Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2004, 06:10 AM

Isce ?

I received this morning a folder from an organisation called ISCE (International Sculpture Center Europe) based somewhere in Germany. They present themselves as a subsidiary of "our" ISC, mentionned Sculpture magazine and sculpture.org. Who are they?

Their site (www.isc-e.org) will be accessible only by the end of this month.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:38 AM

Re: Isce ?

The answer is "yes"! The newly created Isce based in Berlin is an official affiliate of ISC. ISC is extending! Becoming member of Isce makes you automatically member of ISC. Good news, so I can stay active on this forum and have a more "local" information there...
Old 08-23-2004, 07:23 AM

Interesting that there is no mention of the ISC-E in the magazine! This is really the first I've heard about it.

Have I just been living under a rock? Does anyone else have additional information about this?

The advent of the ISC-E could mean annual conferences abroad which is positive but it might serve to limit the capacity for diversity in the conferences in the US and elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Sculptor

Re: Isce ?; News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseq
Interesting that there is no mention of the ISC-E in the magazine! This is really the first I've heard about it.

Have I just been living under a rock? Does anyone else have additional information about this?

The advent of the ISC-E could mean annual conferences abroad which is positive but it might serve to limit the capacity for diversity in the conferences in the US and elsewhere.
Obseq - There was a bit about ISCE a couple of months ago, on this site, but Iíll admit it has been obscure. On the diversity issue, Iím not sure how many people outside of the US and Canada (the original ďInternationalĒ part of ISC) have or would attend US conferences. Cross-ocean travel still is pretty expensive.

On a more troubling note, Iím hesitant to spread what might be a rumor, but I heard recently that ISCís new executive director, announced several months back, may not be coming aboard after all. The organization still is having major problems. Maybe sculptors are a basically unorganizable group!

Last edited by fritchie : 08-23-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:36 AM

"On a more troubling note, Iím hesitant to spread what might be a rumor, but I heard recently that ISCís new executive director, announced several months back, may not be coming aboard after all. The organization still is having major problems. Maybe sculptors are a basically unorganizable group!"

Wow--I assume you are referring to Maria Pallante-Hyun?

Looking back at my old issues, I believe she was formally introduced in the May issue. I wonder what *might* have transpired over the last several months for something like this to happen?

***Just recieved my September issue in the mail yesterday.On page 4, Robert Duncan explains that Maria Pallante-Hyun, resigned as President and Director of the ISC and returned to her previous position at the Guggenheim***

Last edited by obseq : 08-24-2004 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Update in the September issue
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne (bxl)
The answer is "yes"! The newly created Isce based in Berlin is an official affiliate of ISC. ISC is extending! Becoming member of Isce makes you automatically member of ISC. Good news, so I can stay active on this forum and have a more "local" information there...
Does anyone know whether being a member of ISC automatically means you are a member of ISCE?
JAZ
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM

A few days ago I received a very kind e-mail from Mary Catherine Johnson, staff member of ISC concerning ISCE :

..."We are still working out the logistics for ISC Europe. ISCE is an official
affiliate of ISC, and we had a kick-off celebration in June, but we still
need to determine how the payments will work. By becoming (and paying) to
be a member of ISC Europe, you will automatically become a member of ISC and will get Sculpture Magazine. You will only need to pay one payment to be a member of both ISC and ISCE"....
..."We all want to have a conference in Europe in the near future. It is our
hope that our new affiliation with ISCE will bring us even closer to this
dream!"...

So, now, you all know as much as I do....
Old 09-13-2004, 10:17 AM
ISC Member

Talking Re: Isce ?

It also for me living near the German border in the Netherland, hearing from ISC-E. Funny. Than we can start also ISC-N? Would be nice. Sitting altogether on a enormous art-table with the banner of your country in your hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tafel twee twee klein.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1116  
Old 09-13-2004, 02:34 PM

Hi Adri,
Here is what I read in the september issue of Sculpture magazine, on page 80, "The ISC-E seeks to engage sculptors and others who are passionate about sculpture within the European community as members."
ISC and ISCE intend to work without banners, just for the benefit of sculpture. Just like we do on this forum. The choice of Berlin as for the ISCE office place sounds great to me, Berlin is one of the most exciting place for art in Europe for now, as Barcelone or London are.
So, I feel sorry for you Adri, but I bet in the (far?) future ISC would extend to ISC-Afrika or to ISC-SouthAmerica or whatever rather than to ISC-N.
There are so many other opportunities to meet the artistic scene nearby our own place! Let's open our mind to the world.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Sculptor

Re: Isce ? ISC

de Fluiter - Nice table! And please add your good wishes for ISCE. Even ISC in the US has had great trouble creatinga presence. Eventually, with a lot of work and innovation by sculptors worldwide, we will have a community yet!