Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Level 1 user

Help!! 9 x 11 feet wood sculpture: dragon, phonix, turtle, tiger...

This is my first time visiting this website; I think it is such a great website. I already learn a few things from it. The reason why I visit this site is because I have a couple of questions that I need help with. I hope that the people in this forum would kindly help me.

My cousin lives in Vietnam and he owns a wood sculpture. The sculpture is 2.7 by 3.3 meter (8ft 10inch by 10ft 10inch). It weight from 1000 to 1200 kg (2200 lbs to 2645 lbs). This wood sculpture came from a root of a tree call Hopea odorata. This tree is call “cay sao” in Vietnamese. He does not know the age of the tree sculpture or the wood that it is carved in.

The sculpture has two sides. One side of the sculpture has the four Chinese mythology spiritual creatures. The four celestial creatures include the Dragon, Phoenix, Turtle and Tiger and these guardians guards the four directions on the compass.

The other side of the sculpture has five figures and each represent Good Luck, Prosperity, Longevity, Happiness and Wealth.

My cousin does not know of the name of the artist, but he said that the root was dug up in Dong Nai, Vietnam. When it was dug up, there were already resemblance of these 9 figures and animals, thus give the artist the inspiration to sculpt the root.

Now, my cousin wants to sell the root. But he does not know the business of selling an art work. He wants to know what is the possible price range for the sculpture and how will he be able to sell it. I hope that this forum is able to help him answer those questions. I have provided pictures of the sculpture at the bottom. Both my cousin and I think that this piece of art work is priceless but my cousin needs the money and at the same time he does not want to devalue this piece of art work and sell it at a cheap price. If you have any comments or suggestions, we would love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading this long message!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict25.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	10586  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict55.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	10587  Click image for larger version

Name:	pict1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	10588  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict51.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	10589  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Level 10 user

Thumbs up Re: Help!! 9 x 11 feet wood sculpture: dragon, phonix, turtle, tiger...

Mind blowing! Absolutely mind blowing!!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Help!! 9 x 11 feet wood sculpture: dragon, phonix, turtle, tiger...

I recently did some work for a carousel company in Mansfield Ohio. They charge roughly $5500 to $10,000 per horse/ride. Each horse takes a week or two to make. This piece is so far beyond anything commercially carved, I'd have to say that it could be valued in the 100s of thousands category.

I'd contact the top dollar auction houses. The really rich need to see this. Send out a lot of e-mails with these images and wait. Patience will be needed inorder to get what you all deserve.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Level 1 user

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the comment. I will relate to my cousin that he should be patience. Do you know of any auction houses that I should contact? I am really blind in this area.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Auction houses would be Sotheby's or Christie's.
As I see it, crating and shipping such a heavy and beautiful object will be a real job. It's got to be well padded and done right to avoid breakage. Also, how much to insure it for? This piece is not a cheap trinket!!!!!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

And get those cheap christmas tree lights off of it and take some better pictures.

Thank you for showing this work, it is very precious..
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Sculptor

An astonishing piece of work. Sotheby's or Christie's certainly would be the route for appraisal and sale. They operate pretty much worldwide, and the Asian market has been very good (until the current financial crises).
Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Level 1 user

Thank you everyone for replying to my thread. It has been very helpful. I am looking into both Sotherby's and Christie's. Both Sotherby's and Christie's have branches in Hong Kong, and the sculpture is in Vietnam. It would be easier to move to Hong Kong than to the US. I am still waiting for my cousin to take better pictures of the scrulpture, and then contact either Sotherby's or Christie's. Of couse, when i get the new pictures, i will post it up in here so everyone can have a better look at it without the christmas light.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Level 10 user

I'm not sure with the economy the way it is right now globally that it's really viable or a good idea to try to sell something like this at this time. It may sell now, but 10 cents on the dollar of it's true value in a good economy isnt a very good return.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Level 1 user

Hi Landseer,

Thank you for you advice. I told my cousin about what you wrote and my cousin agree with you. After a talk with my cousin, i don't think we will be selling this sculpture anytime soon, because this is our first time selling some thing like this and both of us are not familar with auction. We are going to do a bit of research before we start selling something this valuable. My cousin is still rethinking of whether or not he wants to sell it since he love this piece of art.

By the way, does anyone know about the rule at art auction house? I mention having the srulpture in for aution with my cousin and he is a bit unsure about it. He told me that in Vietnam, the rich gather together and pressure the cause of an expensive art piece at auction house thus making it less valuable than it should be and the artist get rip off. So i am wondering if this is common. I hope not, since i haven't heard of anything like this before, but anything is possible nowaday.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Level 10 user

These auctions are seen all over the world and a piece like that would be shown in a catalog long before the auction. Bids can be made over the phone or on line during the auction, thus it can not be controlled by the buyers present in the showroom.

The trick would be getting it to Hong Kong. Best get advise from the auction house you choose, maybe have them transport it for a larger cut of the sale price. I kind of doubt that who ever buys this has money problems much more than usual.

The market might bring the price of this down, but not the lust to obtain it. Waiting might be wise, unless someone wants to take it from you.

Thatch
Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Level 2 user

ok farmer so what is the outcome so far? The advice here is really excellent. Definitely ship to Hong Kong.