Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Level 1 user

back to basics : wrinkles.

Hey. In class I never had to learn how to work wrinkles into a bust, and now I've got a problem. The semester is over, and I can't reach my teacher, so I need a few pointers on how to make wrinkles. I'm working on the Mad Hatter soon, and can't configure an image in my head of him that looks suitable with a smooth face.

So any suggestions, a mini-tutorial or all else is very much welcome!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

Re: back to basics : wrinkles.

You did not specify your medium, so I'll assume clay. First, as in anything else, you need to study the issue to determine what result you want. Look at either a person with wrinkles, or good photos. See how they are formed. There is a valley seperated by two ridges. So that means you can create a valley with the thin wire end of a clay modeling tool, and build up the valleys with small bits of clay rolled on a flat surface until they become like elognated wires. Press those around the valley and use fingers and then your tool to work them into the surface of the face.

One thing about wrinkles is that a little bit goes a long way. Amateur sculpture generally will over-emphasize surface defects and wrinkles so that the eye is drawn to these areas of strong contrast instead of noticing good construction of the overall form. Make sure you step back and look at the bust from a distance and see if your wrinkles are subordinate to the overall look of the face, or drawing your eye there right away.