Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Sec. of Arts petition

Tighty Whiteys-

Interesting you should mention that.
I first did Tighty Whitey's in 1996, when Bob Dole ran against Bill Clinton.
I did a one night only show, in a bar, called "Boxers or Briefs", based, of course, on the question Clinton was asked on MTV.

In it, I imagined ol Bob Dole as the tighty Whitey guy, while modern smoother mover bill was the boxer guy. Did a whole series of metal boxers and briefs, painted and hung on the wall, as well as boxer and brief bar stools.

Then, more recently, I did current politicians as superheros- and what makes you more super than when you wear your tighty whiteys over the top of your clothes? Saw a punk band do that once, back in about 77, and they totally ruled.

I actually have a show opening on the 5th of Feb, lots of tighty whitey imagery in that one, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wpillow.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9982  Click image for larger version

Name:	persart_05.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	9983  
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Level 10 user

With this brief resume, Ries has sewn together a case for making the shorts list of Secretary of Arts contenders.

Last edited by GlennT : 01-17-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: jockeying the words for a better fit
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Ries, if you think you can usurp me for the ugliest art of the year award you are sadly mistaken,.. And you are a brigand and a pirate and a scoundrel.

I challenge you and anyone else to an ugly art duel. Ugly art to be auctioned off this summer and all proceeds donated to a puppy shelter.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Level 10 user

Watch who you call ugly!

I even sells some of that stuff...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Level 10 user

you mean Arts not SUPPOSED to be ugly!?...aw, hell. Damn perfessers.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Level 3 user

I agree it's risky to appoint a Secretary of the Arts, but maybe they have more power than an educational role but less power than a censorship role. For example, in Massachusetts, Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA), for co-founded the Senate Cultural Caucus to show his longtime support for arts and culture in Massachusetts. So maybe there role is like a figure head to bring awareness and dialogue to the arts across all disciplines.

I think one argument that is going to have to be made is how this is different than the NEA, i.e. why is more support for the arts needed and while I agree with education and advocacy I think what happened with the NEA individual grants is that funding on an individual level dried up and individual artists were forced to make marketable work to get funds. I think the key language point should be that the secretary of the arts promote dialogue in the arts and visibility/access to all art disciplines such as music, poetry, performance, theater, dance, visual arts, etc... There remains the thornier issue of how to handle fields such as craft, design and applied arts in a national arts dialogue. At least in Massachusetts, sports, tourism and the arts are all lumped together as 'culture'

I like the idea of an opposing viewpoints series of art shows to promote dialogue amongst people who have different opinions (art=culture=relevancy)

If you support all the arts, and all secondary fields like design, crafts, architecture, advertising, documentaries etc.. you wind up with an initiative to support a creative economy initiative across all fields that promote creative work which is another model Massachusetts is promoting right now. With the help of the NEA who has earmarked money for all fields of design, because there is more potential for job creation, entrepreneurship and start-ups in design fields, New England is vying to receive these dollars to support web design, advertising, publishing jobs that indirectly benefit artists and art centers. I'm still curious if the Secretary for the Arts (which in my mind does not mean only visual arts) would somehow be appointed to run the NEA in other words, the change may not be as significant as anticipated. The other model Massachusetts is spearheading is a joint committee on Art, Tourism and Culture in the State House where public and private partnerships are sought to support the arts and culture in MA. One example is Main Street initiative which was a project of the National Trust for Historic preservation but the City of Boston adopted it as a model and money is used to preserve the architectural heritage of a main street and businesses are encouraged to work together to promote the identity of their city. In my neighborhood, they started a 1st Thursday event where musicians, artists, poets, all turn out for performances and shows along the main street and the cafes give out free coffee, and snacks. I think it's a danger to think too narrowly about the potential Secretary of the Arts position or the Arts in general because so many other fields support the arts and touch our lives as artists indirectly.

I think what the arts need at a national level is re-branding in the eyes of the public who think that national support for the arts=mapplethorpe, piss christ and karen finlay. I think at a national level, you're going to have to get a direction or an administrative charge from Obama to steer the national arts policy in a certain direction. It should involve the NEA who tends to fund organizations as well as the SBA who tends to understand entrepreneurs and perhaps the needs of the individual artist and lobbying groups like the American for the Arts, for starters. If you want the Secretary of the Arts to promote the fine arts, or the highest attainment in the arts, look at what fields the pulitzer and macarthur recognize, and set a course in that direction.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
Ries, if you think you can usurp me for the ugliest art of the year award you are sadly mistaken,.. And you are a brigand and a pirate and a scoundrel.

I challenge you and anyone else to an ugly art duel. Ugly art to be auctioned off this summer and all proceeds donated to a puppy shelter.
i can do ugly.

maybe some shorts full of splinters, iam wearing a pair right now.

you should see the tie dye look they have from the sawdust that mixed with
the sweat.
Key West mahogany makes the best tie dye.

i have a ugly steam bent piece if you want to see it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

Some people's ugly is other people's beautiful. I think a lot of "ugly" work is much more interesting than "pretty" work.. Sure, let's see.

RE: Ted Kennedy,... Let's just make O.J. Simpson the NFL commissioner while we're at it..
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Level 10 user

Donna - post 56. Excellent post. It reminds me that the old bohemianism just won't do these days (although if you are one, then enjoy!). These kinds of projects protect the arts, and advance their significance.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Level 8 user

Donna- excellent points! I wish to intitute something like that "first Thursday" you spoke of. But hey, your in BOSTON ! a very liberal, progressive, multi-cultured town. I love Boston grew up in Southern Maine, and know all about small, white towns without culture or awareness. Now I live in a town comparable to Portsmouth, NH, but not as rich. Hows life in Boston?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Level 3 user

Thanks for your feedback. Life in Boston is good. I joined the Boston Sculptors Gallery this year and will have a solo show next year, www.bostonsculptors.com. Boston has the advantage of the State Capital being in the city and there are some good people in the state house so there is the opportunity for involvement in the gallery scene and art market of the city as well as the legislative action and politics of the art world. Check out the new initiative, Boston World Partnerships, http://bostonworldpartnerships.com/ that is coming to town...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Level 3 user

Alot of communities that I know of have a gallery night, for example,

Providence, Rhode Island has 3rd Thursdays, http://www.gallerynight.info/ It is a public/private partnership between city, state & corporate sponsors.

Concord, New Hampshire has ART CONCORD which is a multi-group opening of Concord Art Galleries open on the same night for everyone’s enjoyment, under the sponsorship of the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce, for information: www.concordnhchamber.com

Boston has 1st Fridays in the gallery district, SoWA (South of Washington St) when all the galleries coordinate their opening receptions from 6-8p. Since most galleries rent from the same landlord, the management company plays a role in coordinating communication, parking and logistics at the event.

Western Ave Studios in Lowell, Massachusetts has FIRST SATURDAYS Open Studios - First Saturday of every month, noon to 5pm - Western Avenue Studios opens its doors to the public. Come browse the latest works by our artists!http://www.westernavenuestudios.com/

And most communities have an annual Open Studios weekend, it seems.

Good luck getting something started in your community!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Level 3 user

And Hudson Art Galleries, in Hudson, New York, http://www.hudsonartgalleries.com/ coordinates gallery openings on one Saturday of the month, I think. They are known for having some of the best restaurants in the region so the foot traffic it generates benefits the Main Street businesses as well as the galleries.

Last edited by donnadodsonarti : 01-23-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Level 10 user

[quote=donnadodsonarti;71780]I think what the arts need at a national level is re-branding in the eyes of the public who think that national support for the arts=mapplethorpe, piss christ and karen finlay. I think at a national level, you're going to have to get a direction or an administrative charge from Obama to steer the national arts policy in a certain direction. [quote]

See, now you're talking censorship and the mere fact that a piss christ can exist tells me there is no censorship at present and I for one would like to see it continue on that way.. I'm not disagreeing with you in that the U.S. could use a good "re-brand" to bring legitimacy to Art, but that is another story entirely. What concerns me, even disgusts me is that governments have already done these things across the globe and the results were all the same: Saddam statues in the end, one and all... I am all in favor of excess monies being given out as grants to Artists and such with reasonable proposals for public works and the like. The problem is that in Mass (I grew up there) and in other "progressive" states like California (where I also lived), the government workforce exceeds the civilian one and there is no excess money as there should be. In fact these models are failing, these two states are bankrupt, the populations flee like locusts to other states and wreck them too. Keep the govt. away from Art and all will be well. Involve them, and pretty soon we'll see towns riddled with little Stalins. For the first time in history the U.S. govt. is larger than the U.S. manufacturing and construction workforces combined. 1 in 14 workers is a govt. one. 1 in 15 is a manufacturer or construction worker. Just who do they think they get their paycheck from?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Level 6 user

Cool Re: Sec. of Arts petition

Yes, I think there needs to be redirections to art. The higher universities and arts management put out art for artists. Everything can be art, we can dig holes in the ground and call it art. Which i think is one side of the spectrum but we need art for the people. Art for coal miners art for children. Art that reaches the heart of this country. I do not think art needs to be abstaract and esoteric to be art. Art is thought provoking and/ beautiful and many other things: it represents our culture and generation.

I do not agree with censorship, but i think artists should have ethics. People hurt dogs and call it art. I guess you can call it what you want the community of artists is responsible for putting down "unethical" projects. What ethics should we follow? It is for us to decide. For me: don't hurt animals, do not mass produce, know your medium and do not hurt people.

Art can be many things, it would be nice if "Sculpture" mag. would show more than just art for artists. That would be a good start!

Z
Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Level 10 user

Long before we need a Secretary of Arts, we need a Secretarty of Stopping Government From Spending Borrowed and Stolen Money Like Drunken Sailors. *

* with apologies to sailors, who even if drunk are more fiscally responsible and certainly contribute more to the world than most politicians.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Art can be many things, it would be nice if "Sculpture" mag. would show more than just art for artists. That would be a good start!
Let's see who is buying the magazine most likely... ?
Those other folks who just like to look at sculpture... well let's hope they're frequenting the galleries, museums & studio crawls, buying books & catalogues of things they like, and hopefully a few sculptures too.
It's sorta like a trade magazine. I don't expect the ones I get to cater to my interests, they have their own agenda.