Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Level 5 user

Non-Objective artists?

I am looking to meet Non Objective artists. Are there any floating around here on this board?

GWayne
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Non-Objective artists?

What do you mean by non objective.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 AM

Non-objective: 'Art that is not representational, containing no recognizable figures or objects. The term has become less popular, but was originally used to describe a type of abstract art, influenced by cubism, that eliminated the idea of depth, and instead concentrated on composing a harmonious arrangement of grids, shapes, and colour. The nonobjective neoplasticism of Piet Mondrian's rigidly geometric paintings, such as Composition in Blue, Yellow, and Black (1936; Kunstmuseum, Basel), are an example'.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Level 5 user

Re:Reductive art, Minimalism?

Maybe, I should have worded it differently I am looking to meet artists on this forum who create reductive, monochromatic, minimalist artwork.

GWayne
Old 06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
ISC Member

Hi GWayne,

I'm primarily a "non-objective" artist. Good to meet you. And Cantab, thanks for the particularly clear explaination of "non-objective". It is a good reminder, lost in the daily shuffle, of "Oh yeah, that's what I'm doing!" LOL.

Regards,
Brian
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Level 5 user

Cantab,

Hi. Thanks for the definition.

Studioinde,

Hi. Nice to meet you as well.

Quote:
And Cantab, thanks for the particularly clear explaination of "non-objective". It is a good reminder, lost in the daily shuffle, of "Oh yeah, that's what I'm doing!" LOL.
Tell me about it My work has a lot of "minimalist" elements, but it doesn't follow the actual movement down to the letter

Do you have a website or images of your work that could view?

GWayne
Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 AM
ISC Member

GWayne,
Yes, I have some images posted in the photo gallery section of this site, and I also have work shown on the website for the River Gallery in Chelsea, Michigan. Their website is www.chelsearivergallery.com. Thanks for asking, and talk to you soon.

Regards,
Brian Ferriby
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Re: Reductive art, Minimalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWayne
Maybe, I should have worded it differently I am looking to meet artists on this forum who create reductive, monochromatic, minimalist artwork.

GWayne
I kinda fit that description... how depressing.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 AM

Ariach - not depressing at all, very beautiful!
A further definition of non-objective art, applied to sculpture: 'Non-objective sculpture is a completely nonrepresentational form that does not even have a starting point in nature. It arises from a constructive manipulation of the sculptor's generalized, abstract ideas of spatial relations, volume, line, colour, texture, and so on. The approach of the nonobjective sculptor has been likened to that of the composer of music, who manipulates the elements of his art in a similar manner'. From the following excellent site that also discusses minimalism and related sculptural styles. http://www.damonart.com/artist-definitions.html
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for the definition and the link to the site Cantab. I have always had a bit of dificulty with categorizing of art , and the definitions are good to have. I think i would have to let someone else decide what to call my work cause i fit into a few of thoes groups. Gwayne I get what you mean now and i still dont know if I fit haha. I will post a pic and you guys can tell me what I am.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elpulpo.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	3284  
Old 06-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Level 10 user

Hi there GWayne, nice to meet you. Iím one also; in fact I just posted a new piece in the Images Gallery called the Forgiving Wall. Pop by if you get a chance. http://www.sculpture.net/community/s...ead.php?t=3046
I really enjoy your work, particularly the white on white sculptures. Iíve visited your site several times now Ė your work is mentally soothing and find the use of negative space as a major roll in the overall composition to be highly developed.

Tobias imho it would be called abstract or non-objective art. It has a tribal feel to it too.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 PM

Ah, Tobias, you have a sense of humor. Do you think we do not see the octopus? Post an image of the opposite side of the piece. I dare thee.

But your post leads to a question for GWayne: Is your art, which references mathematical concepts, non-objective after all? Isn't a square or a rectangle an established, extant shape just as a nose or ear would be? Perhaps the fact that they are man-made shapes makes them non-objective in your view? What about organic abstractions? Are they any less non-objective? I'm attaching four images of a piece I cast in plaster that I have intentionally left untitled. It is non-objective, reductive and monochromatic, isn't it, albeit in another way? You may feel that it is less pure than yours, which may be true from the minimalist point of view because the hand of the artist is apparent, but is it actually? I think that try as we might to avoid visual references in our abstract work, the natural gestalt that all viewers' functioning brains are wired with ensures that we will, indeed, read things into even the most minimal artworks (except those that totally bore the viewer). What say you about the possibility of organic abstraction as being non-objective?
JAZ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	3312  Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	3313  Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	3314  Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-4.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	3315  
Old 06-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Level 10 user

Jaz it is indeed an octopus and I will post the other side but who is to say its an octopus? lots dont see it. I suppose it is more about intent than final product hey ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	3372  
Old 06-24-2006, 08:27 PM
ISC Member

I suppose I could am a bit of the nonobjective, but I may also fit into some of those other disciplines?

Thats what I get for lack of art education I guess.
John

website at: www.johnesimms.com
Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms
Thats what I get for lack of art education I guess.
What you get from being self-taught is freedom of style.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 AM
ISC Member

Hi, I'm a non-objective artist!
I don't want to change the subject of this thread but feel that I must share this rebuttal to what Merlion stated in the last post.
EDUCATION (whether formal or not) = KNOWLEDGE (the more you have the better) = FREEDOM (to pursue any style you want and have the wherewithal to bring it to fruition, hopefully, it's your own unique vision!).
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Ironman,
I did not imply that education would not get us freedom of style.
Ideally it should. Some good art teachers/professors do actively encourage this freedom, and creativity.
Unfortunately some do not, even with good intentions, partly because of practical difficulties, unless the class is small. I have personal experience as I have been in the teaching profession myself.
Sometimes it is the good and adventurous student who takes it upon himself/herself to try out new styles.