Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Level 1 user

Exclamation Notion of creativity, what is it and why is it ?

Hi all,
As a conscious being conscious himself .
I want to talk about my notion of creativity, what is it and why is it ?
I believe this is the most fundamental important stage of understanding for an artist is to answer these questions.
When I think of my own existence. I cast my mind to nature as the source It's obvious that we are the productions of nature. what is the nature in and of itself ? I see the nature as a machine which creates ever-more increasing complex structures organisms,colors, patterns, shapes, forms of connectedness… ever-more exotic juxtapositions etc. And we are ONE with it. And As conscious part of itself.

Before I carry on this thread I want to point out some direction-less qualities given us by the culture , ideas such as Oscar Wilde says "Art never expresses anything but itself".
Does Art really never expresses anything but itself ????
It expresses unspeakable,ideas, meanings .
Art is an activity a tool for us to understand and communicate%2

Last edited by Gunes Akseki : 03-03-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Notion of creativity, what is it and why is it ?

We are homo-aestheticus above all else. Indeed. But dont give all the credit to Nature. Nature is linear, predictable, blind and NOT self-critical. It is far from the most determining factor in human "creativity".

There is an unfathomable will in our ghost. And that ghost stands alone against everything (and "with" nothing").

Of course art communicates...because communication is merely necessary. Nature makes us do it. But art is not FOR communicating, not even with oneself. Art is for the addressing of (and the dressing-down of) the aformentioned unfathomable. And a fathoming is not the goal; we ghost-injected wriggling sides of beef improve be more questions...not answers.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Level 10 user

Far from believing this:
Quote:
Nature is linear, predictable, blind and NOT self-critical. It is far from the most determining factor in human "creativity".
, my experience informs me that nature is cyclical, both predictable and capable of suprise, expressive of intelligence beyond that which is noticed in general by humans, and is available to be communicated with when we still the noisy mind and make a respectful effort.

It is unfortunate that those who live in cities rarely experience the quiet neccessary to tune into the profound presence of the "holy spirit" that can be felt when one engages in deep communion with nature.

With all due respect, Evaldart's one-size-fits-none definitions of art are good mind-benders, and a challenge to see if you really believe what you know or are ready to toss it all away in favor of the latest wordsmithy brew of iconoclastic pontification.

Wilde's definition is a different version of the same, only much less informative.

Art does not need to communicate when one sees themself as the center of the universe. But for the rest of us who recognize that our individualized focused perspective is just one of many such, and who value the eventual return to pure light of our cultural musings and expression, art does serve as a means to communicate, indeed the unfathomable, but also the fathomably delightful as well. It can also be co-opted to communicate baser impulses, or to make statements full of political and social commentary. These may or may not be less noble uses, but are no less art for having done so.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn, it is antiquated and quite surpassed, that thought that oneself is at the proverbial "center of the universe". That was the first baby-step into the greater venue of human self-examination (likely tracable to the greeks).
But the human thinker has come SOOO far since then; every hard-working, lunch-pail carrying, voracious and indulging perceptual analyzer has quite long since realized that if he/she is "anywhere" in relationship to the universe (and one neednt keep one's vision fenced-in so tightly) he/she is quite at the EDGES of it. Yes, AT THE PERIMETER of the universe is the place to wander. And when you look inside from that precipice, adrenalined by your teetering, you'll notice that the poor saps at the center are just being puppeted by lazy thinking.
Yes, it is a very good episode of metaphorical consideration to imagine one's "place". Such thoughts are the real "roots" of the pure creative act.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Level 10 user

e, you're such a metaphornicator!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I want to talk about my notion of creativity, what is it and why is it ?
I believe this is the most fundamental important stage of understanding for an artist is to answer these questions.
Why? Is this really a valid question? I mean, we can't even define the basic terms, like "what is art?". Perhaps all this is beyond the reach of language. Hence, it's in the doing, not the talking.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Why? Is this really a valid question? I mean, we can't even define the basic terms, like "what is art?". Perhaps all this is beyond the reach of language. Hence, it's in the doing, not the talking.
Yep, it is indeed beyond language. But not necessarily beyond thought. I think it is very well-spent intensity to wonder about the source of creativity. Because first it calls upon you to wonder about the nature of creativity. From there one may assess many of their actions and activities - then sort them properly, and perhaps put them in the order of purity; establish that hierarchy of possibilities that might attach itself to our potency.

But ANSWERING these (as questions) is not only impossible but not at all desirable. There is a point in "seeking" where we become satisfied with the "finding" (whether we actually have found anything or not). That satisfaction is the death of the venture ; seen perhaps as relief (or release) from some internal toiling. "Doing" doesnt stop unless you stop it (or submit to a stopping). While your atoms need recharging your "will" (atomless) can go on an on and perform many things at once...and one of those things that should ALWAYS be boiling, front or back burner, will be the regarding of the unfathomable. And that will require an enduring of the X-Ray Specs heavy on the brim of your nose. Drop your chin and peer over them for regular stuff - and raise it back strong and resilient for the important stuff.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Yep, it is indeed beyond language. But not necessarily beyond thought....But ANSWERING these (as questions) is not only impossible but not at all desirable.
Once you really come to terms with the impossibility of definitive answers, why think more when you know the outcome? Additional so called thinking won't be productive, but just time out to play with your noodle...which is kinda what you're getting at, elliptically.

"Life is not a problem to be solved but a mystery to be lived" Thomas Merton
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
thinking won't be productive
We are not a factory...theres no reason to be concerned with any product.

Last edited by evaldart : 03-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Level 10 user

I AM a factory.
I am an industrial artist, and, over the years, I have made a lot of products.

Doesnt bother me in the least.
I LIKE product.

I dont think of myself as any more rarified, special or better than anybody else who makes things.
Some people are better at making things, and make better things.

I try to make better things.

But they are still, in the end, products, in the sense that I make em, using all the same ideas, skills, techniques, and materials as anybody else who makes things in the world.

Art aint special. Its just another product of humans. One that has certain attributes that some other products dont. But is also lacking in certain attributes that other products DO have.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Level 10 user

One "gets" from their (notion of) art what one makes of it...for many folks, indeed, its just a livin'.
Like a job. There are other notions, though.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Level 10 user

Notion:

1. an opinion, view, or belief:

2. a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.

3. a fanciful or foolish idea; whim

I guess "notion" was a good choice of words...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Level 10 user

Metaphornicator meets Dictionarrogance
Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Level 3 user

Creativity by it's essence creates. We create piss by drinking water (sort of), everybody is creative. Creativity is overrated. Why not talk about originality.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Level 9 user

Creativity is simply hard wired into homo sapiens, just like building a hive is to the bee. There is no real reason to belly button gaze to try to explain it, especially as though it puts one above everything else. Those who are obsessive become artists. Dogs communicate by pissing on the grass.

Art is a product. Money is important. Spiritual fulfillment is over rated.

The only other reason to do art is that it is fun and keeps me from getting a "real job."
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Level 3 user

Probably it's more of a case of....

If you feel like it? Do it.
Unless you are told to do something inspirational.
That is a whole other ball game.

www.youtube.com/user/StoneCarvingDesign
Stone Carving Videos
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Level 2 user

I often feel somewhat possessed when I'm on a roll. Like Close Encounters of the marble kind.
But creativity, as we've established, is not limited to "art" alone, but is in full force as we live our daily lives. I have always thought to create and to perceive were practically synonymous.
I have a really nice belly button.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Level 8 user

My Grandmother explained to me that I would see things in blocks of wood or stone. All I had to do was to cut away all the extra. That is so.
Sometimes, I want to see things. I find a block that is tailored to my concept.
I carve away the extra.

I come from a world with abstract jobs. In terms of "widgets", we made nothing
but better informed people. Many, many of my colleagues had very non-abstract hobbies, interests, call them what you will. They made things of substance. So have I, for many decades.

Perhaps the definition or notion of creativity becomes colored by this. People with concrete substance jobs lean in favor of perhaps the musical arts. I was on the other side, yearning for something to show for an otherwise mentally exhausting day.

I waste no time exploring this any more. I do what I do and am satisfied by it. I'll change my diet if indigestion creeps in.