Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Level 10 user

SPURT.... SOURCE atelier d'art- France

for july juillet 2010 in encausse les thermes, midi pyrenees, haute garonne , France.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SOURCE...23387141023139
email; sourceatelier@yahoo.com
with; steve faint, melanie de quincey, andrew munks, marion lachaise, jacob farrell, sophie michael, jim racine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spurt1.4.11web.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	12343  
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Level 7 user

Re: SPURT.... SOURCE atelier d'art- France

You do get around Pigeon Voyageur.

I checked the work (and the words, ...) of some of the artists, interestingly edgy.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazie View Post
interestingly edgy.
I see this word "edgy" being used in some art circles the several years, and still am unsure as to its meaning. My personal sense of it is that it relates to an attitude of someone who, for example, if you asked them for the time of day, might be inclined to slug you for disturbing their inner tranquility while they were playing Metallica music in their head.

It may refer to having "an attitude", ie, being pissed off all the time. That would probably get old after a while, so maybe it is just an attitude manufactured for the moment of creating something "edgy". It may be that "edgy" is just another thing like "expressionist" or "post-modernism" that someone started doing and it became hip so a lot of people wanting to be distinquished as "individuals who are different than the norm" started doing in large numbers. Thus this edgy could be not a genuine expression but the copying of a phenomena that is seen as a springboard to recognition.

If "edgy" is the new cool, when that gets old, what happens next..."edgeless"? "Smoothy"? Or maybe it doesn't get old for a while, as people are just on edge all the time.

Any insights, or should I just shut the f up?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Any insights, or should I just shut the f up?
naw, keep talking, it's more fun
Think of edgy as anything that gives pause and makes you think "that's not how we do things". daring and audacity as opposed to merely sullen.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Level 10 user

Glenn, dont trouble yourself about it...its just more damned language - none of it is baffling, plow through the annoyances, interpret with force what stops you and walk dangerously at the boundaries of comprehensibility (not the edges of it...anymore).

Z was merely referring to her perceivings that the content was unusual, Thats all. And there are a thousand ways to say that (too bad there isnt a million).
Old 07-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
It may refer to having "an attitude", ie, being pissed off all the time...this edgy could be not a genuine expression but the copying of a phenomena that is seen as a springboard to recognition.
Its a harmless, friendly expression. Kinda like saying some music has a catchy sound, that hasn't been played to death. Edgy is like saying art has a catchy idea or look, that hasn't been seen to visual overload.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks g, e, and j for the explanation. I guess my old-fashioned linguistic interpretation had missed the boat, perhaps due to being too edgy.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Level 7 user

... barely back and getting smacked! Such fun.

Marion Lachaise is the one that prompted the words:

"Interesting" as used in California

and

"Edgy"

which Mr. Le Professeur GennT means (among other things):

-> Daring, provocative, or trend-setting

Combining the CA meaning of interesting with edgy is exactly what I meant.

GlennT if you read French try reading www.marionlachaise.com that should keep you busy for a long time.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Level 10 user

thank you Z Gr & E and also Gl, Marion is quite a wonderful artist, im sure she prefers rachmaninov to metalica and keeps her slugs to the wall and perhaps the garden. i quite like edgy, suggests an unwordable provocativeness and am sure that even the most stodgy of famous long dead artists would have qualified for edgy at some time or other, hopefully when alive and unfamous.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Level 10 user

I think edgy is short for cutting edge or almost there. Like tipsy is close to drunk but not quite.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 AM
ISC Member

THAT'S EDGY???????
Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Level 10 user

I wonder if the term edgy has anything to do with the edge of the world or flat earth theory? I suppose it could be some sort of 19th century mock throwback term reflecting something along those lines. The edge of the world being an unknown, new, unexplored and thus "edgy". Which leads me to another notion.. Perhaps our desensitization toward "shock" will make the new and unexplored and "edgy" obsolete. Things that would have stirred the imagination and caused great commotion even 10 years ago are a dime a dozen today. "Thrills" are dead no matter what content they hold and along with those thrills dies edginess, to be replaced with the predictable and hum drum perhaps.. For 14 thousand years when an Indian made a piece of "art". everyone knew what was coming: A totem pole or a pot, a medicine bag or a head dress and no one seemed too disappointed about it.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Level 10 user

I remember reading but can't remember where, that among a certain tribe(s?) of american indians it was totally taboo for one to have a "self- image". Meaning I thought that a "self image" was seen as some sort of mental disease. And punishable by death! That might explain the lack of innovation among certain peoples and the longevity of traditional ways of doing things and making their art. The tribe was more important than the individual. (No wonder the 'white man' got rid of them..)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
"Thrills" are dead .
hm, theres still killing and sex, car crashes and terrorism.[not sure about terrorism]
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Level 10 user

"Thrills". I'll take that on for a blurt. They are those things that draw you out from the battle. They are pursued excess, danger perhaps, with no end. I do like the word "thrilling" because it agrees with go-time: just like just like abandon, escape and disregard. If you think that mere observation can be thrilling then you must be looking at Rothko or Serra (or whomever you find tortuously unfathomable).

France? Why the hell would anyone regionalize art....it is ever quite the same thing everywhere?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Level 10 user

WTH is a thrill? What does that mean in the way you think you can talk about it without talking about?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Level 10 user

go get a thrill Joe. If you have to ask then.........
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Level 10 user

What it is is that I get sooo many thrills. But most people don't recognize half of them. So I don't use the word litely. I go for a constant buzz in search of WTF.