Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Level 10 user

Bob Rauschenberg 1925-2008

Artist Robert Rauschenberg dies
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5777329.html

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...BpifwD90KVR6O0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rauschenberg 1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	8407  
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Bob Rauschenberg 1925-2008

The process — an improvisatory, counterintuitive way of doing things — was always what mattered most to him.
“Screwing things up is a virtue,” he said when he was 74. “Being correct is never the point."

in the NY Times
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
"The most famous thing he said was that he worked in the gap between art and life," said John Elderfield, chief curator of painting and sculpture at New York's Museum of Modern Art. "I think what he meant by this is life was his materials as much as art was his materials
i liked this quote too.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Rauschenberg is one of my favorite artists. I really love his combines and come to think of it, just about everything else that he did.
I feel very lucky to have seen a lot of his work when I lived in NYC.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Level 10 user

Rauschenberg 1925-2008

I just got through reading his book, Breaking Boundaries. Only recently in that book did I learn that he was dyslexic. According to research, dyslexia is not a handicap but "an alternative mode of perception."
How did he reach creativity?
"I have several tricks", he said. "One of them is pretending I have an idea. But that trick doesn't survive very long because I don't really trust ideas - especially good ones. Rather, I put my trust in the materials that confront me, because they put me in touch with the unknown. It is then that I begin to work...when I don't have the comfort of sureness and certainty. Another good trick is fatigue. I like to start working when it is almost too late...when nothing else helps...when my sense of efficiency is exhausted. It is then that I find myself in another state, quite outside myself, and when that happens there's so much joy! It is an incredible high and things start flowing and you have no idea of a source." (1977)

Last edited by marblecutter : 05-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
like to start working when it is almost too late...when nothing else helps...when my sense of efficiency is exhausted. It is then that I find myself in another state, quite outside myself, and when that happens there's so much joy! It is an incredible high and things start flowing and you have no idea of a source." (1977)
You also have no idea where your fingers are. Best not to use power tools then? Or is it just me?
Interesting...
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Level 10 user

It is always good to see artists at work.
1997 video : Robert Rauschenberg / Man at Work is an interesting one.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Level 10 user

Here is an appreciation from the LA Times.

Reading it, one can feel his attitude to creativity, exploration, curiosity, and life.

Memories of Rauschenberg: 'A giant among artists'

Artist Robert Rauschenberg used to say he intended for his work to fill the gap between art and life -- and the morning after his death, friends and colleagues were left struggling for words to describe the gap he left in their lives and in the art world.

"My first thought was, the world won't be the same without him, but then I thought: We still have him," said Rosamund Felsen, owner of the Rosamund Felsen Gallery at Santa Monica's Bergamot Station, ...

Colleagues credited the influential, Texas-born artist with breaking the boundaries traditionally separating painting, sculpture and other forms of artistic expression.

Rauschenberg's son Christopher, 56, a photographer in Portland, Ore., said his father's work -- considered a bridge between the Abstract Expressionism of the 1950s and 1960s Pop art -- tended to confound academics steeped in traditional art history. ...

Felsen Rosamund Felsen Gallery said she had known Rauschenberg ... since 1967, when he came to Gemini G.E.L. ...

Felsen is a founding partner of L.A.’s Gemini G.E.L., one of the country's foremost publishers of art lithography, .. One of the Gemini's first prints was by Rauschenberg, who was instrumental in bringing other contemporary artists, such as Jasper Johns, Claes Oldenburg and Roy Lichtenstein, to Gemini.

"... he was the most influential person in my life," Rosamund Felsen said. "Not only in terms of thinking about art, looking at art, but thinking about life."

The art dealer recalled an odd trip she once took through the alleys of Los Angeles with Rauschenberg: "He would stop at dumpsters, and he would look for interesting pieces of cardboard with printing on them; that obviously became his prototype for the cardboard series he was working on at that time." Rauschenberg's mid-'70s series included simple cardboard-box sculptures that would later be valued in the millions.

Grinstein and his wife, Elyse, ... recalled their many years working with an artist they described as boundlessly optimistic and nonjudgmental.

"He was one of the great artists of our century, and he opened art to all the other artists," Elyse Grinstein said. "He gave them permission to use everything in the world. Everything they saw around them could be part of the art."

She added one of her favorite quotes from the artist. "He'd say: 'I do that art I do because I want to see it.' He said that if somebody else had done it, he wouldn't have to." ...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Level 10 user

Rauschenberg 1925-2008

I created several collages while reading his books and seeing his films this year. I first saw his work in the Dallas - Fort-Worth area in 1986 while attending college.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01582.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	8413  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01583.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	8414  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03365.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	8415  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03375.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	8416  
Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Level 10 user

I met him twice. Once at one of his openings in Houston and then again at the Chuck Close retro gala. Hes was actually out amongst us regular folk, conversing with Jasper Johns; I thought "oh, this is just too classic" so I upended my wine cup and approached the both of them, thanking them for their contributions to the twentieth century. They both shook my hand timidly with an "oookaaaaay...thanks" look on their faces. I didn't bother them further. I also shook the hand of a 98 year old Paul Cadmus that night - the inspiration for my sculptures of the seven deadly sins.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Sculptor

From what I gather, he was raised partly in western Louisiana from an early age, and did some of his early work in several cities there, as well as Houston. I've admired the work and his evidently boundless energy since I first saw it. One of the truly creative figures of our era.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Level 10 user

Rauschenberg 1925-2008

Recent work inspired by reading about Ernest Milton Rauschenberg. He changed his first name to Bob and people started calling him Robert. Milton was the name of a screen actor with whom his mother fell in love (she never met him).
The collage below is part of a series that was done a few weeks ago, using horse feed bags, full pages of the N.Y. Times Fashion and Travel sections painted over partially with white translucent paint, black and red recycled inks from print cartridges. Hand painted Chinese calligraphy, meaning Alive in the Bitter Sea is the title of a book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itp15...n-At-Work-2008
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ala 2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	8417  Click image for larger version

Name:	ala 1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	8418  Click image for larger version

Name:	ala 3.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	8419  

Last edited by marblecutter : 05-16-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Level 10 user

A 1997 Charlie Rose show with Chuck Close in the first part and Rauschenberg in the second where he talked about the Guggenheim retrospective. I learn from this interview that he had quit drinking two years before. He said drinking made him more depressed and was the cause of his depression and that he now feels much better about life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pPcAaZ2xk&NR=1
Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Level 10 user

So he quit drinking at 70...sounds like a good plan.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Level 10 user

Serendipity... I just turned on the TV and caught the Charlie Rose interview.

It was my good fortune to meet Rauschenberg back in the 90's when he was in Dallas to receive an award for his contributions to the arts from the Meadows Foundation at SMU. He was definitely still drinking back then, but what I remember most is his good natured attitude, willingness to talk graciously with everyone sharing all his experiences and that infectious grin. It was a glorious merger of Tyronasaurus Rex and Cheshire Cat that grew even bigger every time a camera appeared. The retrospective exhibition he had in Houston at the Contemporary Art Museum, the Menil Collection and Houston Museum of Fine Arts (simultaneously) was impressive beyond belief. As Charlie Rose said, "One of the truely great American Artists."
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Level 10 user

Art as a coping mechanism for depression
Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Level 4 user

marblecutter, thank you very, very much for post #5. i couldn't have said it better myself...well maybe a little since i am living my dream and not his.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Level 10 user

Rauschenberg Elegy

Great video from Art 21 and other Sources:
http://blog.art21.org/2008/05/23/ele...-rauschenberg/