Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2007, 03:25 AM
circeart's Avatar
circeart circeart is offline
Level 5 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fullerton, Ca
Posts: 88
GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Well I finally finished my global warming sculpture titled "On Thin Ice." It has been selected to be in a show on the same topic during the month of September at Orange County Center for Contemporary Art.

Here's the link http://occca.org

And here's the sculpture, the bear is ceramic and the base is cast glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2896-1-1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6897  
__________________
Circe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Merlion's Avatar
Merlion Merlion is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 3,716
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Circe: I remember you'd previously mentioned the work in progress ceramic polar bear and the glass.

Congratulations on being selected to show this sculpture. Do come back to tell us more about the exhibition opening, and show us pictures.
__________________
Merlion
www.onesunartist.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Julianna's Avatar
Julianna Julianna is offline
ISC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 1,169
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Congrats! Let us know how it goes.
__________________
Julianna Yau Yorgan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM
cooljamesx1 cooljamesx1 is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ft collins, CO
Posts: 633
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

ok well the sculpture is well done and expressive of your opinion.

having said that i feel that this piece exemplifies art that deceives people and is fundamentally counter-productive in solving the worlds problems.

Global warming is an issue that arose out of weak scientific evidence and just because it has been around long enough people have just sort of started to accept it as fact.

so here you've made a sculpture of a starving polar bear. you've taken a weak scientific theory and somehow you've made people feel like their cars have killed a polar bear.

During the ice age sea level was hundreds of feet lower than it is now, and the one degree F pales in comparison. and that one degree may be only partly the result of human behavior and of that part, who can say what part of it is carbon, what part is water vapor, what part is all the concrete in the world.

and all that is without even considering whether or not that one degree is a bad thing.

so you've taken all this speculation about "global warming" and attached all this emotion associated with a starving teddy bear.

I feel that this does noting but harm the public's understanding of this issue. Our goal as a society, especially in a democracy should be to approach each issue with reson and rationality. Your piece adds even more emotion to an issue that is already not rationally understood by the masses

Who thought of a show on this anyways? This is an issue that, like i said above should be approached rationally and artists deal mainly in the expression of emotions. besides that, few artists have any understanding of the supporting evidence and still fewer are scientists who can accurately interpret this evidence and understand its implications.

This is not to say that you are not entitled to have your opinions, you most certainly are. but i must say that i disagree with your sculpture and i disagree with your position(as exemplified by this work) that an artist job is to make commentary on social issues, especially social issues that arise out of shaky scientific evidence.

maybe you just saw an opportunity for some money and took it I don't know.

my two cents don't take it personally the craftsmanship and quality itself looks good, I wish you could present it without all the baggage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 PM
GlennT's Avatar
GlennT GlennT is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,213
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Cooljamesx1:

I could not have said it better myself, including the acknowledgement of the craftsmanship irrespective of the subject. And, my wife is appreciative of both your clear thinking and your ablility to clearly communicate your thoughts.

I would disagree only about the idea that the job of an artist is not to make commentary on social issues. I think that doing is so can be a valid and honorable thing. It just has so rarely been done well in our times, that most of the attempts we see look like political cartoons or the demagoging of issues rather than works that rise to the stature of good art. One can percieve lack of deep thought in such works.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
desertrock's Avatar
desertrock desertrock is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 880
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Nice piece Circeart!
Too bad that some people would rather target it with pompous innuendo remarks simply because they don't agree with the political or scientific message.

mark

Last edited by desertrock : 08-31-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
sculptor's Avatar
sculptor sculptor is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 1,493
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

circeart
if memory serves, this finished piece is even more starving than the original shown in clay----esp. ribs and backbone

the earlier one looked more curious(the curiosity of a carnivore)
while this one looks more desperate

i fear little for the polar bears,
as, if they ain't got seals, they can always eat some of the "global warming crazy liberals"
and other people till we hunt them down and kill them all

i mostly agree with cooljamesx1 & Glenn about global warming...

a large volcano like mt. st. helens can lower earths temperature by 1-2 degrees
a tambora (1815)by 5-7 degrees (the cooling/famine Killed 70,000 estonians and probably close to a million people world wide
a tobo (70-75000ybp) by 9-15 degrees and cause near extinctions for thousands of species (human survivors estimated to be under 10,000)
another in 535 cooled earth by 9 degrees and disrupted crops and civilations world wide
If we wish to survive the next one, we really need a few more degrees of global warming as a cushion from the cooling effects of these deadly volcanoes

.......that being said...
nice work
really well thought out and crafted as it carries it's own message without needing words which is a definitive for what i consider to be good sculpture and/or art
rod

ps
be green
plant a tree
on average, a growing tree will annually remove 72 lbs of co2 from the air while releasing close to 50 lbs of oxygen and gaining 23 lbs of biomass
---i planted 1500 16 years ago---they suck over 100,000 lbs of co2 out of the air annually
reversing the process, some are already giving me firewood fuel and leafmold and mulch for the garden
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
dilida dilida is offline
Level 9 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 268
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Circe,

Very moving piece, it hurts to see it. Whatever the reason, the polar bears are in trouble. Whether we have caused it, or it would happen anyway, it's disturbing to watch what is happening to them, they are wonderful animals, and we'll probably see thier extinction, I can't be calloused enough or jaded enough, or practical enough not to be bothered by it. Thanks for sharing it.

lisa
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
cooljamesx1 cooljamesx1 is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ft collins, CO
Posts: 633
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT
Cooljamesx1:

I could not have said it better myself, including the acknowledgement of the craftsmanship irrespective of the subject. And, my wife is appreciative of both your clear thinking and your ablility to clearly communicate your thoughts.

I would disagree only about the idea that the job of an artist is not to make commentary on social issues. I think that doing is so can be a valid and honorable thing. It just has so rarely been done well in our times, that most of the attempts we see look like political cartoons or the demagoging of issues rather than works that rise to the stature of good art. One can percieve lack of deep thought in such works.
thanks glenn.

i guess I agree partly with you here. I don't think it is necessarily wrong for an artist to make social commentary. but I think that if n artist is going to do so he or she had better have very strong and sound opinions on it, and do their research, etc. because art can be powerful, and i think its irresponsible to wield a strong weapon like art if you don't understand what you could be doing with it. Artists are not by nature more likely to have sound opinions, even though it might seem like it from the effort and skill that goes into the work. an artist has no more right to have opinions than anyone else, so all I'm saying is that an artist should not feel like they are SUPPOSED to make social commentary, because then they make art without any motivations from their actual opinions. the opinions are formed for the art. which is all bass ackwards. hope that makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2007, 09:30 AM
GlennT's Avatar
GlennT GlennT is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,213
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

I think it comes down to an artist depicting what is most dear to them. For some, including myself, focusing on how God reveals Himself to us though beauty, nature, the human spirit, and goodness in life is what is of paramount interest. For some people, politics is like a religion to them, so they will be motivated to share their political gospel through art. For others, the human mind, emotions, or intellect is king in all of its nuances. Probing the far corners irrespective of content seems to them most compelling.

I can't fault an artist for focusing on what motivates their interest. It is the results that matter, and as you point out, how those results affect others if the artwork is to be shared with the public. An artist needs to understand their accountablility to others who may be affected by their art. For me, that means approaching the work with honesty and integrity, and avoiding discordant notes unless they are germaine to the message. And if discord is germaine to the message, it had better be a message worthy of sharing.

GlennT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 AM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly stupid, beyond my imagination at least, people can be. Its a very intelligent design that can produce a self exterminating species that righteously accomplishes its goals by mass slaughter or by poisoning its own environment . The species actions are guided by a desire to be transported to an invisible realm, guaranteed to be superior to anything . There is so much love in all that hate. Very brilliant indeed. Jonestown anyone ?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
GlennT's Avatar
GlennT GlennT is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,213
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Thanks to our resident archibishop of the religion of politics for the rousing sermon!

Last edited by GlennT : 09-01-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 AM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
archibishop of the religion of politics for the rousing sermon
Religion of politics, politics of religion, religions of religions, politics of politics...way over my head, and it all sounds like fodder for useless arguments. Archbishops do wear cool looking hats. But what are they good for?

Oh, and by the way, no sermon was intended. Just expressing amazement and revealing the limits of my imagination.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

I forgot to say thanks to the art police for making sure art obeys the rules of proper behavior, logic and science. What was David Smith thinking when he said "art is a paradox"?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

You're gonna love this morning's press:

Updated: 2:26 a.m. PT Sept 2, 2007
LORETO, Italy - Pope Benedict, leading the Catholic Church’s first “eco-friendly” youth rally, on Sunday told up to half a million people that world leaders must make courageous decisions to save the planet “before it is too late.”

“A decisive ’yes’ is needed in decisions to safeguard creation as well as a strong commitment to reverse tendencies that risk leading to irreversible situations of degradation,” the 80-year old Pope said in his homily.

Intentionally wearing green vestments, he spoke to a vast crowd of mostly young people sprawled over a massive hillside near the Adriatic city of Loreto on the day Italy’s Catholic Church marks it annual Save Creation Day....
Under Benedict and his predecessor John Paul, the Vatican has become progressively “green.” It has installed photovoltaic cells on buildings to produce electricity and hosted a scientific conference to discuss the ramifications of global warming and climate change.

Last month Benedict said the human race must listen to “the voice of the Earth” or risk destroying its very existence......"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
sculptor's Avatar
sculptor sculptor is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 1,493
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
... listen to “the voice of the Earth” ..."
AMEN brother Taoist!

Bodhidharma/Sidhartha anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
cooljamesx1 cooljamesx1 is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ft collins, CO
Posts: 633
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
I forgot to say thanks to the art police for making sure art obeys the rules of proper behavior, logic and science. What was David Smith thinking when he said "art is a paradox"?
here we go joe back in full swing.

if we allowed unquestioning tolerance to all art, where would propaganda fall? how about the bible?

Art, especially art dealing with science and important current issues should obey the rules of logic. otherwise it is a lie.

The great depend on truth and demand honesty.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
if we allowed unquestioning tolerance to all art, where would propaganda fall? how about the bible?
so who is going to prevent unquestioned tolerance? i like and feel comfortable with a lot of unquestioned tolerance. it's the basis of freedom. do we need a government agency?
Quote:
Art, especially art dealing with science and important current issues should obey the rules of logic. otherwise it is a lie.
never heard of this belief. i'm saying i don't care what art does--no rules. if you say there should be rules, please lay out the plan for enforcement, reasons why, examples. all the artists i like could not exhibit under under your thinking. for example, Picasso. where is the logic? in one of his most famous quotes. he said "art is a lie that tells the truth". feelings don't obey logic. human behavior is very illogical. the Way is not logical. intuition is not guided by logic. for me your argument is not logical. if belief in the bible was based only on logic and not faith there would be very few believers. end of topic, no?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 PM
cooljamesx1 cooljamesx1 is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ft collins, CO
Posts: 633
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~
so who is going to prevent unquestioned tolerance? i like and feel comfortable with a lot of unquestioned tolerance. it's the basis of freedom. do we need a government agency? never heard of this belief. i'm saying i don't care what art does--no rules. if you say there should be rules, please lay out the plan for enforcement, reasons why, examples. all the artists i like could not exhibit under under your thinking. for example, Picasso. where is the logic? in one of his most famous quotes. he said "art is a lie that tells the truth". feelings don't obey logic. human behavior is very illogical. the Way is not logical. intuition is not guided by logic. for me your argument is not logical. if belief in the bible was based only on logic and not faith there would be very few believers. end of topic, no?
I obviously don't expect any institution to enforce tolerance. by we I mean on a personal level. you and I, in our personal opinions, under the assumption for the sake of argument that if we argue enough, we will reach an agreement. if you get caught up in semantics it defeats the purpose of argument.

You must have some personal "rules" about what art should be, otherwise every bagel you take a bite out of is a work of art.

human behavior is indeed very illogical and also very erratic and destructive. This irrationality is the problem that each of us should strive to overcome.

The Way? intuition? sounds Hindu or Buddhist. And while intuition over reason is an important concept in these beliefs/philosophies, I'm pretty sure making sculpture that exaggerates global warming is not a part of it.

I fully recognize anyones right to make whatever art they please, but no art is above criticism. I am not trying to be the police, but I think that you would agree that an artist must take responsibility for the message they send.

"if belief in the bible was based only on logic and not faith there would be very few believers. end of topic, no?"

is this a problem?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
evaldart's Avatar
evaldart evaldart is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: easthampton, massachusetts
Posts: 5,637
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

There was a time when I thought that Truth was obtainable and rationality and logic should be preferred over whimsy and chaos; but all those things involve embracing the fultility of Predicting. Art became so much more interesting when the things I made were no longer designed to illicit a response or a particular reaction - opened up the doors to the entire universe. eggheads, and necktied bean-counters and evangelists will offer you "truth" and "rationale" for a price, to keep you in line. And to some degree being "in line" is necessary. But You have to reach a state of hyper-confident self-evaluation in the things you do and make, outside views can be useful as modifiers and referees...but YOU know when its good - and if no one else thinks so....so what. And don't bring up earning a living because anyone can do that...but continue to birth anomalies that propel you further and further into the most fulfilling brand of oblivion...now THATS tough.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
jOe~'s Avatar
jOe~ jOe~ is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 3,190
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Very very good Evaldart!
"For me the process is mysterious. It's like not knowing where you are going but knowing how to get there"..Anne Truitt

And you need to be brave and strong enough to trust and follow the path.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
iron ant's Avatar
iron ant iron ant is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mountaintown,GA
Posts: 744
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Intersting how the times of today influences the work of a new generation of being aware of Global warming.I live in North Ga,going through 100 year drout,kind of scarry actually.Summers have become so much hotter,winter comes and goes,freek storms seem to pop up,ect I definitly have seen the effects of global warming in the Appalachian Mountains....IA
__________________
mini metal man
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 AM
Cantab's Avatar
Cantab Cantab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge, England
Posts: 440
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Circeart – I can imagine this piece as being very powerful in the round. The contrast of the recognisable head with the emaciated frame (unrecognisable as the body of a bear) is quite chilling.

Cooljamesxc1/GlennT – you guys just need to come out of denial. Evolution threw up the human brain as a tool, and its function is adaptive, that is, it helps us to adapt our behaviour to new threats and circumstances (Trees and stuff, you will notice, cannot do this). A threat that is not PROVEN still constitutes a threat, well, to the more intelligent adaptive members of the species anyway. The animal that stops still because it recognises a noise that MIGHT be a threat is using its version of intelligence. There may not be a threat, but its intelligence functions to signal up warning signs. Just recognise the signals, guys. Just act intelligently.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
GlennT's Avatar
GlennT GlennT is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,213
Re: GLOBAL WARMING SCULPTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
Just recognise the signals, guys. Just act intelligently.
Oddly enough, that's what I think I've been doing. The Earth is actually warming up and...here's the kicker...we can't do anything significant about it, other than apreciate the warmer weather and thank God it's not an ice age that's coming.

And if I see a comet coming towards Earth, don't expect me to lay on my back and blow my breath towards the sky in order to do my bit to slow it down, or pay someone else some hot air credits to blow in the wind for me.

Recognize the signals...the global warming hysteria is the new environmentalist religion hoping you will buy into the carbon credit nonsense so that someone else can regulate your life with their agenda, meanwhile doing absolutely next to nothing to change a naturally occurring cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
sculptor's Avatar
sculptor sculptor is offline
Level 10 user
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: IOWA
Posts: 1,493
charts read from right to left-(past to present)

"those who ignore history..."

any questions?

-----------------------

during the warmer periods 4-8000 y.b.p.
the foundations of intensive agriculture and the great chinese(western chou) minoan and egyptian civilizations were formed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65_Myr_Climate_Change.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	7399  Click image for larger version

Name:	Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png
Views:	302
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	7400  

Last edited by obseq : 11-26-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: merging posts
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Sculpture Community, Sculpture.net
International Sculpture Center, Sculpture.org
vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Russ RuBert