Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Level 8 user

Sculptors Guild

Is anyone here a member of the (New York) Sculptors Guild ?

I just ran across a mission statement printed in a 1955 exhibition catalog,
and found some interesting changes over the years.

In 1938, the purpose of the organization was stated as:

"To unite sculptors of all progressive aesthetic tendencies into a vital organization in order to re-establish the artistic integrity of sculpture and give it its rightful place in the cultural life of this country"

This sentance was slightly (but importantly) modifed within the 1955 statement as follows:

While today, the official website states:

"THE SCULPTORS GUILD, a nonprofit organization of professional artists, was founded in 1937 to provide free exhibitions of contemporary sculpture"

( http://www.sculptorsguild.org/about.asp )

... and I show earlier pieces from the Guild <a href="

http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...uild/guild.htm
"here </a>

So it's obvious that the Guild has kept up with the times, but I'm just wondering whatever happened to the "artistic integrity of sculpture" -- as well as all the other public activitees (education etc) other than just free outdoor exhibitions ?

Does anyone know when the purpose got changed ?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Level 4 user

Re: Sculptors Guild

1938 seems to have a greater nobility. Pity that sort of language and drive is so diminished or reworked in this day and age.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Level 10 user

Is my language failing me. What exactly is the meaning of 'the artistic integrity of sculpture'?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Is my language failing me. What exactly is the meaning of 'the artistic integrity of sculpture'?

We all want the practitioners of certain, various arts to practice with integrity.

For example, we want the doctor to do what's best for the patient, not for his hospital or bank account. We don't want him cutting corners -- we don't want him compromising standards -- we don't want him taking jobs he can't do -- we don't want him pretending to know things that he doesn't.

Is sculpture that kind of art ? A kind that serves an important purpose -- and has an important effect on those whom it serves ?These idealistic sculptors back in the thirties thought so -- and that's why they called themselves a guild -- and asserted loyalty to their profession, not just to their own careers.

Today, the name remains -- but the idealism -- and I would say the special expressive quality that it summoned -- is just a memory.