Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Level 10 user

Re: budget cuts

My only class in sculpture was at a Community College and they also had a foundry. The teacher was really good with the figure and did jewelry design as well. He taught anatomy also and had great talent I thought. Most of the students were older women and were in the class for curiousity and something interesting to do. We did some life pieces from models and he would critique us, as I mentioned in an earlier post, he didn't care for certain tendencies in my style but he knew that I wanted to do this thing.
In my last class, our model arrived, disrobed in the area partitioned off for that purpose ,and emerged to take her place on the stand. She decided on a semi reclining position. And I had never seen such a beautiful woman in my life. The teacher was beside me and I could see that he was no longer his usual jaded self. Everyone reacted to her beauty.We all dug into the clay and started to work. I looked at her, in this regal pose, this amazing creature, and looked down at the mud in my hands...I turned to the teacher and said: "I'm supposed to make that with this?" He smiled and said "I know what you mean."
I left the class at that point. It was a great lesson for me.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Level 10 user

ha ha Mack ...
Took lots of figurative sculpture classes ... had the beauties ....had the little hippie chicks with green smegma in her crevices, ...had the guys with boners ...the exhibitionists ...the homeless ...the debutantes,.. see? that's what the self taught miss ....an education baby!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Level 10 user

Remember that "teacher" is also just a job title. Your "navel gazers", G, must have been clock-punchers (a sad lot in any profession). Those types are passive enough - mostly lacking the energy it might take to be an inhibitor.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Remember that "teacher" is also just a job title. Your "navel gazers", G, must have been clock-punchers (a sad lot in any profession). Those types are passive enough - mostly lacking the energy it might take to be an inhibitor.
I imagine the instructor, who was also the head of the department, felt like she was herding cats. I think she did her best to discourage any behavior that slopped over the edge of the mould.

Last edited by grommet : 04-20-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Level 4 user

I'm with Craig...one doesn't pay 20k/semester for "intellectual exposures". I find that at the local artists guild and other community events.

There is a lot of "hit or miss" in regard to instructors, and I learned that lesson in public school. I homeschooled for eleven years, because I did not want to roll the dice with my kids education.

In my experience, I am still paying for a student loan, and I didn't get much besides the piece of paper that proves I endured the whole four years.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by merelees View Post
I'm with Craig...one doesn't pay 20k/semester for "intellectual exposures". I find that at the local artists guild and other community events.
Depends on how you are defining that exposure and how motivated you are as a student. Some might argue that the structure of study that college offers is worth the cost especially since many folks lack the discipline to do the leg work to find regional mentors AND hit the library, museums and personal studio enough to give context to their craft. Not to mention drawing connections to other disciplines. There is value to having it all in one place and with a supportive network already in place to facilitate individual needs. That said, if hanging with the locals down at the guild works for you - fantastic! I don't knock either option.

Quote:
There is a lot of "hit or miss" in regard to instructors, and I learned that lesson in public school. I homeschooled for eleven years, because I did not want to roll the dice with my kids education.
Every person encountered is going going to be hit or miss (like E pointed out above). Homeschooling should include that lesson - helps them to be critical of their education early on. I should know - I was home educated too. (And Kudos for caring enough about you kids education to dedicate so much time to their schooling.)

Quote:
In my experience, I am still paying for a student loan, and I didn't get much besides the piece of paper that proves I endured the whole four years.
Sorry to say that it is always every student's responsibility to get the most out of their education. Perhaps you weren't ready or that college was a bad fit - but seriously, every student must own their education otherwise it is money down the drain (or not).
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
every student must own their education
Exactly Cheese. One of life's lessons is that you must be able to extract the significance out of your ventures. Lest you include yourself amongst hapless victims - NOT a proper way to approach the future. College is just another one of those ventures. . If your vitality exceeds the perceived potential of your academic scenario then you have learned a VALUABLE lesson. You have learned to GO where you need to go...thats all, and thank them on the way out for that...instead of BLAMING (cause its like blaming the wind for a lost hat). Every individual is quite in charge of themselves. Determine your course...or THEY will do it for you.