Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Level 2 user

Experience with Sculpture.org?

Hi, folks! Have you had experience with sculpture.org? They have a lot of pretty good sculptors, showing sculpture at pretty good (quite good) prices. I wrote to them and they wrote back right away. They didn't say anything about a selection process, just that annual membership is $500. I wrote back saying, can you give me any references. They didn't reply as quickly. Haven't replied yet (it's just been a few hours). Anyway: are you listed with them? Are you getting sales making the membership fee worthwhile? Other comments?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
ISC Member

Re: Experience with Sculpture.org?

Mobius,

I also contacted Sculpture.org a couple of months ago. They seemed very eleiptical about the benefits of joining their organization. I could not fathom any upside to joining. It seemed the only benefit that was derived was that Sculpture.org got your money.

Carl
Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Level 10 user

that $500 figure from? I found;

Basic Member $95 US/Canada/Mexico; $115 International.

The next level up is $200

But memberships include the 10 issues of their magazine, discounts on art supplies, and more. Most magazine subscriptions seem to average around $35 or so, and for the $95 it doesn't seem out of line, especially when specialty, trade or professional magazines are usually pretty expensive.

The issue is, how will this help YOU or make sales for you? does Joe Public read "Sculpture" magazine when looking for something to buy? is it even on the "newsstands"? likely not, other than "critiques" and being able to say you are a member of... and having a slick magazine to read, the art supply discounts may be about the only real benefit to you- IF you buy enough, IF you buy from I'm sure- their sponsors, and I'm sure there's restrictions.

For $95 for the year though, I'd say if the magazine's contemporary looking theme for art jives with what you do, try it for one year and see. This wouldn't be of any benefit to ME as my work is totally different, but there are similar outfits and publications that would be geared towards figure sculpture, classical art, animal sculpture etc I'm sure.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Level 2 user

Hey, this is Lauren again (a Membership Associate at the ISC).

Woodmobius, are you sure you talked to someone at the International Sculpture Center? We don't currently have a membership level that costs $500. That said, we are in the middle of a membership redesign (you may have read about it in Sculpture.) If there is confusion about membership categories and benefits, the redesign might be the reason... but I'm trying to make the information on sculpture.org as clear as possible: New Membership information can be found here

Starting in June, we plan to have an "Associate Level" membership for $500, but the benefits of that level are really geared towards galleries and other arts organizations.

The Basic Membership is currently $95, as Landseer said, or the Professional Level is $350. Those are the best choices for a working artist who wants to become a member.

Landseer, there are many collectors, galleries, and arts professionals subscribed to the magazine. And sculpture.org receives over 100,000 hits per day, so I think there are direct benefits to showing your work in these places. I'm actually gathering material for my own Portfolio page on the website.

As for the vendor discounts, we're currently creating a new database of suppliers who wish to give our members a discount. Any supplier can be listed on our website for free. If you have any ideas of a vendor you'd like to see on the site, send you suggestions to me and I'll try to contact them!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Level 2 user

Curiouser and curiouser. tonofelephant seems to have found the same place I found:
http://www.sculpture.org
The $500 figure was quoted to me by Eileen Goldstein, eileen@sculptor.org
She still hasn't gotten back to me about references. I looked up a couple of sculptors on their site whose work is in the same broad category as mine, and emailed them, and haven't heard yet.

Oh, here we go. I wrote sculpture.org. It is, in fact, sculptor.org. I wonder if I should start a fresh thread with the right name?

Thanks for your time, folks!