Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 AM
ISC Professional Member

Sales Contract

undefined

Can someone please send me a blank Sales Contract? Or else tell where I can download one. Thanks. Marcia
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Level 6 user

Re: Sales Contract

For free?

A sales contract or a commission contract?

warren
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
ISC Professional Member

Thanks for responding Warren. you say "For free?" A couple of years ago some very nice artist sent me a blank sales contract...which I can't find cause I've moved around so much in the last 5 years....and he never asked me to pay him...nor did he expect to be paid...so I thought this is something people are willing to do "for free". Should I expect to pay for this?
I may have a commission for a sculpture/s and since I don't know this person I thought I should have a contract that explains the sculpture in detail, cost, when payments should be made, delivery etc.
Is this called a Commission contract?
Thanks for your help.
Marcia
Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Level 3 user

hi Marcia; there is a very good book put out by the british council on the commissionong process with several contract processes in it. The book also discusses what to consider when contracting in detail. You seem to be on to it with what needs to be in a contract and the need to have one, its the things that arent obvious that can get you later. Ill see if i can find the book and get the isbn number.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
ISC Member

How about "Business and Legal Forms for Fine Artists" by Tad Crawford?

isbn 1-58115-031-8

It has forms you can copy, tear out, and a CD with forms in different computer formats

Everything can be modified to suit and Crawford offers many good suggestions.

Good luck.

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006
Old 06-07-2005, 11:29 PM
ISC Professional Member

Dear Oddist,
Thanks much for the help. The book you suggest sounds like it's just what I'm looking for. When I finish putting something together, if you want to use it I can send you a blank...Thanks again, Marcia
Old 06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Level 10 user

Marcia,You may also try this Business Forms,andContracts(in plain english) for Craftspeople by Dubofff , sound legal information without mumbo-jumbo.It also has tear out and has been helpful to me.....post your commission when you pull it off...ES
Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM
ISC Professional Member

Dear Iron Ant,
(interesting name?) I haven't had a chance to look at your work yet...It will probably explain your choice of name to use. Thanks for the advice. Presently, I have the potential of two monumental sculptures from two different sources. If I'm lucky enough? to get a commission, I'll be ready with a contract...thanks to people like you who have been kind and generous enough to share this info. And, I'd be soooooooo happy to post the commission. Let's hope you'll hear from me again.... Marcia
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Dear Iron Ant,
(interesting name?) I haven't had a chance to look at your work yet...It will probably explain your choice of name to use. Thanks for the advice. Presently, I have the potential of two monumental sculptures from two different sources. If I'm lucky enough? to get a commission, I'll be ready with a contract...thanks to people like you who have been kind and generous enough to share this info. And, I'd be soooooooo happy to post the commission. Let's hope you'll hear from me again.... Marcia
Marcia,actually I would like to change it to M3 for mini metal man,but I guess the name poped in my head because folks think of metal sculptors as big lumberjack type,well I am 5'2'' and 112lbs.I don't work in iron,but I am like a ant because I stay busy,constant building,and I can be pesky as heck some times.Also, I was a powerlifter in college,114lbclass,kind of had this freeky strenghth.I was second in the whole state until I overdeveloped a muscle in my arm which was pinching my nerve ,and a doctor cut it open ,cut my muscle in two and threw a snake like scar down a good portion of my left arm.That was 1983 when I started art school,so I have been "pushing" steel ever sence ,and I will never walkin a wieght room sence.

I am also working on a design for a monumental sculpture for the university I attend.My proffesor is retiring after over thirty years teaching ,and 06 will be twenty yearsas a full time sculptor,so we have been choosen to colaborate on a sculpture for the new art scool Betty Foy Sander,past governors wife,is building.She is an artist,I think she is 80 now,and she is giving back to the school big time.It will be called the Betty Foy Sanders Fine Art Department,imagine that.We are also working on contracts to get model money to get the ball rolling,and they have not broke ground yet.The Architects have changed thing several times,but are piece will be out front.The first big monumental art piece in the whole area,should be a really positive thing for everybody involved. p.s. her book is called THE ARTIST WITHIN Tht Legacy of Betty Foy Sanders Georgia's 74th First Lady........Huge art supporter,She and her husband started the Council for thr Arts in GA...

I have enjoyed seeing your work,clean positive negative,and you seem very prolific...props

Last edited by iron ant : 06-09-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 AM
ISC Member

CARFAC Ontario also provides a very good collection of model agreements/contracts. It's not free, but it's the best $45 I've spent in a long time.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:00 AM
ISC Professional Member

Thanks for the response, Julianna. I've purchased the Business & Legal Forms for the Fine Artist that was recommended and I'll see if that does it for me. Thanks again for your help. Marcia
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 AM
ISC Member

Updated link for the contract book:

http://www.carfacontario.ca/services/books
Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
ISC Professional Member

oo, sorry, I was mistaken about when I asked for help. I just saw our previous emails and I realize now that it was the book I ordered at your recommendation that I used as a beginning for the contract that I ended up with using for the exhibition I had last September. It was very helpful, Julianna, and thanks for sending the newest update for that book. Marcia
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Level 3 user

Hi Marcia, You could try Royal British Society of Sculptors, a really good organisation...I thought I might hear from you when you came to Jerusalem, oh well next time.
Good Luck with the commission!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
ISC Member

Not a problem, Marcia!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM
ISC Member

I've got a first (small) public monument proposal to put together and am wondering if there are any proposal templates out there I can use.

Realizing there are all sorts of nits to consider, such as graffiti-proofing, site maintenance and some others I'm sure I haven't thought of. Grateful if anyone has any files or links to share for a basic public/monument proposal. I can work out the contracts later if I get the proposal -- I think this thread has some good resources on that.

One specific question: when I ran I design firm, we used to markup all the costs on the project by 17% as our 'project management fee', a trick we learned from the advertising industry, and which our clients were used to from their dealings with ad firms. I wonder if sculptors can or customarily do the same -- marking up all the costs of casting, stone, site work, installation crews etc. by 17%. I know that 17% saved our cookies more than once. Anybody use that technique in bigger projects?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM
ISC Member

Bob, pricing is one of those topics that makes an appearance here on occassion, and everyone has their own way of doing it. A 17% markup sounds like a good idea...just make sure it doesn't make the total price unreasonable