Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Level 10 user

25-foot historical sailor sculpture to be dedicated

It'd be very interesting to see this sculpture when pictures are available. I think we all know this famous photo. By the way, we understand years later the kissing in the photo was posed.

25-foot historical sailor sculpture to be dedicated

February 9, 2007

SAN DIEGO – A dedication ceremony will be held Saturday in the G Street Mole parking lot for a 25-foot-tall sculpture of a sailor embracing a nurse based on a photo taken on the day World War II ended.

The artwork, titled “Unconditional Surrender,” was created by sculptor J. Seward Johnson, and will be displayed next to the towering USS Midway Museum for the next year. It was brought to San Diego under the San Diego Unified Port District's public art program, which allocated $67,000 to transport, install and dismantle the temporary display. ...

The ceremony is set for 2 p.m. Among the guests expected is Edith Shain, 88, the nurse memorialized in the sculpture.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Level 10 user

Re: 25-foot historical sailor sculpture to be dedicated

Merlion, JAZ had it posted already . It was on the gallery at the top of the page. I took almost same shot of it while in Sarasota last winter.

Here tis.

http://www.sculpture.net/gallery/sho...cat/500/page/1

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks TI. I didn't know about it. It is well done, and quite a sight isn't it? So this announced unveiling must be for showing it at the San Diego site after moving it over there.

Would it be made from fiberglass? The skirt would be quite tough to make. By the way, don't try to look up into it.

For the benefit of others, here is what JAZ posted. Notice 'real' people at the bottom.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Level 10 user

Its big allright. And just imagine the size of the cake.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Level 10 user

Too big Merlion, it reminds me of those billboard sized things you used to see in the 60's by the freeway tourist traps I guess, huge elephants, cows etc

The sailors HAT caught my attention though, I've been trying to find out more about this 1895 keystone's hat, it has a distinctive split in the middle otherwise it is like the sailor's hat and has the dome form on the top which is not shown in my photo.
Could this be some kind of Navy or other such hat instead of sailor?

The sculptor could have been from any country- Poland, germany, Israel, Russia, Ukraine, Italy etc- whomever immigrated to the US back then- he would likely have sculpted a uniform of a familiar to him style from back home, whatever it was it has a special split in the center. Also he sports a neck cloth, I don't know what it's called but it too is distinctive.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart
Its big allright. And just imagine the size of the cake.
The story is about San Diego, but this large sculpture would fit well at Las Vegas. Cake? What cake.

Last edited by Merlion : 02-10-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Level 9 user

The wedding cake!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Level 10 user

This is a follow-up news about the fate of this popular public sculpture at Sarasota.

Popular kissing sculpture returns to Sarasota

Sarasota, Florida -- Many folks simply called it "the Kiss" but its real name was "Unconditional Surrender" and it's returning to Sarasota.

The 26-foot tall sculpture by artist Seward Johnson shows 2 people kissing following the end of World War II and will return to the city's downtown waterfront next month. Published originally as a picture in Life magazine the sculpture was last in Sarasota in 2006 and was wildly popular. ...

Terris says private donations and money from Sarasota Season of Sculpture are paying for the return of the statue. She says "Unconditional Surrender" will remain in the city until the end of March. ...