Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Level 10 user

Saint George in Australia

I have entered a design, " Saint George Overcomes the Dragon" in the competition to place such a sculpture on the grounds of the Cathedral of Saint George in Perth, Australia. This opportunity was posted on this site, for which I am grateful. Often I have found out about such things after the fact. There are 91 entries competing to be chosen both by website viewers and by a jury. Up to 12 will be chosen to take their designs to the next step from which the winner will be selected.

My entry, which is the 83rd one listed, is found here, http://www.sculptureproject.org.au/s...fm?startrow=81

My presentation for this round is in the form of a bas-relief, which shows it in relation to the Cathedral in the background. My proposal is for a full-round bronze sculpture just over life-size. I have kept the figure of Saint George on his horse historically accurate yet restrained so as to emphasize the action of the gesture. I have created a more active pose than what I have seen in previous works where the figure was romanticized.

The sponsors of the competition were suggesting an openess to new interpretations, and I did so with the depiction of the dragon. I have him in the process of vaporization/disintegration to show how evil is like a paper-tiger, fearsome in appearance but ultimately an illusion that can be pierced and destroyed by those who are centered in God-reality.
Rendering this concept sculpturally in an artistically tasteful manner is not easy, and I hope to be given the chance to develop the concept more fully and true to the vision I have of this.

Viewers to the website are allowed one vote each for their best choice among the entries. Along with myself, there are at least two other forum members who have entered, "Giotto" and Angell Rengell. I encourage you to look over all of the entries and particiapte in being part of the public jury in selecting the work most fitting to the theme and the context of the site. Of course, I hope that the one you vote for is mine. It would be nice if each person could vote for several, as there are a number of interesting interpretations to consider.

Thanks,

Glenn

http://www.glennterryart.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saint George Overcomes the Dragon by Glenn Terry sculptor.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	9765  
Old 12-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Saint George in Australia

Thanks for the link to submissions.
I don't know, the one that looks like it's made out of chewed colored gumballs is pretty appealing, it'll be a close race....
Good luck to all.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Level 10 user

I signed up long time ago for voting, and it was wonderful to see all the entries. There's one more member not mentioned, Gil Bruvel. Good luck to all of you!

Last edited by rika : 12-20-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Level 10 user

Cool site,and I viewed it with my son before I read any post.Naturally I picked Gil Bruvel,s stainless sculpture,really nice flow and craftsmenship to fabricate large scale.I did not respond to the abstracts like Beaslys,some of the bronzes where weak,but it is a tuff choice.Your work looks good,good luck....IA
Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Level 10 user

I love the theme. I'm puttin it on my list. I'd love to have a giant junk dragon in the yard. But then Godzilla's got to get scratched-off...aaahh, life is full of changes.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Level 10 user

Went with IA on this one and voted for Gil. Hard to see many of the pieces but Gil's was my favorite of what i could see.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Level 10 user

I really liked Gil's entry also and I put it in my top 10 favorites. There is, however, a vast difference between how Glenns and Angels work was sculpted and how Gils was made. If I understand correctly (from Gils website) images are scanned into a computer, digitally manipulated and then printed out using a 3D printer. I don't know how sculpture generated this way will play out over the future but some of our local galleries have ceased accepting computer generated 2 D art.

G
Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto View Post
I don't know how sculpture generated this way will play out over the future...

G
Same way polished turds did in the 70's and 80's.. Good for Christmas cards and comic books, but that's about it.

I'm not sure I saw your entry Giotto, unless you are Alex, but his work didn't look to be quite up to snuff for your level.

GlennT, I'll be blunt: You f'd up the first rule and that is to keep it simple stupid. The whole hollywood special effects vaporizing dragon thing may have seemed like a great idea in your head or looked good in relief or as a flatty, but these things rarely if ever translate well in 3D because they eat up your volume, force you to expend energy on the irrelevent and make your horses look like they're short a nickel. Anyway, that's also a big part of why you got my vote. It was clear to me looking at all of the other entries that you wanted this one more than the rest, enough in fact to take the high road away from safety and "shoot the moon" as it were. I think when you make the finals that you should downplay the special effects to a splash instead of an explosion and make the horse a little bigger, then you've got a real shot. The artistic part is already there and you don't need to prove that to anyone, it's the placement and physical composition that you'll be wrestling with.

Anyway, good luck to you all, looks like some serious and not so serious competition, but none of you here need be concerned with that.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Level 10 user

You make some good points StevenW, and what I have rendered of the dragon in my entry looks more complicated and less uniform than how I imagine it will evolve given the time to think it through and work it out more carefully in the round. It need only suggest the vaporization concept, not glory in it, nor have that dominate the attention. So, yes, keep it simple, and elegant as well.

I too, find Gil's design to be compelling, and I think it would look great as an independant sculpture. I do not believe that it harmonizes at all with the architecture of the Cathedral. That would not bother some artists who think that it is all about having their work stand out and be noticed. Hopefully he will make it to the next stage and may find a way to have it blend better. I think that my having come from a background as an architect makes me very conscious of having the art look like it was made for the site.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

A 14th century version of Saint George in Prague by the brothers Kolozsvári:

http://www.hung-art.hu/frames-e.html...zsv/index.html
Old 12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Level 10 user

Steven,

You can see my work here at an earlier thread

http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...ead.php?t=8644

Glenn,

I asked them to change the picture of my work and the last time I checked several others did also. You might want to try a photo with more light and shadow. I think it would read better and enhance the drama of the piece.

G
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
.... I do not believe that it harmonizes at all with the architecture of the Cathedral. That would not bother some artists who think that it is all about having their work stand out and be noticed. Hopefully he will make it to the next stage and may find a way to have it blend better. I think that my having come from a background as an architect makes me very conscious of having the art look like it was made for the site.
Or perhaps some people prefer a comfortable acknowledgement of possibility in all its variety... and don't think everything has to be matchy-matchy. It is preferable in terms of composition to vary your "marks" (think of the site as a whole composition) in a pleasing way.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Level 10 user

Giotto, that looks great,.. The first thing that came to mind though was a gingerbread house with all the candy plucked off it and I mean that metaphorically. I'd be thrilled to see something like that indoors unless you think it can stand the test of time somehow or another.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Level 10 user

I submitted to this contest as well. After looking at all the submissions I found that very few of them actually meet the requests of the jury. I was also suprised to find that so may of them were difficult to understand. May be that they didnt post many of the pictures sent. Or like my entry it they need more photos to describe the concept.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Level 10 user

Hi Tobias,

Your photo just doesn't read very well. It may be my computer. They are open to using other photos if you have them. Also why don't you post other views of your work here I would love to see your interpretation.

G
Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Level 1 user

Hello everyone

I too have submitted a proposal for this commission, I have some more detailed images of my composition at this address :-

http://www.jonathanpauldavies.com/The%20Dragon.html

I'm really glad that they have used this format for presenting commission proposals, it's very interesting to see how other people approach these competitions.

Warm regards

Jonathan
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Level 2 user

Jonathan, although your work is technically competent, the design is repulsive and bizarre. St George without a head! and the body of a Mr. Olympia competitor? Come on, this is a Cathedral not the World of Warcraft Headquarters.
I like Stefanie Rocksacks entry. A pot bellied, spaghetti armed, two-legged dragon wearing a mask! Doing battle with st geo as a boy inside a plexiglass house!! Drawn to demonstrate no artistic skill whatsoever.
If either of these two designs make the finals I will buy you a RT 1st class ticket to Perth!