Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Is more skill real progress?

Mack, you deleted your last post, but maybe you can define what inner freedom means to you.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Level 10 user

That sounds more like inner peace to me in this context.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Level 10 user

Interesting Rika;

I would not compair art making with doing other repetitive chores, unless you`re making the same piece over and over, which in turn defies the concept of uniqueness. Other forms of expression like poetry rely on words usage to convey a message, but well structured flowery words won`t do alone. Better skills by themselves are real progress in crafts, but in art material abilities need be accompanied with effective mental or expiritual insight. Agree: good art may not necessarily need high skills. A time comes when the artist feels no need to improve skills, at that point, abilities ain`t limiting, only life time constrains to say all he`d like to...

Last edited by Nelson : 11-02-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
ISC Member

Hey Rika,

Though I haven't weighed-in on the topic so far, I'm motivated by what you wrote here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
...artists want it so badly that actually go for it. They find it through their art, while others dream of it. We're the doers, they're the dreamers.
I agree that artists 'go for it' -- but the going is actually part of the dream, isn't it?

Skill is certainly progress in that it leads to a better understanding of HOW, but I think your question is more about the WHY. For me the WHY is to learn more about myself through my perceptions (my art). The more skills I gain the more subtle definitions and interconnections become accessible to my understanding.

I look back at the pieces I made as I was starting out and I see by-and-large good pieces (that if I was to do them again I'd be able to do better - but then that perception was in place as soon as the piece was completed), but I also see the limitations in my (then) perceptions. I did less-than-good pieces too, but they have long been taken to the dump. <grin> But the best of the pieces from back then show a certain na´vetÚ that later pieces have grown out of -- the later pieces ask/answer different (deeper/more complex) questions than those earlier ones.

The 'progress' is not in the skills, it is in using the skills to express more subtle nuances of meaning. We all start with baby talk, but while we all expand our vocabularies and learn to communicate more complex ideas only a relative few become orators or poets. The vocabulary doesn't make the poet, it is rather the perceptions of the writer in being selective of the right words to communicate their feelings or thoughts that makes them a poet. Your skills as an artist are your vocabulary, and of course you will always have moments of doubt and question your validity or credibility -- without that doubt you would not be human. But -- to return to your quote above -- you need to keep 'going for it' in spite of the doubts. But just remember the IT must needs change as your perceptions and understandings grow with experience.

Don
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks, Don, for weighing in, that's exactly what I was looking for, the personal aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondougan View Post
But just remember the IT must needs change as your perceptions and understandings grow with experience.
The journey is full of surprises, undoubtedly. Funny you bringing up poetry, I just wrote some, not too bad actually, but I was baffled by it, was even thinking what was wrong with me. But hey, whatever comes our way, we have to take it for our betterment.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Level 3 user

You add skill into your work. It's a tool, of Meany. My question is. Am l communicating.
Dose the element of time enter in to play? like how long the spectator take admiring you work and progress. Then try more and more skill that will comes late on in life.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 AM
Level 9 user

If you feel like you're standing still then maybe you are. Like doing 10 years of sculpture by doing the same 1 year over and over.
Sometimes the huge challenges you can get thrown your way can give you leaps in your skill or understanding. Take the challenges, do what u think might be really hard to do. Get other people critiquing that work.
I got some paid work over the past few years that pushed me so hard I don't recognize myself now. Stuff that I found technically horrifying and used to require maths I can now do without even measuring. That's skill I guess. But also surmounting that technical challenge means I can do that work now in a far more flow like way. Without stopping to sit down and measure or do maths I can just make the head I want, or whatever. And studying that anatomy so hard means it all comes easily now, and it looks loads better.

But yeah doing the same head over and over will not get you any progress. But that's not depressing, it's liberating, once you know it. Then get on and do something hard.