Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Level 10 user

big cirle of life

a collector in ATL gave me my first real commision in 1987.I wound up doing three sculpture,and an art esate gate over a period of five years. I think I last saw her at my solo exhibit at the Lowe gallery in Atl in 2001. Now she is chairperson of a university museum,and she has come back to me all these years later to do a public sculputer honoring the schools anniversary. We are meeting foundation people, and 3-d imaging guy next week.The presentation has to get by the school president,or the idea will not make it to the next stage,fundraising.I have worked alone for 25 yrs,the commission would be so large I might need a crew of 10 at least,a real freeking nail biter.I hope to share more if we get the green light, and the funds can be raised,as it is going to be probally the largest "public" work of art in the SE?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 AM
ISC Member

Re: big cirle of life

Hey Ant, that's great, wow, I hope you get it. you might have to farm it out to a fabricator if it's that big. wow again.
maybe you can get Serra or DiSuvero to help you, LOL!!
wish you the best,
Jeff
Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up Re: big cirle of life

I've got my fingers crossed for you, IA!!!
Keep us apprised of the latest as the process continues!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Level 10 user

No nail biting. You just keep assuring everyone you can pull this off with ease. Say "Thats not a problem" to every issue they confront you with (unless it has to do with money). You'll find a way to get it done, all they've got to do is turn you loose. And dont let the fabricators have all the fun (get all the money). Theres room for you to get dirty; and the dirtier you get the better the thing will be.

Oh, and enough teasing, lets see a sketch or something
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Level 10 user

Rooting for the home team, good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

thanks guys.I started thinking since it will be on a University campus I guess it's not really public art but an instalation.Actually it will not be the largest as one whole sculpture,it will comprise more like a river of my Horses flowing from a main intersection,over the school fence meander through the campus and end at the library. The tricky part is the sheer volume or numbers of sculptures vs the clock.I don't want to comprimise my work,so extending their timetable might be the key.As far as getting dirty I will be knee deep in. I would have to rent 15'000 sq ft ,give or take, wharehouse,rent forklift,buy a few migs, a tig,an eaglebender,bunch of grinders and abrasives and ill be off to the races. Probally have to move there for a year or so,as tying in to education to get the money,so satelite schools and the university will have acess to whats going on? It is really to good to be true,although it will be one good headach,I think at the end of the day, bring that pain on baby
Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Level 10 user

what an amazing opportunity! And at the end, you will have fresh toys with which to do even greater "damage". Does it get any better than that?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Level 10 user

You might have an opportunity at cheap labor here if you can find opportunities to work with the schools sculpture students (for credit or as interns).

Universities LOVE that kind of stuff!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Level 10 user

Why not get the ball rolling? Agree upon a payment schedule and start making them. Install them in groups. Let them appear to reproduce over a yearlong period, their growing numbers becoming part of the "event". Then you dont need to pay for the storage space of the completed ones. And you'll end up getting more time to do it because nobody can ever "fund-raise" as quickly as they think they can...the project will inevitably extend relieving some production stress.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

e's right, plus think of all the metal hay those horses would eat if you had to store them. Don't let the scope of it scare you. It is a great opportunity to make a major impression and it can be handled step by step at a time.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Level 10 user

Excellent oportunity!

I`d just keep on planning..... and don`t talk much about it till the animal is tied you know. Projects like that one are very attractive to many, and don`t want the game to be scared and run. Best vibes to you though and keep up yours too on it!
Hey that lady in the University Museum knows you and your work, that`s a BIG plus, as you`ve got your foot well on the door. Best luck to ya!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Level 10 user

EV, your thinking like we are,nice.,and Nelson I am doing my best to keep quite,just wanted to share a little in my excitement vs fear of such an undertaking. I figures a horse is like taking up a parking space,and that would be about 7000Sq ft of space if I had to store,and then instalation would be a nightmare.I did not want to really say how many,but you guys and gals are pretty sharp,any guesses? The 3-d guy is from England,and he is unreal. He put on the five day event,made a document book ect, in Berlin for Ford Motor Co when they launched the new Festiva in Europe.He has always done big Corporate,and he has wanted to do Art,he will be a big part of the marketing and cataloging,and documenting this feat if it happens.Keep ya posted a s I can.....
Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Level 10 user

IA, I worked on lots of huge movies with huge budgets and stars and egos and all of that. The people that actually get them made are regular people, Not super humans. Yes they work hard and long but so do you. You can do it just as well as anyone. Break it down in parts like Eval says and it will be much easier not only logistically but for your mind as well. Don't forget to have fun.