Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Level 1 user

Looking for educational material on bonded bronze cold casting.

Where can I find educational material? I'm looking for books, articles, DVD, VHS, workshops, lessons etc regarding cold casting or bonded bronze using polyester or polyurethane resin.

Someone referred me to Synair, Polytek and Ball Casting. I found Polytek and Balls material but have not been able to locate a copy of Synair VHS on casting.

Please let me hear from you.

Thanks,

Cliff
Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Level 4 user

Re: Looking for educational material on bonded bronze cold casting.

Smooth-On in Easton Pa has a lot of info and they have a great mold-making workshop that includes cold-casting.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Level 2 user

Re: Looking for educational material on bonded bronze cold casting.

Smooth-On is fine for starters, but they will sell what they make, which is polyurethane resin. Unfortunately, polyurethane resin is not the best nor easiest to use for making cold castings. There is a book out there that is written specifically for doing cold metal casting. It is called "Art You Can Create That Makes Money". It is written by Philip Vickers and was published in 2000. It is about 50 pages of everything from the mold making to marketing cold cast metal sculpture. There is also a data sheet with really basic information called "Cold Casting With Atomized Metal Powders" available from Douglas and Sturgess in SF. I think it is on their website as well as a pdf document at www.artstuf.com. Good luck!