Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Level 10 user

The Studio

Few topics are as central to the life and well being of an artist than the idea of the Studio. Since day one my work space has been as much of a concern as the work done in it. Every artist has a different but simular idea about the perfect working environment.

Let's talk about " the studio ".
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Level 10 user

Re: The Studio

Let's first start with your studio, Aaron, words and pictures. We'll give you the pole position.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Level 10 user

have commenced work on new studio, electrics go in this weekend so i can really get going
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	studio1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	7240  
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Level 9 user

still looking for one to rent. i usually work in the yard, so weather is a problem & losing stuff in the sand/grass & needing to pack everything away all the time cos the yard faces the street & there's no wall or nothing. But it allows dust to blow away no problems.
Used a garage for a while recently, beside a friend's house, that was excellent.
wish i had a place of my own, i would build a workshop with GARGOYLES on the gutters and MOSAICS & skylights & amazing things.
dreaming...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Level 10 user

The studio is my wife. Whoever else is my mistress.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Level 9 user

I want one! Right now my work space is half of the livingroom, and any space I need at the foundry, which is nice, but after 8-10 hours of working there, I'm ready to leave.

The big plans are to build a garage for my husband, with a sizable room for me. Heat, air, WINDOWS, and a floor I can scrape clean. Oh yeah, water, running water would be nice, heated of course. The bank says ok, my husband says let's do it, I just don't like the idea of the debt.

Being the moldmaker, I usually am the one to go to the artist's studios to pick up the pieces they can't transport, for whatever reason. I love getting to step into thier "spaces". The studios are usually very much like thier personalities, so seeing where they create just lets me understand and appreciate them further. The variety is as diverse as they are, with one common theme, I get the sense that this is a place they are so connected with, and sometimes I get the feeling, maybe they don't like others in there. (Or maybe it's because I'm there to take thier work away from them) Anyway, I've always considered it an honor to be allowed in that room, I recognise it as a special place to them.
From orderly and clean to chaotic and cluttered, I want one!

lisa
Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Level 10 user

Dilida (aka Lisa), I think HappySculpting (aka Tamara) also makes use of part of her living room for her clay sculpting. I remember she had mentioned this, and had shown pictures of her 'studio' workspace in this forum. And you know the fantastic works that she has created.

Last edited by Merlion : 11-03-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Level 10 user

Well.. close Merlion.. my studio is near my living room. When we built our house I was doing some forward thinking and had one of the rooms planned for doing my artwork. I thought about lighting and had a large skylight above figured in the plan. At the time, I wasn't thinking of seriously getting into sculpting so I didn't make the room large enough. It's about 14' by 12'.

Linolium was installed which makes for good cleanup everyday from the silica dust. Also, white formica countertops on three sides of the room are supported by scrolly victorian supports (cutout on my scroll saw) that hold up the counter from below. One side of the counter has a cabinet with drawers that supports that end of it.

Now, however, the room is much to small! I need a larger space and have considered converting the garage into my studio or building a walkway off the house to an outdoor bungalow studio. Only problem is then I'd miss being with my husband. You see, he writes novels and is only one room away and I feel that all my solitude time is not really alone, I am with him all the while. Maybe I'll build a big studio where one part is for him with all of his writing equipment. Only thing is that clay dust and computers/printers etc. don't mix. I could have a big glass plate inbetween us! I do need to think of having a model space where there will be privacy for them... (Don't want Ron galking at the nude!)

~Tamara
Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Level 10 user

Tamara, it sounds like we have similar situations (when it comes to spouces) My wife is an aspiring writter (novelist), and I have thought about moving to a studio in the downtown area of where I live. Lots of abandoned buildings right now and it's all near an art district (mostly contemporary galleries). I'd hate to move away from the house though. I think I'd miss the ability to come up stairs and have lunch with my wife at anytime.

As to the topic of the studio... Mine is in the garage. It's under the house because we live on a hill, so my ceiling height is 7' 11". Not the greatest height for sculpting. I also do a lot of wood working (cabinets and such), so I have some very large tools for that purpose, which take up a good percentage of my studio space and create a lot of saw dust. Ideally I would love to have a warehouse like studio, where I could have a woodworking room, a print room (for painting), a mold room with casting area, and of course the sculpting studio itself, with high ceilings and one wall completely covered in mirror. I think as my abilities grow, and if I ever manage to start selling my sculpture, I think having a larger studio might become a reality.

Alfred
Old 11-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Level 10 user

There is a life outside the studio...I suppose. I see that other "me" going off to eat or interact with those few to whom he is unconditionally attached. Life has much to offer.
I have occupied four spaces in my professional art life. Myself and the place was always a solution, not a mixture. The immersions were complete and absolute.
I have a house...spend alot of time and money makin' it nice for everyone else. They deserve it. I want them to be comfotable in there. Sometimes they come into my place - chaos, clutter, and wonder appeals to kids but not necessarily to wives. The noise scares them all back to the house and lurching behemoths, freshly fabricated, gaurd the garage doors.
I have expanded outdoor now and cannot believe my luck. No more limitations...period. When I fill up the acre I'm sure someone will cause the next studio situation. So be it, Its always me and the studio against the universe. Everything else is mostly a quite desirable escapism.

I will have more to say about this.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Level 10 user

Her is a shot of my space,working on a large scale piece.Okay not really,but Bowers fabrication rolled my horse legs and they where fabing up a asphault machine.Yep It never hurts to dream....IA if you look close that is a welder on top of the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bowers fabrication.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	7256  

Last edited by iron ant : 11-03-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: adition
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Level 10 user

Here is my studio space. Don't crowd me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Centaurus.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	7257  
Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Level 10 user

Too late GlennT. I've already used it for my studio. Unless you want to share it.

Back from my joke. My studio is small compared with some of you. It is an extension shed at the back of my house. For clean works, I sometimes do them inside my house.

I don't have a good photo showing my studio. These two taken outside and inside were taken to show my WIPs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Earth0702008F.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	7259  Click image for larger version

Name:	GreenhouseFrame061222.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	7260  
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 AM
ISC Member

I to have issues with the studio at the house or elsewhere. Really like having the studio in the two car garage. Fairly easy to load and unload. Also the garage is seperate from the house, so there is a transition, mentally, from messy, dirty studio to cleaner more orderly houuse.

We have thought of moving and getting a seperate commercial space for me. I would deeply miss seeing my wife who is also an artist. Having lunch together, occasionally offering input on her or my work is invaluable. In addition it is relly good for my old dog when he gets tired of sculpting for the day. I can just take him in the house and go back to work.

Believe it or not, my wife can keep tabs on me through the air compressor. The compressor is in the basement of thehouse. She knows all is okay in my world if the compressor is running. If the compressor runs for a long time, she comes out to make sure that I quit work before I become a zombie.

Carl
Old 11-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Level 10 user

One of the things that sucks about art school is..............studio addiction.

Once you graduate, you have to give up access to multi-million dollar facilities.

Building a studio that can give you the sense of power and opportunity that can equal that of a state university feels like it can take a life time or two or three.

If there is a reason to get a teaching job, it's to have access to the tools, space and materials that can only be found in a tax payer supported studio environment.

The only thing truelly awesome about my space is that I don't have to share it with anyone else.

Total control of ones space can only be had when one owns their studio..............something you can't get in art school.

The studio, I make art/stuff for alot of reasons but mostly to afford my space, my place.............where I'm in control.

I need an acre and 5000 square feet of sheltered space to feel like I can function...........and that's just a default. I feel like I could use so much more.

A really important feature is the large garage door. Being able to drive into the studio space makes all the difference. It's something I wish upon all artist everywhere.

If I was president I'd tax the people ( till it hurts ) and give every one who claims to be an artist loads of money to afford the studio of their dreams. Artist/Sculptors are as good for the economy as the department of defenses..............any day. When we have money .........we spend it..........in a good way. Every one around us benefits.

In my delusional fantasy world, the political parties work to appeal to the sculpture/artist community and adjust their message to get our vote. I'm dreaming.

My studio, my American dream.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Level 10 user

Other humans wandering around in your periphery inside your studio is of maximum distraction. In the past I have had projects of the more commercial nature that required me to attempt to multiply my body and take on assistants. but these were 10 and 15 dollar an hour versions, useful only for grinding slag, coiling-up extension cords and making the beer-run at the end of the day. Art had to happened when they were not there.

Art school studio? Good for students, not for practising artists. Too much sharing of everything. Sharing will prevent the proper work fever...interupt flow, confound progress. You'll spend more time cleaning and "putting away" things in the interest of "respect" to your classmates...er studiomates. No good for art. By the time its your turn to use the mig welder you'll see that the bone-head before you used up all the gas writing his name twenty times on a piece of sheet metal. Your day is done before it started.

You must be the only instgator of action in the place and your "place" will flourish as you move, pulsing through its cappilaries like building blood. It thinks that you are there to serve it. And indeed you are, and it aint cheap; what with the mortgage or rent, the insurance, the repairs, the utility bills and the prodigious amounts of raw material that it devours by the truckloads. But we get to keep the by-product of all this...and sometimes its Art.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Level 10 user

An art school with multi million dollar facilities? Is this part of your dream Aaron? I went to several art schools. There were multiple studios for different types of sculpture but the metal shops in all of them were outfitted just like any commercial metal shop. By no means was or is that anywhere near a million bucks.

As much as we all would like a utopian dream of funding every and all artists, we all also like to sell our art. I'm not sure why artists either ignore or don't realize, that with everything, comes competition. More artists means more art and a flooded market.

The studio is my wife. Whoever else is my mistress.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Level 10 user

oscar, please save us from our wild dreams! what will art be if we keep on dreaming? it could ruin us all! next thing you know we'll all be sculpting things that don't really exist! save us! save us!

seriously though dreams are dreams and if you want to argue logically over dreams then suck on this one: why would we want to sell art if every artist is well funded?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Level 10 user

Well CoolJamie, perhaps many here have yet to sell a piece and relish in the joy of knowing someone truly likes their work by purchasing it.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Level 10 user

if you are referring to me, I have sold a few pieces.

If it is only the satisfaction that you would be looking for with sales in our dream world, then competition wouldn't matter because you could just lower your prices and get your satisfaction from knowing that your value is the same relative to the overall supply of art. Two factors determine the value of goods: scarcity and utility(in this case, the enjoyment people get from your art). Scarcity would plummet with increased supply, and so would your prices have to plummet. So prices in this case could fall without changing peoples enjoyment of your work. Realizing this, you could be just as satisfied with drastically lower prices. All that would change would be the actual value of your income, but you wouldn't care because every artist is well funded, remember?

perhaps the satisfaction would be greater if your pieces were chosen from the masses.

-coolJAMES
Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Level 10 user

We all dream about owning a spacious and tall sculpture studio with good facilities. This should not be just day dream to fantasies. It is all right to dream and try to gradually work towards achieving it, say selling a small one to buy a bigger one. Also be prepare to catch any chance that suddengly comes along, for instance, a warehouse being sold for a song.

Last edited by Merlion : 11-19-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Level 10 user

I quit dreaming. The art world used to be about good art. Now it's just crap and opinion. It used to be that the artist could be different. Now the artist has to be a likable salesman. Talent has given way to personality.

There is no value in art. It's all about depth of pocket book.