Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Level 1 user

Selling copyright?

I am about to start an outdoor, bronze, figurative sculpture for a small town courthouse. The question has come up about selling the copyright to the town. They are interested in selling small copies. Has anybody had any experience with this and, if so, what would be a good range of pricing?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Selling copyright?

3% to 5% seems reasonable to me, assuming they deal with everything, and just send you a check.

I have had to sign contracts at various times where I gave up my copyright- Major League Baseball takes no prisoners, for example- but in reality, 99.99% of artists will never see somebody else actually make copies or products featuring their work, much less lose money to the copiers. MLB never made a single product featuring my work, they just dont want to ever not own EVERYTHING.

IF your name is Dali, or Koons, I suppose you could hire lawyers, but in cases like these, the amounts of money are so small, that I usually let the client do whatever they want, assuming they paid for the original piece.

Its not like they are going to sell a million dollars a year worth of these.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Selling copyright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by branko View Post
I am about to start an outdoor, bronze, figurative sculpture for a small town courthouse. The question has come up about selling the copyright to the town. They are interested in selling small copies. Has anybody had any experience with this and, if so, what would be a good range of pricing?
[Selling your copyright doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and if it isn't absoulutely required in order to get the commission, you might want to negotiate a licensing fee instead. That way the town can sell a certain number of these miniatures per year for a certain royalty payment (say up to 100 of them for 10% of gross) and you'd still retain the right to make reproductions for your own purposes. If you give up the copyright entirely, then you'd need their permission to use pictures of these works in your portfolio, for instance.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com