Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2016, 01:33 PM
ISC Member

NEW SERIES

The WATCHER SERIES started in 1978 I began with two figures in half-inch thick mild steel. The first one is in the collection of Ruth Holmberg and the second is in the collection of: Hunter Museum of American Art in Chattanooga. Over the years I have added Watchers in wood, copper, brass, stainless steel, painted steel and aluminum. Each Watcher is unique either by material, color, size or location. The peaceful figure of the seated man has progressed to approximately 100 individual sculptures and can be found in both public and private collections from Maine to Florida and New York to Aspen with the majority located in the Southeastern United States. Plus, in 2004 the Watcher Family went international with the Black and Amber Watcher perched at Langton’s in Kilkenny Ireland and two Watchers are sitting at the County Council Building in Limerick Ireland.

December 2014 I received the book TERRAIN by the internationally recognized photographer, Jackie Nickerson. I had met Jackie in 2009 while installing a Public Art commission in County Louth, Ireland. My first introduction to her work was the book FAITH, a powerful personal survey of the Catholic religious orders of Ireland. I was inspired by Jackie's Terrain photographs and ask her for permission to use the concept for a new series--WALKING WATCHER. Yes, after 37 years of the WATCHER SITTING DOWN, he is up and walking.

The maquettes are about one half scale (32" high) to the full sized figures that I am currently working on.

You can Google Jackie Nickerson's book TERRAIN and see why I found her photographs sculptural and inspirational.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.FISH KEEPER left-SUPER S.jpg (79.5 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg 01.FISH KEEPER -detail-SUPER S.jpg (74.2 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg 02.FISH TENDER-SUPER S.jpg (75.8 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by jim collins : 01-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 AM
ISC Member

Re: NEW WALKING WATCHER

Just finished the larger figure in the WALKING WATCHER Series. Natural finished aluminum and six feet tall. Titled: "Walking Watcher Carrying the Children". For a more detailed look at the sculpture. Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EYeKZBRtM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW CARRYING RIGHT-sss.jpg (60.2 KB, 390 views)