Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Level 6 user

Commissions and Agreements

I have been fairly lucky with my commissions not to be dicked over but my method of recording is very loose. I just have them sign a drawing, description and amount of the sculpture. I am getting many commissions and I am wondering how you do the paper work for your commissions.

For a large commission i did for a non-profit they had a huge contract with all sorts of legal mumbo jumbo and strict deadlines and conditions for me which i met but what the contract told them to do they did not. So why all the paper work? I don't even think they read it because they seemed upset about giving my the copyright to my sculpture but they drew up the contract or at least got it from the arts commission. They paid me in full and the sculpture is there standing strong.

I guess i need to meet somewhere in the middle. What do you all do?

z
Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Commissions and Agreements

Z, depends upon who you're dealing with. Private collectors are low-maintenace. Usually a few drawings with specs and a price is all you need. That has always worked for me. And that is by far the biggest part of my "business".
With the public/corporate situations there will be some signing of nonsense. I always just sign it, get a copy for my records and proceed with the work. Maybe I've been lucky, but none of that legal mumbo jumbo has bitten me in the ass yet. In general, if you deliver on time, and blow them away (not hard because they're easily amazed), happiness abounds.
BUT...if you're spider-sense goes off and you smell a rat in the beginning, you've got to trust yourself. I have cut-off many potential projects because there were personality, logistical or financial suspiciousnesses. Sometimes you need the money, but if things begin with a "wrong" feeling, they will END worse...nip those in the bud.

Last edited by evaldart : 03-10-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

I have been doing commissions for over 20 years. I can't even remember the last time I did a contract, even with public or corporate work. Quite often there is not even anything in writing. when it is needed, I usually fill in an invoice form of my own devising, which states a rough description of the work I'm doing, the price, and the payment schedule. Often I have done a sketch or on occasional a model, so the client has a rough idea of what I'm doing, which may be verbally referred to in the invoice. It is fun to exceed expectations, which is made easier by the fact that the sketch is just that, and even though i know what it is going to look like, they only have an inkling.

Peole who comission my work know the level of attention and committment that I put into my work, and my long track record of satisfied clients. So there they know they can trust me. Similarly, unless the client has given me some reason to be uncertain about them, I trust their integrity as well. Although I have been burned a few times for extending that trust where it was unwarranted, overwhelmingly it has worked out great on both sides, with less paperwork to be distracted by.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Level 6 user

Well, It is good to know i am on the right page with commissions paper-work. I do try to exceed my clients expectations and i feel like i have. I try to put in the time to do it right. I often get projects i have never done before so sometimes it is hard to estimate time which often gets me working extra long days to get it done on time, or at least in a timely manner. Many clients just tell me to take as long as i need. I am very young in my journey as a sculptor but i am learning fast and getting a regular supply of commissions.

thanks for your input

Z
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

how you’d address the paperwork, bidding, payroll, etc. shouldn’t differ from any other job. If your ART is a business ..then treat it like one

a link to my one and only “artjob” http://www.clevelandsteel.us/sculptnet
………nuttin about this could have gone any better, but it still felt like a job….
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
how you’d address the paperwork, bidding, payroll, etc. shouldn’t differ from any other job. If your ART is a business ..then treat it like one

a link to my one and only “artjob” http://www.clevelandsteel.us/sculptnet
………nuttin about this could have gone any better, but it still felt like a job….
Looks great Duck but as you said it still feels like a job after the first 20 minutes of problem pops up. Which ever comes first, I know the feel more than once
All the usual
and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only
Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Level 6 user

"treat it like any other job" that makes me laugh a little. The hardest part for me is the paperwork. Any other "job" i had people told me what to do and someone else did the paperwork or it was all under the table. Now that i am a professional and doing work for various organizations and corporations i have to do some paperwork. Maybe when i make it BIG i can get a cute lil office girl to do all the paperwork and phone calls. That would be nice...