Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Level 10 user

Foot in the door

My works in a public gallery showing. A first, so it's a big thing.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Foot in the door

Congratulations Rika. Looks great. I especially like that you've included the figures and the abstractions together. Its something I hope to eventually do in a single exhibition. And all those are fully "realized" pieces too. No doubt bigger and better things lie ahead for you...if you've got the NERVE
Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Level 10 user

Good for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Level 10 user

Congratulations
The grouping really does work well together. It looks very appealing.
Hopefully the detour signs I put up routing everyone through the gallery pay off for you.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Level 10 user

alright rika congrates where abouts is it i will have to come see them in person they look great!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks, guys. The curator picked these, but they're my favourites. The boots were a hit as an anachronism. Wish red boots was there too, but she's waiting for the right base.
Quote:
No doubt bigger and better things lie ahead for you...if you've got the NERVE
Bigger, yup, bigger is better. The shadows on Morta looked very good.

Quote:
Hopefully the detour signs I put up routing everyone through the gallery pay off for you
It would, if the gallery would be on a dead end street.

Chris, it's at the Whitby Station Gallery. I'll send you directions. And if you come, you can see more stuff at my house.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Level 10 user

They all look good together, congrats!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Level 10 user

thanks, Steven!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Level 10 user

good for you Rika!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Level 10 user

Nice to have them all together in one case.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Level 10 user

Congrats. On your next display, I would recommend having any explanitory text outside of the display case if possible, or at least removed enough from the works that the eye is not distracted from an unencumbered soaking in of them.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Congrats. On your next display, I would recommend having any explanitory text outside of the display case if possible, or at least removed enough from the works that the eye is not distracted from an unencumbered soaking in of them.
I agree. Keep the words at the desk. No need for all that signage near the Art. Unfortunately, eyes gravitate too easily to text (they are searching for answers). Make them get the answers - or more questions - from the Art.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
On your next display, I would recommend having any explanitory text outside of the display case if possible
Good point, Glenn, though when I was standing in front of the case the text didn't really jump at me.

Quote:
Unfortunately, eyes gravitate too easily to text (they are searching for answers). Make them get the answers - or more questions - from the Art.
The text is a short summary of the myths two of the works were based upon, worded in a way not to detract --or spoon feed (lesson learned )-- from the work. I think it's because of the background info that the boots as an anachronism became a hit.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I think it's because of the background info that the boots as an anachronism became a hit.
I agree, it becomes a shared joke, and you make immediate friends/accomplices.
If your goal is simply to show your work, leave explanations elsewhere. If your goal is to engage and admit a new audience, give something to grasp onto to bridge the gap between obvious and clever.
just an obvious thought.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

The issue I raised had nothing to do with including explanatory text. It is entirely about placing any text out of the line of sight so that one can fully enjoy the visual experience unencumbered.

So many on this site have railed about looking at works with an "open mind". That is what I'm encouraging here. The text is an effort to direct the mind to a specific narrative. Fine, but leave it away from the work so that those who want or need it can easily take two steps and read all about it, but still the intial viewing impression is about the art, including the aura of mystery about it.

I actually don't know what the narrative regarding the boots is. It may have been posted, but I probably skipped readiong about it. I just liked the forms, the gesture, and the expression. I did not want to know about boots.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn, I acknowledged your point, and I'll keep it mind for the future.
My answer was directed at Evald's comment who is against putting too much emphasis on narrative in general, and I agree with him in theory, but as usual, things look differently on paper than in practice. Grommet nailed it for me: show or engage, there's a choice to make. I like to go with "engage" at this time...and not necessarily for selfish reasons. Those who are just happy watching, can block out the words like you did.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The issue I raised had nothing to do with including explanatory text. It is entirely about placing any text out of the line of sight so that one can fully enjoy the visual experience unencumbered.

I actually don't know what the narrative regarding the boots is. It may have been posted, but I probably skipped readiong about it. I just liked the forms, the gesture, and the expression. I did not want to know about boots.
Glenn, I think your stance was clear.
This means that I also wasn't talking to you. It could be an inherent "guy thing" to think that any comment is a personal affront. Not saying it is, just considering it as a guide to future phrasing. Female primate's role as peacekeeper...
Yeah, so look up "Morta" and "anachronism", and you won't need anything else.
peace, brother
Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Level 10 user

Tsk, tsk, Grommet. You must leave your observations about the differences between males and females back there in the plain ol' natural world where it matters. Here, in the lofty open-ness of aesthetics and physio-intellectual attainment we are all just atomless protagonists; quite genderless and all EQUALLY omnipotent. It is limiting to define oneself by an incidental biological occurence that only affects ones role in matters of survival and procreation.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Tsk, tsk, Grommet. You must leave your observations about the differences between males and females back there in the plain ol' natural world where it matters. Here, in the lofty open-ness of aesthetics and physio-intellectual attainment we are all just atomless protagonists; quite genderless and all EQUALLY omnipotent. It is limiting to define oneself by an incidental biological occurence that only affects ones role in matters of survival and procreation.
since this is a beatified forum of openness and acceptance, where details of gender don't matter, I am showing my cards, that include adjustments for instinctive behavior of the clan. The dominant male beats his chest and some may cower, and others will acknowledge this is his way of maintaining dominance in case a rival approaches, that he will defend the clan, his clan. The clan will occasionally do what it has to do to keep the dominator in line, lest he get insufferable.
While gender or sex don't really matter, that doesn't mean we are androgynous.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Level 10 user

All this gender talk is making me hungry. Grommet, make youself useful and cook something, will you?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Level 10 user

now you're just being silly. at least that's better than the crabby guy that was here before.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
All this gender talk is making me hungry. Grommet, make youself useful and cook something, will you?
HA! (Now I remember why we keep Glenn around).
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
also, like an art object, I am not useful. Unlike most objects, i am mobile, and articulated, as are you. So...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Level 10 user

Rika,

truly like your sculpture exhibition. Most have been said already. I agree with trying to have those cards out of sight: they`re an eye sore near your beautiful work, on the other hand I also understand the reason they were placed there. Glad for you. Congratulations.