Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Level 10 user

Getting Stoned

I just signed a contract with my gallery ! I will be installing a solo show of stone sculptures. They have agreed to pay for all the materials and consumables (diamond blades polishing pads fork lift rental ...). They are also giving me $2000 per month for 3 months as living expenses. The only thing they asked for in return is that I change my commission take from %60 to %40.
The stone will be Basalt from the Columbia river basin in Washington state. If you don't know what basalt is here you go.
Very hard stone(harder than granite) ,it's been carved since or before ancient Egypt. It tends to be dark grey to black in color. The Columbia river basin stone tends to be found in columnar type formations.
I will be caving columns that range in diameter from 3 inch to 16 inch and lengths from 2 to 6 feet.
The work will be figurative in nature quite like what I have been doing in wood. They agreed to this based on my sales record last year. I am very excited about this and a little bit nervous at the same time.
An example of where I'm going figure wise