Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Level 10 user

Best photo site?

I am interested in suggestions as to which web photo site would be a good place to put photos of new work, to which I could refer people who want to look via net. I have no interest in programming another website. Not only is it superfluous, it's a huge pain in the ass and waste of time to teach myself how to use the latest program and go through all the repetitive detail processing. I'm thinking of something like Flickr, but since I've never used one, for all I know Flickr totally blows. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Best photo site?

All the free ones are free because they are selling ads.
So they are cluttered, and designed for their convenience, not yours.
I use Flickr for some stuff, and it is OK.
Its easy to upload, and easy to refer people to, but its not really set up so you can arrange it in a very esthetically pleasing way.
It looks like Flickr.

Photobucket is great for hosting photos you want to post on forums, but its even crummier looking than Flickr, in my opinion.

You want slick, you gotta bite the bullet and do your own website.
No way around paying to play.
You want free, you accept the weird features you cant change.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Level 10 user

That sounds reasonable. How about a site similar to Flickr that is better, but you have to pay a fee for no ads and a better presentation... anything like that? I would gladly pay money to avoid buying overpriced Adobe products that go out of date every few months and spending all that time learning how to work them and designing a website of my own.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

There are a lot of the photo sites out there. I use both the free flickr and photobucket.
As was said the bucket one is great for hosting forum stuff and the new slide show isn't bad. I don't know what turns up on it when somebody views your slide show. As I have a number of pop up blockers and no script programs running on mine. The free flickr has a limit on the number of albums or group displays. They also have a slide show type of display.
Photo bucket has some new backgrounds to choose from but still are some what lame.

The only thing with all these sites is the fine fine print on the use and ownership of the hosted photos. (copyright ownership) So if its anything that you absolutely want to keep for yourself don't post it.

I really don't know what the ownership of the photos are on either. But as they can change agreements at will with out notice. Safe is always better than sorry later.

I tried getting through comcasts photo hosting BS agreement and it gave me a headache. What I have been told is if you post it on a free hosting site, you pretty much have given up all single use rights to it.

So be fore warned, Doesn't your software have album add on. Or can't you just get a stand alone album for adding to the server that hosts your web sight.

I'm not a computer software person, will ask my son as I believe his site has photo albums.

Here is a site of a model builder,who MIG welds all the models from sheet steel. If you go to photos he uses the paid for Flickr for photo's and video. http://www.doncampbellmodels.com/
Have you thought of using a blog type as he does to upload pictures and descriptions. But not just on a daily basis.
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Level 10 user

If you are willing to pay a fee to put your photos on a mass hosting site you might as well just pay to use a pre-made template for your own website. I mean, having an on-line portfolio these days is essentially the same as a calling card. Putting your images on Flickr or other such site feels a bit unprofessional - a bit like writing your name on the back of someone else's business card and handing it out as your own.

I use this this company:

www.icompendium.com

Every template has some issues, but this one is clean, easy to load my images onto, and the technical service has been fantastic. I think I pay like $200 a year - pretty cheap overhead for being able to easily direct interested parties to my images, not having to spend time building the site structure, and never having to fix things that don't work (especially since I know very little about how websites are made anyway).

EDIT: Re-reading this post I fear my opinion might seem like an ad for this guy's company. There are lots of similar companies out there - some of which may be worlds better. I just happen to have seen this one - signed on - and have been happy with my service.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Level 10 user

I hadn't thought about losing ownership rights. They are only jpegs of sculptures, where the sculpture is the thing, not the image, but it still doesn't sound comforting.

I'll look into a website template idea. I just don't want to design and program my own anymore.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Level 10 user

Looking around, I am also finding sites that sell templates for a one-time fee from $50 to a couple hundred. You have to have Adobe suite to customize and update them. This seems appealing, because I could keep my same server/address, which only costs $50/yr, I think.

The only problem I see so far is that almost all of them have pointless flash animation, with squares and words and such flipping around and zooming all over the screen. I never understood why that became so popular. Unless the product one is selling/displaying is web design, I don't see how that is going to impress anyone. Is it for visitors with ADHD, who might forget that they are looking a website?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Level 9 user

you might try www.photoshop.com - I haven't but if it is free it looks very good.

let us know if you do
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Level 7 user

I ' ll be facing the very same problem in near future- and my first idea was for an on-line gallery , too ( still can't see the reason for a web site-not yet).How about Picasa?
Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Level 10 user

It seems like buying a template for a one time fee, then cheap hosting makes the most sense for me. I have to buy photoshop again anyway, and at student prices, upgrading to the CS4 suite will only cost a couple hundred more. Thus for about $250 one time, I'll have what I need to DIY for a few years, hopefully with minimal programming - mostly just filling in the blanks.

If I get tired of the template, I can buy a new one for $50 or so. Some of them seem conducive to showing updates about new pieces and shows and stuff, organized a little like a news website, which might help to get people to re-visit. The one I have now has been stagnant for about 2 years.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Level 10 user

https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.htmlI've got a handy photoshop express account for easy storage and edits. Check them out.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Level 9 user

If anyone is up to doing a little bit more for a web gallery - here is a link to 30 slideshow and lightbox scripts for the web.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007...ws-lightboxes/

I have used several of them and they are usually straight forward to deploy unless you start changing the look and feel. which I did for my gallery

http://www.daniellingham.co.uk