Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Level 10 user

Smile Does the field of Sculpture hold the greatest oppurtunity

This occurred to my yesterday and I felt compelled to share this question even though it may not be stated quite right. When I look at sculpture compared to say painting I see so many more possibilities. Exploration of new materials, creation both digitally and hands-on, overlap with architecture and design and so on. In fact, what made me think of this was not only my constant search for new materials but the realization that many of the new sky scrapers mimic the sculptures we created years ago. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Does the field of Sculpture hold the greatest oppurtunity

Every artist involves him/herself in the medium that they see-fit as the the one that provides him/her with the greatest opportunity to improve themselves. Identifying one's creative medium by looking OUT into the world to address anyone elses "need" (civilization's or society's perhaps) will simply have you finding a job; which is not nearly as potentially fulfilling and improving as personal isolated effort and un required toil.

For me, yes, sculpture is the area of interaction that is advancing me. Yet there might be a time when something else does...due to changes in mind and body.

Opportunities are everywhere. Folks will allways fight over them to survive and prosper. They have nothing to do with being a better artist, or a better individual (unless you fail and are unable to stay fueled and sheltered...but that is not a matter that has anything to do with the rigors of aesthetics).
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Level 10 user

'Sculpture' has a lot more methods and materials to be explored. 'Welded steel' is the newest method of Sculpture in over 2,000 yrs.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Level 10 user

I think you're right, but then I'm a sculptor too. You'd probably get more argument about this in a painting forum. Actually, it's a debate that's been going on for quite a while - Leonardo and Michelangelo went a few rounds on it, and I imagine you could get someone to take you on even now.

The definitions of painting and sculpture have eroded somewhat from the rather clear-cut distinctions of the Renaissance era, though. Now you can have paintings that act like sculpture, taking up 3-dimensional space, and sculptures that include painting as part of their surfaces, so that each art form can claim to have incorporated the other.

One thing sculpture definitely doesn't offer is the opportunity for easy sales. Galleries are much more likely to show flat art than sculpture, and are less likely to sell any sculpture they do show. It takes up more space, which people have less of these days, and it costs more to do, so factor that in.

But yes, the possibilities of what can be done with sculpture are expanding as technology diffuses down to the level where we can employ it, and I agree with your remark about architecture (although rigid codes in the US mean that the most innovative work is being done elsewhere.) Design is another field that's opening up to sculptural ideas, and it's certainly a more economically viable path than fine art (however you define that.) So whatever it is about sculpture that excites you, pursue that, and let us know how it goes, okay?

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Level 10 user

I was more inspired about this question when I thought of it I think the design and 3 d element may be hanging me up. I have seen furniture design that clearly is sculpture. Parks, fountains, building elements and facades. Set designs, jewelry, lighting, funerary. But not just products, fields, etc, it is also what a sculptor can bring to a particular endeavor.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Level 10 user

Blue, dont mix up art and craft (furniture, architecture and what-not). Lest we get into yet another big brouhaha. Okay, lets do it. Art vs.....all that other crap.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Yes I thought of that! Wise indeed.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Level 2 user

Smile Re: Does the field of Sculpture hold the greatest oppurtunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Blue, dont mix up art and craft (furniture, architecture and what-not). Lest we get into yet another big brouhaha. Okay, lets do it. Art vs.....all that other crap.
You made me laugh...very funny comment. I like....