Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Level 8 user

Re: Bronze Clay?

I wonder if it is possible to bypass the sintering heat source (kiln) with a modified mixture of exothermic powders added to the bronze powder. I believe it would still require a controlled atmosphere.

Sorta like a slow thermite reaction.
However the binder burnout stage would have to be at a slower rate or the entire green object would explode.

Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis: the synthesis of compounds (or materials) in a wave of chemical reaction (combustion) that propagates over starting reactive mixture owing to layer-by-layer heat transfer.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0106145348.htm

"...aluminum powder were mixed and placed inside a shallow aluminum foil crucible. A wire was inserted into the mixture, which was then heated to 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit triggering a reaction called self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS), Logan said. The reaction caused the material to form a solid brick. A ceramic crucible was used in later experiments to form complex curved surfaces."
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

Brilliant idea, Arrow, provided it's controllable, of course. Maybe we should consult the experts on Thermite: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...18450327382904

Gary
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Level 4 user

Robert - It sounds and feels just like cast bronze if its done correctly. Only difference I have had is in the look of the surface. If the sintering fails you get a ceramic feel to it. This is what has happened when I have tried to use carbon instead of gas with the bronze ice (water as binder instead of wax) method. So far only gas has resulted in the real deal for me.

Unfortunately my wife is fed up with me using gas as the protective environment in our home so I need to get a separate workshop to conduct further experiments. And using wax as a binder at home is a no-go to..

Arrow - Would be crazy if it was possible to find something that could bind the bronze as well as sinter it! Now that's some creative thinking!

/Daniel
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Level 8 user

here are some pictures of pieces I made with the Pilato process, in a modified pottery kiln in my garage, a twenty dollar crock pot, a fifty dollar vacuum furnace bought at salvage, and a foot massager from Walmart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82506_mark_pilato.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	10892  Click image for larger version

Name:	82507_mark_pilato.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	10893  Click image for larger version

Name:	82509a_mark_pilato.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	10894  Click image for larger version

Name:	82506a_mark_pilato.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	10895  
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Level 10 user

What, no bobby pins or a left handed rolling pin?

That's some pretty fine detail & coloration on the pieces, very striking... I'll have to reread this process. (The details seem to have leaked out in the interim.)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Level 1 user

An update would be nice, how are the experimenters getting on?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Level 2 user

I've not read through every page of this posting but in case no-ones mentioned it here I thought I'd let you know that there is a similar product out there in bronze & copper, it's not cheap though. I've not used these versions of Art Clay but I have used the silver one and found that it works well and with less shrinkage than PMC. Personally, I found the clay a difficult substance to work with, very similar to porcelain clay. I don't know how the bronze might handle. I'm used to working with much firmer materials such as wax or chavant which could account for my difficulty. Here's the UK site anyway if it's of any use to anyone

http://www.silverclay.co.uk/shbr.htm
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Level 10 user

Hi, Sharry. It was PMC that got me to post this thread, to begin with. I was wondering if a similar bronze product for sculptors existed. Well, as you know, it does, but it's very cost prohibitive for sculpture. So, we started talking about ways to come up with our own bronze clay.

Gary
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Level 4 user

I'm late reading this string and wondering why none of the links to Mark's pages are working? Does anyone know?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Level 1 user

I know I'm alittle late to the dicussion but take it for what its worth.
I found this web site that has bronze clay. Not cheap! http://www.cooltools.us/ProductDetai...rClay&CartID=0
Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Level 1 user

Hi, did this discussion really end there, I had some very good results with bronze just using a torch and sodium silicate binder albeit the pieces were jewellery size and I did some steel but used the kiln and charcoal if I remember correctly, just thinking of trying again and wonder if anyone has some updates or where else this might be discussed?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Level 10 user

I haven't seen anything posted here about bronze clay in years.

Richard
Old 05-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Level 10 user

There's going to be a workshop about making your own metal clays later this month, at the Richmond CA location of Douglas and Sturgess (our local sculpture supply house):

Douglas and Sturgess, 1023 Factory St., Richmond, CA 94801

Saturday, May 21
Make It Yourself Metal Clay
11AM-2PM
Metal clays have been around for awhile now but they are still intriguing and fun materials for making small sculpture and jewelry. Find out how to make some basic metal clays with readily available ingredients-most of which you can obtain from us. Of course the atomized metal is the key component and we have a wide variety of metals to choose from.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 05-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Level 10 user

Douglas and Sturgess rescheduled the Metal Clay event; now it's supposed to happen on July 16.