Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Level 10 user

Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

Interesting. Nice photo of the life-size sculpture in the full news article found here.

Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 (EST)
A nude statue of Britney Spears giving birth to her son Sean Preston, by artist Daniel Edwards, has been dedicated to Pro-Life by Capla Kesting Fine Art in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg gallery district, New York.

BROOKLYN (March 22, 2006) --- A nude Britney Spears on a bearskin rug while giving birth to her firstborn marks a ‘first’ for Pro-Life. Pop-star Britney Spears is the “ideal” model for Pro-Life and the subject of a dedication at Capla Kesting Fine Art in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg gallery district, in what is proclaimed the first Pro-Life monument to birth, in April. .....

“Monument to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston,” believed Pro-Life’s first monument to the ‘act of giving birth,’ is purportedly an idealized depiction of Britney in delivery. Natural aspects of Spears’ pregnancy, like lactiferous breasts and protruding naval, compliment a posterior view that depicts widened hips for birthing and reveals the crowning of baby Sean’s head.

The monument also acknowledges the pop-diva’s pin-up past by showing Spears seductively posed on all fours atop a bearskin rug with back arched, pelvis thrust upward, as she clutches the bear’s ears with ‘water-retentive’ hands.

“Britney provides inspiration for those struggling with the ‘right choice’,” said artist Daniel Edwards, recipient of a 2005 Bartlebooth award from London’s The Art Newspaper. “She was number one with Google last year, with good reason --- people are inspired by the beauty of a pregnant woman,” said Edwards.

Capla Kesting denies the statue was developed from a rumored bootleg Britney Spears birth video. The artist admits to using references that include the wax figure of a pole-dancing Britney at Las Vegas’ Madame Tussauds and ‘Britney wigs’ characterizing various hairstyles of the pop-princess from a Los Angeles hairstylist. And according to gallery co-director, David Kesting, the artist studied a bearskin rug from Canada “to convey the commemoration of the traditional bearskin rug baby picture.” ......
Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

What a load of cr--. Like that moment in time, with that particular person has anything to do with the reality of pregnancy, birth or child-rearing. If anything, it emphasizes the delusional state of the pro-life contingent.

Beyond that, it's a gutsy sculpt.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:07 PM

The only word to explain that is bizarre. Simply bizarre. Generally speaking, I'm a big fan of the bizarre - but I wouldn't want that in my home.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Level 8 user

I don't think it looks like her. weird stuff not something I would find inspiring just weird, its pretty funny actually.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Level 10 user

I like the idea. I don't particularly care for the attachment of celebrity. While attending the birth of my daughter, Gabrielle, I was quite literally in awe of the amount of effort exerted, and pain endured by her mother.

When Gabrielle was 2-3 I bought a book "Heart of the Goddess" images of the sacred feminine from all around the world stretching back to the Woman of Willendorf. Several sculptures had the crowning of the infant's head as the composition.

One day I will carve the moment of birth. It is one of the most powerful and significant events in the life cycle. To date my figurative work has been about quiet contemplation, the splendor of action, tenderness of parent and child. I am attracted to renderings of conception, gestation, birth, growth, maturity, decrepitude, and death.

Graham

Last edited by G. Murdoch : 03-26-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:55 AM
ISC Member

Totally opportunistic if you ask me...

Artist, model, gallery, and cause...

Such is much in the art world today.

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 03-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Level 7 user

I agree with everyone so far and couldn't put it better myself. This might have apealed to me more if the artist hadn't said it was Brit??? But it is very odd, no matter what.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 AM
ISC Professional Member

I think it is very bizarre and although I appreciate the beauty of childbirth I think that there are many ways of portraying a mother and child that are much more beautiful but much less shocking, which is more the point of this piece. Allot of what art is about today is marketing and using a celebrity and a cause is a standard approach, I don’t think that this is about pro-life nor is it about the beauty of childbirth it is about sales and creating a new worthy event rather than creating art.
I think that Murdoch's comment is interesting, she doesn't look like she is in pain at all, she seems rather nonchalant about it, as if she is more involved with the bear rug than her baby.
I wouldn’t want to have it in my home, but there is no accounting for taste.
Blake
Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Level 3 user

There is no way in the world the Pro-Life movement has sanctioned this.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Level 1 user

Exclamation Re: Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

Here's sa'more [explicit] images of that preggy girly statue, ya'll ...[That I love, so much ]
http://www.my.opera.com/syndicate.01...65081/e01..png
http://www.my.opera.com/syndicate.01...65081/e02..png

Last edited by RuBert : 06-09-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Level 7 user

Ya!!! i wouldnt want it in my house but i do like the art work..
doesnt matter if its britt or another women.. when i look at the work i dont see britt, i see a great monent in life..although my wife would never pose for a shot like that..
Old 06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Level 1 user

Post Re: Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

THOUGHT YOU ALL WOULD BE INTERESTED ....
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Level 2 user

Something fake about it—there is no beauty (more interest in the details of the hairdo than any substance), no emotional content or expression as others have said…quite stiff, with poor anatomy: take a look at the misplaced right shoulder in the posted photo, for instance.

The sculpture definitely shows the female in an animalistic way that tends toward misogyny. Only our four-legged friends give birth that way. It also fails to show birth as something beautiful, sexualizing it, as if that were the only way it could be made acceptable.

Ditto to what others have said about Britney as poster child for pro-life. She is a married, multi-millionaire who chose to get pregnant, not a teen welfare mother who seriously considered abortion, struggled with a weighty decision and chose to have the child. What’s the connection?

Candice
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Level 1 user

Post Re: Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

- Everyone lets keep it civil and not personal here. -

Last edited by RuBert : 06-09-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Level 1 user

Post HEY, BOYS & GIRLS!......

I DUN WHEN UN FORGOT JUAN..... HEERE U GOW .......

http://my.opera.com/syndicate.01/hom...65081/e09..png

Last edited by RuBert : 06-09-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Level 8 user

Re: HEY, BOYS & GIRLS!......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuemHM6EWE

Severed Heads of Daniel Edwards
Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Level 10 user

Here I'll comment only on the artistic aspects of this deliberately controversial sculpture by Edwards.

Artistically, I like the grey color in the earlier publicity photos. There is something uncomfortable with the final color which is near skin color. Those of us who make figurative sculptures may know that skin color is a wrong choice when it is applied to the whole sculpture, as it includes the hair, the eyes, the lips, etc.

On another matter that looks wrong. At the front, the pregnant mother looks calm and relaxed, as shown by her face and the hands. But at the back, she is seen to be at the point of pushing the baby out, which means she would be exerting herself and in great pain.

But other than these, it can be seen that the artist has done his homework making many parts of the body realistic.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
scupture.net

I don't really care to host these images.

I'll leave the link for now, but we don't need them posted in our face to discuss the sculpture or the artist intent.

Please keep discussions on topic and without personal attacks.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Level 1 user

Exclamation Re: Nude Britney Spears Giving Birth Statue - Monument to Pro-Life

Look like good old RUBARK, don't loike to exercise the right of free sppech, even for arts sake......
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Level 6 user

this is some good shtuff
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Level 10 user

I suppose, just me mind you, that this things is not Art at all...its a mere cultural antagonizer and Art needs to be way better than just that. Popular culture, human rights and even sexuality are not worthy subjects...they are good beginnings, maybe, but not good endings. Sorry. There are far bigger things to be gained by aesthetic exploration. When we've owned up to that it will be time for the real rewards.
Closed Thread