Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Level 10 user

3d printing costs and other issues....

Hello,
This is for some of you who know about 3d printing, I think there are some.
I work with 3d graphics but not touched 3d printing yet.
I have some 3d shapes I want to get 3d printed to incorporate into real work.
Can anyone give me an idea of the costs that companies charge?
Mt print is about 3 or 4 inches by 1.5 inches.
Fair amount of detail, ie its an insect.
I want to then cast the object therafter to get copies so the material would need to be able to be put into a mould etc.
The file is in 3ds max.

If anyone knows,
ie would this be around $50, $100, $200 etc.
Also, whats the law regarding copywrite issues. I am not overly happy sending a 3d mesh to people just for a quote especially when I can sell it on turbosquid.com
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Level 10 user

Re: 3d printing costs and other issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftonGraphics View Post
Hello,
This is for some of you who know about 3d printing, I think there are some.
I work with 3d graphics but not touched 3d printing yet.
I have some 3d shapes I want to get 3d printed to incorporate into real work.
Can anyone give me an idea of the costs that companies charge?
Mt print is about 3 or 4 inches by 1.5 inches.
Fair amount of detail, ie its an insect.
I want to then cast the object therafter to get copies so the material would need to be able to be put into a mould etc.
The file is in 3ds max.

[You probably need to generate an STL file; the 3ds format isn't widely used for this. It's also important to make sure that there are no holes in your mesh - it has to be "watertight" or the software can't tell the inside from the outside. While there are a number of service bureaux that can do this sort of thing, you might have to go outside of Scotland to get a good price on it. Shapeways, based in the Netherlands, would be a good place to start. I'm not sure if their prices are the lowest, or their detail is the best, but they have a wide range of material choices, and they're used to dealing with non-industrial customers.]

If anyone knows,
ie would this be around $50, $100, $200 etc.

[Different materials and processes sell for different amounts. Pricing is based on the number of cubic inches of material used, with the overall volume factored in.]

Also, whats the law regarding copywrite issues. I am not overly happy sending a 3d mesh to people just for a quote especially when I can sell it on turbosquid.com
Thanks!
[I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. Sending your model to a service bureau for a quote doesn't preclude you from selling it on turbosquid or wherever. But if the service bureau were to sell it without your authorization, that would be a violation of your copyright.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Level 10 user

Hi Andrew, from your experience is one usually able to sign something or is there an EULA where the printer cannot use the mesh? Any rough figures on how much they might charge me for a 3 inch long by 2 inches mid detailed print? I am aware of turbosquid rights as I have sold quite a lot there over the last ten years.
Yes I know that is asking how long a piece of string is but any idea would be good!
Many Thanks.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftonGraphics View Post
Hi Andrew, from your experience is one usually able to sign something or is there an EULA where the printer cannot use the mesh?

[I don't think that I've ever seen a EULA connected to a 3D printing job. But just like with anybody who you hire to reproduce your work in any form, you should make it clear that they are not allowed to violate your copyright and produce any unauthorized copies. If you get that in writing, so much the better.]

Any rough figures on how much they might charge me for a 3 inch long by 2 inches mid detailed print? I am aware of turbosquid rights as I have sold quite a lot there over the last ten years.

Yes I know that is asking how long a piece of string is but any idea would be good!
Many Thanks.

[If you can calculate the number of cubic centimeters in your part, the Shapeways materials page <http://www.shapeways.com/materials/> will give you a pretty good idea of how much it would cost to build. Shipping is extra, of course, but not a big factor in something this small. You can also sell your models there, by starting a Shapeways store - instead of just downloading it, customers would be shipped a part in the material of their choice.]

Andrew Werby
Old 09-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Level 10 user

Ok thanks,
that site is useful as unlike other 3d printing sites it gives a clearer indication of costs without having to send a mesh to them initially.
I will post some images here once I get something printed.
The model alone will not be the artwork, I need to duplicate the model by casting it afterwards and changing the poses and other things too.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Level 1 user

Smile Re: 3d printing costs and other issues....

Maybe I can help you?not sure,see attached picture.we do by CNC machine and scaning machine

Best regards,

WallaceWu 吴宇光

Wallacewuyuguang@gmail.com
Mobile Phone:18721588502 18019061295
QQ:767514261
MSN:wuyuguang_2006@tom.com

Address: Shanghai Fengxian district nanqiao Town jianghai Village wuxing#545
(上海市奉贤区南桥镇江海村五星545号)
Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Level 5 user

Since no one has added to this thread in a year, I'll give it a bump. This is such a rapidly-changing field, that there may be some new options out there now. I would be particularly interested in more recommendations for 3D printing services. I looked into Shapeways.com and it looks interesting. Are there better options?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Level 10 user

I think they're still the low-price leaders, with the largest range of materials choices, but there certainly are a lot more service bureaus out there. It really depends on what exactly you're looking for. The only time I use 3D printing services is when I'm in some far-flung show and it's cheaper to have it produced there than try to ship it from afar. Usually I do my own 3D printing, but that's for smaller-scale parts.

What exactly are you wanting to print? The part configuration and materials requirements - and how soon you need it - will dictate the sort of bureau to use.

Andrew Werby
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Level 5 user

I don't have a specific need to print something now, but 3D printing seems like a technology that may affect sculpture in the same way that the introduction of the camera affected painting, so, as the price comes down, I want to explore the options. I am intrigued by the way that Shapeways.com is set up, so that I could upload a sculpture model and customers could select the material, color, finish, etc. and order it directly. (I don't mean to advertise them, but I haven't seen another site like that.) Is still seems a little pricey for anything except a tiny sculpture, but interesting.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Level 10 user

I don't think the prices are that unreasonable - what are you comparing it to, a bronze foundry? But here's a site that matches up people with 3d printers with locals who want to use their services: http://www.3dhubs.com/

It's going to be a lot more limited in the types of materials and techniques available, but you do get to interact with the people doing the work for you.

Andrew Werby
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Level 5 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Werby View Post
what are you comparing it to, a bronze foundry?www.computersculpture.com
Yes, I was. Perhaps bronze is not a material in which they compete well on price. For a 4" x 6" x .5" relief, it looked like it would be in the neighborhood of $450. I got a tentative quote from a foundry of ~$115. If I went with Shapeways, I would save some physical modelling time, but I would add some CAD modelling time. Now I'm thinking about designs that might make best use of 3D printing, while staying a little lower in price. I'll probably start with plastic.

I learned from a friend about a publicly-available 3D printer close to my home, so I'll probably give that a try.