Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Level 4 user

Propane Tank Conversion to Tin Melter

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic area of the forum. I did not see a topic for tools and tips. I have an old propane can that is the size that would fit under an outdoor barbecue grill. An old friend gave it to me years ago when he shut down his beer making shop. The tank had an iron armature of some kind that was screwed into the top of the propane can - it allowed me to set my small melting pot (half pint size) over the flame and melt pewter and tin for my small castings. Believe it or not that little propane can lasted at least 20 years before finally running out of propane. I went around to all the refillers in my area and no one would refill it because the tank did not have the appropriate tags hanging on it.

So I bought an outdoor turkey grill setup that had a rather larger grill surface and would attach to a propane can. I bought a barbecue size can of propane and have used it to melt tin. The problem is the turkey grill set up is too big.

I would like to add another armature to the new propane can if possible that would let me set my small melting pot just over the flame - the original one is rusted on so strongly that I cannot remove it from the old can. The devise also has a nozzle under it that makes the gas/flame cone shaped. Does anyone know where I can buy something to convert the propane can to melt my tin?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Propane Tank Conversion to Tin Melter

This may lead somewhere useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-SBCI.../dp/B0094BPHAO

Richard
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Level 10 user

Geez, I remember those one burner gas hot plates from the 70s, haven't seen one since!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Level 4 user

thx Richard - that is much better than the oversized turkey grilling station I have been using - thx v much - getting one!
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip77 View Post
I went around to all the refillers in my area and no one would refill it because the tank did not have the appropriate tags hanging on it.
What that's about is the tank is too old and needs to be inspected/recertified and the valve probably replaced, but since the 5 gallon BBQ tanks are under about $39 new with gas at Menards etc it doesn't make sense to bother with an old tank.

No one is going to refil an older tank that isn't current on the certification, too much risk when there's 5 gallons of highly explosive, highly flammable gas under high pressure in a tank that could fail and take a house out and more.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-Deco View Post
What that's about is the tank is too old and needs to be inspected/recertified and the valve probably replaced, but since the 5 gallon BBQ tanks are under about $39 new with gas at Menards etc it doesn't make sense to bother with an old tank.

No one is going to refil an older tank that isn't current on the certification, too much risk when there's 5 gallons of highly explosive, highly flammable gas under high pressure in a tank that could fail and take a house out and more.
Thx 4 telling me what I already know - I only took the old can one time for refilling and I had no idea it was too old or uncertified at the time but I learned that but thank you for reiterating it.

I did buy a new propane can and have been using it ever since. The old can has a special contraption that is screwed into the tanks main valve receiver or just above it. I was asking if anyone knows where I can get something like it for the new can. Thx anyway.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Level 10 user

I don't know what the timeframe is, it might vary in each state too, I sort of remember 12 year intervals might be the max age between certifications.
I used propane in BBQ tanks for a decade when I was living full time in an RV, so I ran into that issue with at least one tank, but I only remember the guy having to change out the valve for a new one and visually inspecting the tank and it was good to go.