www.infofirstsecure.com/sculpture/isc_reg.asp
Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Obseq. I've just sent by airmail. But we can still discuss this, for the interest of others potential international members, and perhaps as feedback to ISC.

I did notice this ISC online form. It didn't mention how to pay. I next click on the 'Continue' icon at the bottom and was not allowed to access, perhaps as I didn't fill in the form. So I didn't use this form.

Perhaps online payment by credit card is available if I were successful in accessing the 'Continue' next page. I wouldn't know.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 PM

No problem, Merlion. This is the form I use to renew my membership.
If you submit your contact information, and click "next" there is a credit card option available.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Level 10 user

I think you did not catch my point. Never mind. I've already mentioned what I wrote is for the purpose of feedback to ISC only, not a complaint.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:09 AM
ISC Member

There do seem to be some issues with the online payment by credit card. I tried three or four times, and checked and double-checked the information I was entering to make sure it was correct, but the information wouldn't validate with my credit card company. I ended up faxing the renewal form instead.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
I think you did not catch my point. Never mind. I've already mentioned what I wrote is for the purpose of feedback to ISC only, not a complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
Perhaps online payment by credit card is available if I were successful in accessing the 'Continue' next page. I wouldn't know.

1) You expressed the fact that you were not certain if you could pay by credit card
on the following registration page.

2) I merely confirmed that you are able to do so in my reply.

Good luck with the registration!