Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Level 2 user

About numbering the bronze.

I am making my first sculpture and will bronze it. I would like your opinion on how many I should number before destroying the mold. I know that if I take good care of the mold making the wax pieces I can make many, but will the piece be more or less valuable if I make more or less pieces? Or should I not number them maybe?

Thanks

Algaro
Old 09-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Level 10 user

Re: About numbering the bronze.

There are usually a few that are numbered AP for artist's proof. If you plan on making a large number of casts the amount of APs won't matter much. If you plan on doing a series of 5 then don't do 5 APs.

The value will depend on your talent and when you die.

Thatch
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Level 1 user

Basic rule - 10% of the edition as an AP. As for the total of your edition, that will depend on you. If you mold in Silicone rubber your mold will last much longer than urethane.
Some artists dont number their work, some call that an open edition (no numbers)

whisperfoot
Old 09-26-2006, 01:40 AM
ISC Professional Member

In France the historic rules for edition numbers are 4 Artist Proofs and 8 in the edition. Any editions larger than 12 in total are considered not to be fine art but to be industrial art. The difference as far as the French are concerned involves the tax (Value Added Tax), which is 5.6% -5.8% for fine art and 19.6% for industrial art.
There may also be some social and political considerations as well, but I don't want to comment on these.
Hope this helps
Blake
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Level 3 user

Tough question. You may make ten different sculptures that don't sell well...edition size is moot.
Then you make one everyone wants...the small edition sells out immediately, and fifty more people would buy one if they could...and you need the money. I knew one guy made fifty A.P.s.
Resist the temptation, or your professional reputation goes out the window.
Make the edition as small as you can stand.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 PM

This matter has been discussed several time on the forum.
As Blake I (and all the european sculptors thet I know) apply the western Europe tradition meaning a maximum of 8 in the edition (numbered 1/8 2/8....) and 4 artist's proofs (numbered I/IV II/IV...). Sometimes even less.

Larger editions are considered as industrials, in that case artists protection laws are not on application.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Level 8 user

Most of the time I try to keep the edition at 6 with 3 ap's, and on larger works that are not one of a kinds- an edition of 3 with one ap. Sometimes if I am donating a piece and i want it to make a lot of money for the people I am donating it to, I make the edition 25 with 6 ap's. My chess sets have been editions of 20 my newest one is an edition of 8 with 4 ap's, Hope this helps,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 09-27-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pilato
Most of the time I try to keep the edition at 6 with 3 ap's, and on larger works that are not one of a kinds- an edition of 3 with one ap. Sometimes if I am donating a piece and i want it to make a lot of money for the people I am donating it to, I make the edition 25 with 6 ap's. My chess sets have been editions of 20 my newest one is an edition of 8 with 4 ap's, Hope this helps,
Mark
May be am I too innocent, but what is the point to make ap's if you edit more than 8 originals? instead of editions of 20+ ap's 6, why don't you make editions of 26? What means ap's as none of the 26 pieces will be considered as original due to the large edition?

Originally, ap's were unperfect pieces kept by the artists for personnal use/gift only and not for sale.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Level 6 user

I thought the artists proof was the first cast of a batch, done under close inspection of the artist, and upon approval was kept by the foundry to compare with the susequent castings of that batch. Because an edition is not always done all at once, or all by the same foundry, more than one proof was necessary. After the editions were done and the molds destroyed, the proofs were returned to the artist. They are considered more valuable because they are "closer to the artist", that is likely done under the artists supervision.

Artist's proofs have been used by some to inflate an edition, but this is not really the purpose.

that was my understanding anyway.

Brad
Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Level 8 user

Anne bxl -thats the way I do it, 6 with 3 ap's - every piece is special and I never create a piece that I have not put my all into, but on the artist proofs I experiment a little more, they are very different from the rest of the edition. In the edition, excluding the ap's, I try to mirror what I conceived in my mind after finishing the clay. With every stage I am always looking to the next so when I am sculpting in clay I am thinking of what I can do in the wax and bronze and patina to finish the piece. I can make the edition look the way I want. But again when I sculpt an Ap I re-sculpt the wax, I go away from my original conception and I play a little more. I re-sculpt them so they are very different from the rest, no one artist proof is like another and my collectors know this thats why they love to buy them. As for the chess sets all the ap's are different too, and the reason for the large edition is simple, I sell them out. I have sold chess sets since I was nine and I have always sold out. People collect them from around the world, and most people are very excited about the low edition size. The set I am sculpting now has an edition of 8 with 4 ap's. I think that if you are a trustworthy person, and you have a good reputation and you are up front with people about how many ap's and the edition # then you will sell just as long as you have a good piece. I have work in some pretty cool collections, sometimes people want one of a kinds, but as for edition size I have never not sold a work because of the size of the edition. Picture bellow is the White King in my new set.
All the best,
Mark
http://www.pilatostudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	king.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	4081