Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Public displaying of Nude Art

My neighbor went to Brussels on business and mailed me a post card, of the little boy taking a piss. Maybe I ought to complain to the Postmaster General that inappropriate visual images are going through the mail and that if a child saw it they might never piss again.
I think there ought to be a sub catagory to this nude art that some are finding upsetting. Lets' call it "Yanking your chain!!!". Some of you are ringing like church bells.

Thatch
Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Level 10 user

Eyeglass store assures second Bleecker ad will also get a rise

By Lori Haught

Residents and merchants of Bleecker St. will see no more of the controversial SEE Eyewear ad, which was removed from the future storefront sometime last week.

Richard Golden, founder and president of SEE, said the ad was removed because it was rendered useless by vandalism. The ad had featured a burly construction worker grabbing his crotch with the words, “I got your glasses right here!” A few days after the ad was put up, some person or persons spray-painted over the offending area, then tore it off.

“I’m satisfied that they took it down,” Marco Ticas, from Blaustein Paint and Hardware, said. Ticas was concerned when the billboard first went up because of the street’s high traffic of school children.

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...lassstore.html
Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Level 10 user

Animals are naked. How about animal sculptures in public? How much can they show? Are there objections? Here is an example from Phoenix.

Developer to scrap lion statues with bared anatomy

PHOENIX -- Eight lion statues with bared anatomy will have to find a new kingdom.

The statues guard a children's water fountain park and sit across from what will soon be Arizona's largest cineplex in Glendale, just north of the new University of Phoenix Stadium.

The concrete beasts are depicted raising their rear-ends in the air, each hovering over a terror-stricken ram in what some perceive as a sexually suggestive pose. The lions' tails are swished to the side, leaving their, er, pride in plain view.

Developer Ellman Cos., which is building the Westgate shopping and entertainment plaza, said the statues will be gone before the center welcomes its first customers next month.

"We're removing more than the anatomy," company spokesman Jeffrey Hecht said. "We're removing all the lions."

Hecht said Ellman was not pressured to get rid of the beasts. "(The statues) represent too much of a gargoyle or medieval feel that was out of place from the Arizona Deco architecture of the center," he said.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Animals are naked. How about animal sculptures in public? How much can they show? Are there objections? Here is an example from Phoenix.

Developer to scrap lion statues with bared anatomy

The concrete beasts are depicted raising their rear-ends in the air, each hovering over a terror-stricken ram in what some perceive as a sexually suggestive pose. The lions' tails are swished to the side, leaving their, er, pride in plain view.
I like animals the way they are- naked, some of us want to see the whole natural anatomy left intact. All I can say is people are insane when it comes to the slightest hint of sex organs, that's why Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny are always called him and he but they don't have the parts to demonstrait that, or the pants to cover them if they did.

The same idiots who object to "nude" wildlife are the ones who would require they wear clothes or covering in the field.

The article has no pictures, I want to see the lions!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Sculptor

From this news report, I'd say the lions are not in a natural pose, but something the artist considered provocative. I want to see pictures before responding further.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Level 10 user

Sigh! Of course it would be interesting to see the pictures of the lions. If they are easy to find, I would already have posted the links. Perhaps Fused can have a go at it.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:39 AM
Level 10 user

It is always a possibility the original sculptor had something in mind to be secretly provocative like an inside joke, that no one else would "get" but someone else "in the know," you know?
Sort of like the colored hanky system that was used by peope trying to make contacts in bars in the 70's- the message depended on the color as well as which pocket it was displayed in.

If I saw a photo and maybe a name I might be able to tell more, but the pose sounds similar to Barye or Mene's lion killing another animal bronze- very violent looking, lots of action, I can't visualise anyone finding a sexually suggestive theme from THAT pose even with a swished tail, so I am guessing that since lions have pretty prominent testes the objection is just seeing those, the "children might see them" is just a coverup excuse I find more and more used as a weapon for there is no way to defend against that, because defending against that you are then painted as not caring about the CHILDREN.

I searched for a photo merlion, didnt find one, Delvoy's deer were easier to find but even the deer were photographed by the newspapers in such a way as to HIDE most of it geez!
One went so far as to crop everything but the HEADS out, but I obtained the uncensored versions from other sources.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Level 10 user

Well, well, Lanseer & Fritchie, instead of showing a picture of the bare bottom lion statues, I can show a blog about the odd behavior of a New Zealand man with a statue of a ram.

The blog would be a good ammunition for people who are against installing naked animal sculptures.

I'm afraid there is no picture of the man in his act.

Kiwi in ram-shagging shock

A New Zealander admitted to simulating sex with a statue of a ram while, a court in the Rotorua district of New Zealand heard.

Ronald Benjamin Holden, a 34-year-old sales manager, said that he was 'just being a clown' when he pulled down his pants and simulated having sex with the statue, which was of a merino ram.

Impressively, he managed to be seen not only by a policeman who happened to be passing by, but also a bus filled with over forty tourists – who took pictures of him doing the dirty with the statue. .....
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

LOL merlion that's funny!
Darn, he wasn't thinking, with 10 sheep per person there he could have had the real thing.
There's plenty of photos and video clips around that could illustrait the story well enough but they'd never print em.

Still want to see the lions
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
I want to see pictures before responding further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseer
Still want to see the lions
Ah, hah! Good news Landseer and Fritchie. I finally got a good picture of one of the eight 'anatomically correct' lion statues at Phoenix mentoned at post #153 above. See link and news story below. It is not only the picture, but also the good news for Landseer that the lions will be sold.

Mall's lion statues to get names, be sold

You now have a chance to buy one of eight anatomically correct lion statues, which had originally been planned for Westgate City Center until they became controversial.

Starting this weekend, Internet users will be able to log on to the Glendale shopping and entertainment center's Web site and submit names for the lions.

And developer Ellman Cos. will auction the concrete beasts for charity at the end of next month, just two weeks after the center's slated Nov. 17 debut.

Guarding the entrances of a children's park at the Glendale Avenue project, the lions are depicted raising their bottoms in the air, each with a ram trapped under it in what some perceive as a sexually suggestive pose.

And the lions' tails are swished to the side, exposing certain parts of their anatomy. .....

To get people's creative juices flowing, Hecht already has named the first lion: Matt Lionart, a play off the name of the Cardinals' quarterback, who plays in nearby University of Phoenix Stadium.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Level 10 user

THAT'S the lion causing all this rukus??? this design must be the LOUSIEST looking lion I've seen yet- not only looks emaciated, it's just a poor design, but I guess being strictly a commercial prop it doesn't matter.

Quote:

...it in what some perceive as a sexually suggestive pose.

How in the WORLD do people come up with that -CRAP-? those people must live sheltered lives in a convent or something! this statement is just the most insane I've read.

Quote:
And the lions' tails are swished to the side, exposing certain parts of their anatomy. .....
Geez, genitals and a penis or testicles are treated with this same PC -crap- like "F word", it's called TESTICLES and I noted the paper didn't even show the back of the lion- it's a concrete STATUE for crying out loud!

I sent this to the reporter who wrote the story just now.
Anyway thanks for the photo Merlion, I still want to see the back end if any paper EVER get's "brave" enough to publish the photo!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Level 10 user

I agree the lion statue is a poor piece of artwork. But we can't expect a shopping mall to install a few pieces of stone carved masterpieces, can we?
It is not a rich NYC or other large city art museum.

About exposing the male bottom protrusions, as animals are naked, this is not much of a big deal for animal statues. Perhaps you can sculpt and show us the details.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I agree the lion statue is a poor piece of artwork. But we can't expect a shopping mall to install a few pieces of stone carved masterpieces, can we?
It is not a rich NYC or other large city art museum.
Yeah but made of concrete, you'd figure the company that made them would have hired better sculptors for the original design, this looks like they hired a $4.75 an hour guy off the street

Quote:
About exposing the male bottom protrusions, as animals are naked, this is not much of a big deal for animal statues. Perhaps you can sculpt and show us the details.
I could post close-up photos but they wouldn't be sculptures they'd be the real thing. No, I won't, but way on the back burner of model ideas I might do one of that marble shown further back in the thread, the Pan and the Goat carving, or even a parody of it, but it would be a very complex model needing an armature.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

some of these posts are hilarious.

Why not call this section of the thread: The Leonine Family Jewels Imbroglio.

Keep posting. We all need a good laugh what with elections coming up.

Lou
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlouis
We all need a good laugh what with elections coming up.
Yes, we all need a good laugh. (At least you have a vote, a say, not us.)

Last edited by Merlion : 10-27-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Merlion

You are not allowed to vote? Is Singapore not a parliamentry republic? I somehow had the impression, I don't know why, that voting was compulsary in Singapore. Maybe its Indonesia.

Regards, Lou
Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

As this is too much off topic, Tiouis, I've sent you a PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Level 10 user

Ok, here are the real lion family jewels as seen in nature, they ARE a prominent feature so leaving them out is pretty stupid;

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...dall2/lion.jpg

And on what appears to be cast iron that was painted black, some of the paint is chipped off on the tail;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ion-bronze.jpg

And one in stone in Paris on the bridge;

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lion-stone.jpg

Last edited by Landseer : 10-28-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseer
Ok, here are the real lion family jewels as seen in nature, they ARE a prominent feature so leaving them out is pretty stupid;
I agree, that it would be stupid to leave out natural body parts of animals. After reviewing the photos originally posted in this thread, though, I can see why some people objected to the sculptures. I don't think it is the "family jewels" that disturbs people so much as does the position of the lion over the ram. It is a suggestive pose which could be considered inappropriate for entrance to a childrens' area.

Since I do mainly horses and have seen it "all" in the real equine world (I bred, raised, trained and showed National winning horses), there are a lot of things that I would not sculpt for children to view. That includes a stallion mounting a mare. Do you have any idea how big and long a horse's penis is when extended? They are very prodigious and although it is something natural, it does not mean that it is something wholesome for small children to view. I did see a bronze sculpture years ago at a venue I was attending with this scene as the inspiration for the bronze. It was tastelessly done and all of the people I saw viewing it were snickering, gufawing and pointing to it to their friends. It became an object of ridicule and scorn. It does not mean that all of these people were prudes; it's just that there is a time and place for everything and this sculpture did not fit in with the venue (which included small children). My bronzes and resins have always been anatomically correct. I do not hide parts of their anatomy for fear of reprisal, but I also keep in mind what is considered tasteful and tasteless in society if these sculptures will be viewed in the public.

The examples in the previous post are good examples of anatomical parts which ARE in public places which are acceptible. If not, they would also have been removed. I just think that the whole concept of the lions and rams was unacceptible for the venue in which they were placed. Just my $.02 worth.

"Malicious talk always circulates around people who are too successful, too proper, too talented, too well spoken, too well dressed, and too-too-much." James Mackitosh Quilleran
Old 10-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseModels
I agree, that it would be stupid to leave out natural body parts of animals. After reviewing the photos originally posted in this thread, though, I can see why some people objected to the sculptures. I don't think it is the "family jewels" that disturbs people so much as does the position of the lion over the ram. It is a suggestive pose which could be considered inappropriate for entrance to a childrens' area.
I'm not sure, it was probably both, the articles I read all mentioned how the lion's tails were swished to the side showing...- and then the article sidesteps "testicles" used as even a medical term- like it was the "F" word.

Quote:
That includes a stallion mounting a mare. Do you have any idea how big and long a horse's penis is when extended?
Some of us know all of this a little more in depth on this topic than you might think or wish to imagine. There are also plenty of photos and videos clips which amply show any details one wishes to see- including A.I and natural matings, so yes, I DO know the size- approximately 30" , or for ease of visualizing- figure on roughly the size of man's arm, 12-18" for a mini, up to 8 or 9 for a large dog.
But penis size is not the point at least with the lions (though I know what you are speaking of in regards to OTHER models) as the lion's were not in a mating position with an erection, they were simply in a pose that SOME 'think' they see as "sexual"- typically I would bet they get all upset over nude animals in the field, or as I've read once- a woman who was so upset seeing a couple of horses mate in a field next to where she lived, she filed a complaint or lawsuit I forget which, and wanted a fence put up.

The thing is, do we remove everything that 99% enjoy because 1% don't like it?

Quote:
They are very prodigious and although it is something natural, it does not mean that it is something wholesome for small children to view.
You have to remember one thing- back in the days pre 1900 when horses were THE automobile of the day, the children not only knew how to ride them, but living around horses and farms they no doubt saw PLENTY, daddy no doubt helped the stallion into the mare and all the rest of the chores around the farm with the kid's help, it was a normal natural daily occurance just like disposing of the dead animals was, so what's the big deal NOW with kids seeing these things?

Quote:
I did see a bronze sculpture years ago at a venue I was attending with this scene as the inspiration for the bronze. It was tastelessly done and all of the people I saw viewing it were snickering, gufawing and pointing to it to their friends. It became an object of ridicule and scorn.
I suspect much of it had to do with embarassment, but if it was tastelessly done then that was it's shortfall, OTH if it was done more like the Pan and the Goat marble from Herculaneum shown further back in this thread, I suspect the story would have been different. There's a difference between crude, rude, pornographic for shock value, and a sensitively done model of the same scene.

I have seen a bronze of a dog defecating, in fact I bought it on Ebay because it was so different and unique, but returned it right away only because the cast and the model were so POORLY done it looked like someone's first attempt at sculpting.

Quote:
t does not mean that all of these people were prudes; it's just that there is a time and place for everything and this sculpture did not fit in with the venue (which included small children).
Granted, a scene of a lion ATTACKING a ram by the throat in a death grip would be inappropriate and upsetting for a children's park display, I didn't see THIS lion and ram in that pose. I did at first assume it was a violent death grip according to the article which indicated the lion was attacking or pouncing on the ram, but when I saw it in the photo, it was near Disney-land character in it's execution- like Bugs Bunny holding Daffy duck down on the ground, I had to laugh!

I would say it's almost more along the lines of the Biblical "Lion shall lay with the lamb" theme than either violence or sexual, but then I've only seen the one angle view.

Quote:
My bronzes and resins have always been anatomically correct. I do not hide parts of their anatomy for fear of reprisal, but I also keep in mind what is considered tasteful and tasteless in society if these sculptures will be viewed in the public.
All of my animal models and dog bronzes have always been male, and correct, but as you point out indirectly- showing an erection on a model might be a bit out of place, then again horses as you know "relax" sometimes and their penis shows, usually at bad times.

Quote:
The examples in the previous post are good examples of anatomical parts which ARE in public places which are acceptible. If not, they would also have been removed. I just think that the whole concept of the lions and rams was unacceptible for the venue in which they were placed.
Those lions I posted were all done in the 19th century or earlier, in the "prudish" Victoria era, they were perfectly acceptable or as you point out- they wouldn't be there, so why is TODAY during th so called free enlightenment times would they NOT be acceptable!

I can agree that lions attacking a ram- in a childrens park is a stupid place to put them, but then again, at some point kids HAVE to learn that like it or not- lions, wolves etc DO catch, brutally slaughter (according to OUR ethics) , tear apart while still alive and eat ~Bambi~, and that most baby animals in many species never make it to adulthood- they become food for other animals.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Level 10 user

Controversy over the topic raised in this thread is never ending not only in the US, but also all over the world. This is the story from South Africa, interestingly published in a Zambia site.

Town gets knickers in a knot for naked statue

A giant carbon steel statue of a naked black man erected above the entrance of a new upmarket apartment block on Strand's beachfront is causing a stir in the conservative town.

The 750kg, 2,6m high statue, titled Positive, created by local sculptor Angus Taylor, was lifted into place by a crane in front of Cape Sands on Friday.

Strand couple Cirina and Frans Louw said it was scandalous.

"We were shocked to see how big it is," she said.

"It is disgusting. If the owner likes it so much he should put it in his lounge. Why must we Christians be subjected to this?"

"What about the children?" Frans wanted to know.

A Somerset West woman, who did not wish to be named, said: "I'm not used to seeing a naked man so it is intriguing."

To which her friend responded: "For such a big statue it's not well-endowed."

Engela Pienaar said: "This is a conservative town and by tomorrow it will probably have underpants or a robe on it."

The apartment block was built and is owned by Belgian architect Willy Woestyn who lives in Strand.

Woestyn, a patron of the arts, said: "When I designed this building, I created that specific space for a sculpture. I searched for the ideal creation for a year and when I saw this piece at an exhibition in Franschhoek, I knew it was the one. It's beautiful. I don't care what people say, it's here to stay."

He paid R100 000 [currently about US$14,000] for the work which was first placed outside the University of Potchefstroom where students painted an old South African flag over it. After that they also placed an apron on it. ....
Old 12-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:

"It is disgusting....Why must we Christians be subjected to this?"

"What about the children?" Frans wanted to know.

Engela Pienaar said: "This is a conservative town and by tomorrow it will probably have underpants or a robe on it."

Naturally, religion comes into it, the human NUDE body is filty, nasty and disgusting you know, even if it is metal it must be COVERED and it must be covered lest the CHIlDrUn see it!

No doubt it will have a robe over it, people are screwballs.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Level 10 user

This topic 'public displaying of nude art' never fails to attract attention and news stories. This story is again from the US, from a town called Brighton. Reaction is not all negative. The town official seems to like it.

Actually because a local resident, a gadfly, started complaining about a public nude art, this helped to publicise the statue and got people in the State notice the town's art Biennalle. "People are talking about art." This extra publicity made the organiser very happy.

Nude statue had tongues wagging

For several weeks in spring 2006, the bronze sculpture in front of Brighton's Mill Pond stood alone and unknown. Jay Holland's bronze sculpture, "Decision Pending," was just another one of the 28 sculptures in the Brighton Biennial, an outdoor sculpture exhibit.

Then he was discovered.

Brighton city resident and gadfly Susan Walters-Steinacker walked by and noticed he was nude and, let's just say, complete. She and a few other residents called a state senator's office to complain, and soon everyone was checking out the nude piece.

"Decision Pending" became a star, and the Brighton Biennial was put on the map.

People were driving into town and having their photographs taken beside the piece that has universally became known as the "naked man."

Although residents' opinions of the artwork varies, organizers of the Biennial accomplished their goal by placing artwork through downtown Brighton. People are talking about art.

"If it wasn't for Susan Walters-Steinacker, the Brighton Biennial would have gone unnoticed," said John Sauve, who organized the Biennial and serves as its curator.

Sauve said he received a telephone call from Holland, the nationally-known artist who created the nude sculpture, and how he appreciated what Walters-Steinacker had done.

Sauve said Holland told him, "We couldn't get this much press if we paid for it. I want to personally come out and thank her." .....
Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Level 10 user

Hi Merlion

Another very interesting post. Perhaps the complaining woman was disappointed the nude wasn't "energetic" enough for her.

Several pictures of this sculpture including a close-up of the offending member can be seen at:

www.detroitfunk.com

Viewers have posted comments. Some quite funny.

Happy New Year

Lou
Old 12-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Level 10 user

Merlion the sheep statue article was funny!

I love a good nude statue/painting but this picture is something I’d leave to children to find when they are old enough - let’s just say it’s too naked:

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/art...ny_saville.htm

Sorry it’s kinda back on topic. Nude/naked. Boundary’s/no Boundary’s.