Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Level 10 user

Stone-carving class by Garrity at New Bedford

RJD offers stone-carving class

March 16, 2008. The Rotch-Jones-Duff House & Garden Museum (RJD) will offer a four-day stone-sculpting workshop April 3 through 6, titled "The Rhythms of Stone," with renowned sculptor D.J. Garrity.

Mr. Garrity conceived of the idea for his class when he was the sculptor-in-residence at Mount Rushmore, scaling the face of Thomas Jefferson for a year. After introducing classes at Mount Rushmore, he decided to offer workshops from coast to coast at locations such as the U.S. Botanical Gardens in Washington, D.C., and Chicago's Botanical Gardens, and this April, at the RJD.

Students will be guided with a hands-on approach using the human face as their template. "What we are trying to do," Mr. Garrity explains, "is create faces emerging from the stone."

The class is limited to 12 participants (age 18 and older). ... Pre-registration is required, so contact the museum at (508) 997-1401 to register. ...
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Stone-carving class by Garrity at Botanical Gardens?

Do you know when will he be in the Washington DC area? That sounds like an interesting workshop. Is it only for Masters, or can a novice attend? I have been working on an Alabaster piece in class only, so I have minimal experience with stone. And I find it terribly frustrating. I checked his website and did not see any reference to this workshop.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Stone-carving class by Garrity at New Bedford

Klron, if you click into the link I showed, you'd find this.

"The class is limited to 12 participants (age 18 and older) and it is appropriate for both the novice and experienced carver."

About Garrity offering classes in other location, do a Google search using say the keywords "sculptor D.J. Garrity". You may find what you want. Apparently he conducts classes all around the US.

Last edited by Merlion : 03-18-2008 at 12:11 AM.