Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467
Newspaper article on Brad and I

Nice article on Brad and I and the other two finalists for the Toledo Ohio Fire Fighters Memorial. The article made it to the front page of today's Toledo 'The Blade' newspaper. Pretty cool

Hopefully one of these links will work http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...110345/-1/NEWS - Jun

or http://www.ToledoBlade.com
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Newspaper article on Brad and I

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have clearly the most visually compelling and interesting of the three designs. The first is quite boring and I don't know how it made it so far, unless reputation trumps product. The third one looks more like a war memorial than a firefighters memorial, sort of Star Trek meets Iwo Jima. It does work, but it also verges on caricature rather than reality. Your entry has a lot more going on to hold interest, while still maintaining the monumental feel. It is not only a fitting tribute, but it is beautifully composed and exciting to look at. It is not the sort like the other two that you could get tired of looking at over time. I hope you get the commission, as it will be a great addition to Toledo and to the world of sculpture.

GlennT
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

Thanks, Glenn! Brad and I are both really excited about this project. Brad did such an elegant job designing the site plan--he is truly gifted. Also, I have a fire chief, a fire battallion chief and two paramedics in my family, so I am particularly inspired by this project and would love to sculpt it.

We tried to give the fire fighting community everything they asked for and in a very relatable way. Although I like all of the designs, the fire fighters have said they really do want actual bronzes of fire fighters in this memorial. It's also interesting what you said, Glenn, about the other fire fighter bronze design looking like a war memorial. That sculptor has already used those very same fire fighting bronzes in a memorial in Arizona, so it definitely wouldn't be as original as what we propose.

We shall do our best for the presentation and hope for the best Thanks again for your encouragement!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Level 4 user

The design you and Brad have developed is the one I am partial to. The fact that your near and dear are involved in the world you endeavor to give us a glimpse of is, I think, a crucial point in your favor. I wish you both all the best. If you garner this opportunity, it would be fun to give us a peek at the unfolding process!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Level 3 user

No question in my mind that your proposal is the finest! One thing that makes me wonder is how you all will be able to profit much with the expensive materials and construction that is indicated. I don't know. Nevertheless, I hope you do, and congratulations on an excellent & inspirational design.