Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Level 3 user

Cutting/grinding in glass panes

I need to cut slits in panes of glass, something in the area of 1.5x6 centimeters, and since they will be hidden and therefore don't have to be particularly neat I don't feel like paying the glazier what I expect would be a bit more than replacing the panes (including a mishap or two) that I already have at hand.

I've tried on a couple of scrap bits and I think I've gotten a bit of a grip on it, but I'd thought I'd run my checklist to see if I've overlooked something anyway. What I have is:

-Dremel
-Various diamond discs, burrs and drums
-Board to sandwich the panes between to minimize vibration
-Goggles and mask
-Shop vac set up as first line of dust defense

Anything else that's usually found in a workshop that might be useful in the process?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Cutting/grinding in glass panes

Quote:
Originally Posted by interferens View Post

Anything else that's usually found in a workshop that might be useful in the process?
This would seem obvious, but to avoid eating glass particles, keep the pizza and beer far enough away from the work space. Evaldart has solved this creatively with his intravenous beer attachment on wheels, and possibly dessertrock has rigged his mask with the fresh air supply hose to cycle bites of pizza along with the oxygen.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Level 3 user

I don't usually eat there, but I guess I should contact NASA and see if they have a sippy cup or straw with an adequately advanced filter for my coffee.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Level 3 user

Interferens..................Use diamond cutting disks like the kind made by Dremel. But most important....use water running over your glass while you cut. It will increase the cutting ability of your diamond cutting disks, keep the glass cool and keep the dust down. Yes, you and what you are cutting will get wet......but it's worth it.