Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Level 1 user

tricky sculpture hanging

It's for an installation piece that is like a hanging basket formed out of sticks and branches of trees, the two sticks that it will hang by will be mounted to the ceiling will be about 1 inch wide. it is to look like it is hanging down from nowhere - as if the ceiling weren't there so it will look like it keeps on going. Any ideas of how to get a flush mount look with out having to make a hole in the ceiling? We went to the hardware store, and were a bit puzzled what to do.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Level 10 user

Re: tricky sculpture hanging

what kind of celling and a pic or drawing would help.
weight too.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Level 10 user

I dont understand- if you want to hang something from the ceiling, you HAVE to make a hole in the ceiling.

Unless you have a source for anti-gravity.

to minimize the hole, though, it depends on what the ceiling is made of, but there are tricks.

first thing that comes to mind is a dowel screw- this is a screw that has no head on it- instead, at the other end is another screw- so you can screw one end into your stick, and the other end into the ceiling. Some of these have machine screws on one end, and lag screws on the other, some are lag at both ends.

Or, if you ceiling is drywall, you could use a corkscrew anchor, and screw your dowel hanger into that.

Other techniques might involve drilling a hole in the end of the stick, and epoxying some sort of fastener into the hole- what type of fastener would depend on your ceiling. Obviously, concrete would require a different fastener than a suspended ceiling of insulation board.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

Ries: How can a man who collects Frapplegarp installations question the anti-gravity aspirations of another?

Dot: Are you able to access a crawl space above the ceiling surface? Is it a suspended ceiling? One possiblility is to use a veryvery tiny couple of holes through which that invisible monofilament thread, like fishing line, is used to tie a branch or whatever, pass through the celing, and wrap around whatever exists or is added to the crawl space to hold its weight.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Level 3 user

I'm trying to get a picture here... I guess you want the sticks look like they are growing out of or having sort of materialized inside the ceiling?

I think you should focus on simply making that look good, and use wires or cables for the actual support. The two circular inches don't sound like much area for mounting, even if it's a fairly light piece. I guess it would be possible embed some sort of anchor in the sticks and support that in the ceiling, but doing that and getting it to look right at the same time is tricky.

I don't think wires distract that much. Even if they are visible, most viewers filter that out. It's something that's expected when there's an object hung from the ceiling, and passed to the subconscious unless someone is particularly interested. And with the right materials and good lighting it can be very discreet. Something like a strong fishing line can work for a lighter piece, after that there's the thin metal ones with clear coating that help make them a bit less visible.

In any case: whatever method you choose, make sure you find out everything you possible can about the ceiling. I learned that the hard way last time I hung something... there was four mounting points and for each I had an anchor expander rated for three times the total weight, but that amounted to nothing when it turned out that the walls where aerated concrete...