Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Level 10 user

NY Times article on me

A lot shorter than planned and the slideshow planned didn't make it, but it's pretty cool;

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/ny...ml?ref=thecity
Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467
Re: NY Times article on me

Congratulations, very cool article. Did you write it and submit it to the paper? Or did someone interview you? In either case, it was done very well. I especially like the ending, about your never returning to New York. It makes the ending sound so intriguing.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berinje'
Congratulations, very cool article. Did you write it and submit it to the paper? Or did someone interview you? In either case, it was done very well. I especially like the ending, about your never returning to New York. It makes the ending sound so intriguing.
Thanks, I did not write the copy, the reporter did. He and I interviewed via phone over 9 hours spread out over maybe a month. He had a much longer in depth story written but the editors wanted to cut it way down because they were hesitant to devote that much space to a single issue.
He also had photos of the goat head I recently bought and that was also going to cap the longer story bringing it into the present (from 1970)

The narrated slideshow also didn't make it because the guy who was working on it was away last week and it wasn't finished, but I believe the photos are in the print version- I'm to get a copy, so I'll see.
The reporter is seriously talking now about writing a BOOK, so we'll see!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Level 10 user

Great press! Sure to serve you properly. The article reminded me of when I worked security at The Palladium downtown between 13th and 14th st. One of the larger club/concert venues in the city. As I made my rounds with my flashlight I discovered underground channels that contained much dismembered architectural history (I guess it was being stored for some purpose that never arrived). I even found my way into the boarded-up and collapsed restaurant next door that obviously had not hosted clientele for many many years. The place was still very intact...furniture, mirrors chandeliers, there were liquor bottle behind the bar (empty), and the wood carving was amazing everywhere. It had not been ransacked because the only way in was through that tunnel in the basement. There was a pile of cast iron parking meters by what had been the front door, about two hundred pounds each. I managed to drag one of those by subway back to my studio as a souvenir. (It eventually was de-prioritized and dumpstered). I would visit the place from time to time (drink a pocketed beer at one of the dusty,fancy tables) until that crappy job ended. Thereafter I kept an eye on that location from the outside and saw that it was properly demolished a few years later. Now The Palladium and the whole block belongs to NYU, all leveled, all dormitories now. So it goes.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:56 PM
ISC Professional Member

Great article Landseer well done. Good picture too.
And now I can say that I knew you when....

Regards Blake
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Level 8 user

thats a really cool shot
Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 AM
ISC Member

Hi Landseer, Nice article and like you said, it could have been longer. It's always good to get press, especially in the Times (all the news that's fit to print).
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys, you know, I managed to get the free trial electronic print version on their web site and the printed version of the article has 3 photos and takes up 1/3 of the entire page.

It's good press no matter what.

With the free trial one has access to their archives too, every article from 1851 forward. I did a few keyword searches and found scads of stuff I'll want to grab copies of!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Level 5 user

Wow Landseer, that's a wonderful tribute to you and to the increasingly disappearing beauty of those aged buildings, great article. I have family in NYC and every time I go there I'm always looking up noticing the details everywhere. It's interesting to see beautifully adorned facade next to a newer plain one. They just don't make 'em like they used to. You must really know the history, the story behind these architectural artifacts. I guess you've really saved a part of history and are bringing back a lost art, good for you!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Level 10 user

Lanseer, take a good look at this article. You may find many parts of interest to you. It is about architectural salvage, in line with what you are doing. Some companies in this business are listed.

Recovered architectural pieces get new purpose

Architectural salvage -- it's so much more hot and romantic than it sounds.

Though "salvage" calls to mind images of rusted deep-sea relics or junkyards guarded by mean-looking mutts, architectural salvage encompasses beautiful old elements: ornately carved marble or wood fireplace mantels, fountains, statuary, vintage tiles, stained glass, Victorian gingerbread, roof finials, lighting, hardware, gargoyles, wrought-iron balconies or fences -- sometimes entire wood-paneled rooms.

"People are looking for the kind of good craftsmanship and solid materials that are commonly found in older buildings, and also, for ways to give some personality to their own homes, even if those homes are not particularly old," says Dwight Young, senior communications associate for the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Sara Weiss of Olde Good Things in Manhattan says salvage has become especially popular in the past few years. Builders also "really love to incorporate the old architectural elements into new construction to give it more character," she says. "They don't make things like they used to."

And yet, America didn't always appreciate its treasures. Forty years ago, when the old Penn Station, a neoclassical wonder designed by McKim, Mead & White, was demolished, haulers dumped priceless architectural treasures in the Meadowlands. Some were retrieved, but many were lost.....

Many rescued elements are not cheap -- there is, after all, a finite supply -- but then, neither are new materials. And while interest in architectural salvage predates the green movement, Young says, it is "very much in line with green principles."....
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Level 10 user

Good find Merlion, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Level 10 user

Great piece. The writer did a good job of encapsulating the idea of your passion for the work and it really makes for a compelling story. I am a great fan of endeavors that are slightly Quixotic. Had read your bio before, but enjoyed it just as much or more this time. Ever thought of a memoir of that time? I bet it would be good reading.

Michelangelo Buonarroti
Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGillespie
Ever thought of a memoir of that time? I bet it would be good reading.
Thanks Jason, yeah he did a good job, he is not done yet though and is working on another project with this.
I did write a daily diary back then and a manuscript, some of the daily stuff is on my message board typed out from handwritten pages as I find time, which is less right now with the spring/summer season and also a bunch of recent orders to finish along with several molds to finish as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Level 10 user

Looks like another newspaper wants to do a feature story on me, this one is the Fort Dodge (iowa) Messenger, so here we go
Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Level 10 user

Good show Landseer. You are getting famous.