Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Level 8 user

Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Say you have two weeks to live and a ball of clay and your stranded on an island with shark infested waters- its the rainy season, nothing else to do but sculpt. Did I mention your hut was designed for a artist just like. You have all the sculpture tools you would ever need plus your favorite foods and beverage and yes you even have two weeks of life in the batteries in the c.d. player which of course has all your favorite music. What would you sculpt? Who would it be for? What music would you listen to and what would you eat and drink?
Just for kicks, try this out?
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-03-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Level 1 user

Re: Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Intersting.
I am not going to give this a lot of thought. When I think too much it skews my truth.
I am not a very spiritual guy, but what instantly came to mind being stranded alone was a flash of fear than a comfort when I looked for solace.
I am not a figurative sculptor, but I would sculpt a pair of hands. Hands cupped like they were holding water. They wouldn't be holding water though. they would be holding me. You know whos hands they would be don't you? I said I was not spiritual, didn't I?
Oh well...
Led Zeppelin and milk shakes. Oh ya, eat and drink. Ok, ice cream and milk shakes
Old 07-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Level 10 user

With apology, I am afraid my response would not be what you have in mind in starting this thread.

For me, I would not accept that I am fated to have two weeks to live. Why should I? I would try my best to survive and get help, or get away from the island alive.

Perhaps over here in Asia, survival is one of the behavior patterns ingrained into our very nature.

Last edited by Merlion : 07-04-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah, c'mon man. We've all seen 'Joe Versus The Volcano'. You can't just trot out some guy that looks like Lloyd Bridges to tell us we've got a "brain cloud" and expect us to do something pointlessly suicidal. I'd have lots of questions. Unless I'm wheezing and gasping in the last throes of a terminal illness, how do I know I'm going to die in two weeks? It sounds like someone abducted me and is threatening to kill me. If so, I'd make spring-loaded decorative 'poison dart' frogs for my captors to enjoy.

If I had been put in this situation by some kind of god, I think I would spend the two weeks trying to bargain with the god, or asking it about about philosophical quandaries and what will happen to me after it kills me. I doubt I would be eager to make sculptures or do anything it wanted me to. Civil disobedience. We've all seen 'Gandhi'. I'm no god's monkey.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 AM
ISC Member

Mark,

I would throw the clay as hard as I could into the ocean. Look for some chisels,a hammer, and a suitable piece of stone - the Olemics used volcanic rock, why not me. Besides a lot of islands are formed by volcanoes.

The other problem with your scenario is that unless Yawaeh was coming back to smote me in 2 weeks, I would not worry about the 2 week deadline. I would live life to the fullest, given the circumstances, and make each day a day to remember.

My life or existance is not preordained. It is what I choose to make of it. Clay is not a part of life for me, neither is someones arbitrary timeline.

Sorry for the diatribe.

Carl
www.wsggallery.ocm
Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Level 8 user

Cool, Carl I like this a lot - "I would live life to the fullest, given the circumstances, and make each day a day to remember."
My last sculpture took three years, I sculpted it for the families of September 11th. I heard hundreds of stories from visitors to my studio and when it was unveiled at ground 0 I have never been more moved. The thing I learned most during the process was to live in the moment and that love is the answer. You may think that this would be an easy answer to find, but it was not. It was very hard not to delve deep into the darkness but thanks to my friends and my family and the stories I found the beauty that exists. As Carl said above to live to the fullest and make each day a day to remember. I live by this now. check out this movie if you have time, its of my sculpture at Ground 0 and an event I put together with the Harlem Gospel Choir- Locomotion Dance Company and Sonny Fortune.
Quick time-
http://pilatostudios.com/video/stpauls_qt_large.mov
windows media-
http://pilatostudios.com/video/stpauls_wm_large.wmv
Of course the circumstance above -being stranded on an island with shark infested waters in a rain storm is absurd. Its just an exercise to make you think, so i would say to those who are a little intimidated or think its silly to let go your guard. Try it. Lets change it a little, instead of a ball of clay there would be another hut filled with all types of materials and tools. Lets also take out the feeling that you must escape, lets say that you are content and have come to an understanding with the two weeks. Also lets make it a day of your choosing. The rain was just made up so you would not feel like going for a swim forgetting the sharks and ending it all before you were done. So what do you say are you able to give this a try- maybe in you mind you will sculpt something amassing and like Orlando sculpt wile listening to your favorite music embraced by all you know. Maybe you also will find the hands that hold the answer which lives inside of you.
All the best,
Mark
ps- Carl, I tride to go to your web page the link above does not work.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Level 10 user

2 weeks to live and 32 gallons of 12 year old single malt whiskey to use up

where does the time go

sculpt?
oh yeh,
I forgot
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Level 8 user

sounds good Ill be stopping by.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Level 6 user

I'd divide the ball of clay up and make a bunch of little one's. Eat cold pizza, listen to Elliot Smith, and have a diet pepsi.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Level 10 user

Maybe I shouldn't have replied to this and ruined the fun but with a perspective on this that few have, to me it really is absurd.

Now if you want to do this you might say,"What if you knew you could only make one more sculpture, what would it be?". As it is now it is kind of like the teacher, preacher, grandfather, etc in the lifeboat and 1 has to go so the others might live. What do you do? The real truth of it is that you will never know unless it happens.

No matter how much you love your art if you know you have 14 days to live I kind of doubt anyone would spend it feverishly trying to make one last object. Things like family tend to over shadow anything else.

Sorry about the post, I guess the only thing to share here is art. Nothing personal about that......grinning.

Thatch
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatch
Sorry about the post, I guess the only thing to share here is art. Nothing personal about that......grinning.
Hi Thatch, don't worry about your post. You have had such an extraordinary experience, nobody will blame you for your sensitive reaction. Our imagination is poor compare to real life experience. Continue to share, art is so intimately bounded with our deep feelings.

What would be my ultimate sculptor's act having a ball of clay? nothing typically sculpture related I guess, maybe a huge bath of mud to feel an intense organic life all over my nearly dead body.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Level 6 user

Thatch,
Maybe it should be 14 days of liesure instead of impending doom. You're right, in reality, most of us would have more pressing issue's at a time like that.

Still, all in good fun.

cmustard
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

Well I could always make a beer mug out of the clay for the keg of Newcastle Brown that came with all the dancing girls.

Thatch
Old 09-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

Scout
Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Level 10 user

Firstly, I would investigate how they got the power to the island to run my welders (you said equipped with all my tools). Then convert the CD player to a satellite phone and call for help.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Level 10 user

Simple, I'd use the clay to sculpt the fountain of youth and then drink from it, thus dispelling the two week time limit on my life and then I'd build a boat.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Level 10 user

I'd throw away the ball of clay and go walking in the mountains or return to the sea (whence we all came).