Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Level 2 user

Re: ISC Members Outside N America

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I can see how the online payment form can be confusing, since it doesn't specify upfront that you'll be paying by credit card. I'll see what I can do about the wording on those pages in the future.

To answer the other questions, I believe the US country code is just +1. You might have to dial an exit code from your specific country, as well... but someone might be able to correct me on this. I know if I'm calling Singapore I have to dial the US exit code and the Singapore country code, then the local number. I imagine this varies.

More generally, if anyone ever has a question about registration, you can always e-mail me (lauren@sculpture.org) or Courtney, who deals with the membership renewals on a daily basis (membership@sculpture.org). I might not always know what the difficulty is (Julianna, that's the first time I've heard of your specific problem, sorry!), but we have many ways of registering and we'll work something out for you. You can even call us and give your credit card information over the phone so you can have instant verification.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for your comments Lauren.

I don't know if it is all right to reveal this. Currently how many percent of the total ISC membership are international ?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Level 2 user

According to my database, I currently have about 12% of members and 18% of subscribers with international addresses.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks Lauren. At 12% and 18%, I suppose the ISC does realise there is a huge growth potential for membership and magazine subscription outside US, Canada and Mexico. For such artists, the considerations and some areas of interest are different, and have to be understood and taken into account.

These considerations are easier to cater for the magazine than for the membership, but perhaps this is the area of concern of a different ISC department.

I scanned the current issue of the magazine, and notice it does have some advertisers from other countries, but not many. It is always a chicken and egg issue. Which comes first.

Last edited by Merlion : 01-16-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Level 10 user

other than this excellent site i find little interest in art mags other than the opportunities adds. past subscriptions piled up besides the toilet with only the websites visited. being now in Hong Kong and with little contact on public commissions... i asked isc last year if they did a separate subscription for web access only but was disappointed. it was too much risk to subscribe to an unknown and very expensive mag for opportunities pages only. it may be the right decision as pretty nearly all the adds on this site are limited to local and US application anyway. so if thats true with the mag? if anyone has a gain say on this please enlighten me as to isc content.
i found that 'an' magazine in the UK also would not separate its pulp from the web so in a fit of pique i dropped my subscription... is it not time that modern publishers look for more sales elsewhere rather than lose cusomers?

Jim Racine, other side of the world.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Level 2 user

Hi Jim,

Most of our opportunities do come from inside the US (although I'd think that some international artist might still be interested in applying for these). Taking a peek through what we have available online in the "Public Arts Projects," "Calls for Artists," and "Competitions" sections this month, I see the following international opportunities listed:

6 in the U.K., 2 in Canada, 2 in Ireland, 2 in Berlin, and one each in Mino, Japan, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Oslo, Norway.

Your idea about offering a web-only membership is an interesting one. I think it might be difficult for us to implement at first, as our membership database is structured around the shipping of the magazine (if your membership is up-to-date, a mailing label is automatically generated for your copy of Sculpture). Is there interest from other posters here in a web-only membership category?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Level 10 user

I am not too clear what 'web only subscription' means. Does it mean no hard copy magazine and newsletter if any will be sent, but web access is allowed to all and not very limited contents of them? How about attending activities?

About Lauren's comments, I would not look at the current amount of opportunites and adverts from outside the US. It is a 'chicken and egg' situation. They are currently not so interested as our current membership outside the US is small. The ISC has to take the initiative. We are looking at the future.

Last edited by Merlion : 01-29-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Level 10 user

I posted this quoted comment on Jan 5, 2008 about joining ISC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
Anyway, I'll join to give it a try, and see how it goes.
A few days later, I sent off the hardcopy membership application card to join and to pay by card.

Today on Feb 9, I received the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of the magazine Sculpture, posted on Jan 30. It was by Air Mail. The postage was $0.90 + 7.75, or $8.65. I suppose in future the magazine may come by airfreight and remailer. I don't know.

For curiosity, I looked through the adverts in this magazine issue to see if any are from outside the US. I found none. There is one about marble workshop in Italy, but it is for workshops in both Italy and the US. So it means on this magazine issue, advertisers from outside the US are not interested to pay to advertise at all.

I also looked through the list of 20 ISC Directors. There are 3 from outside the US. One is from Mexico/German, another from Switzerland, and the third from Japan.

Last edited by Merlion : 02-09-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Level 2 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion View Post
I posted this quoted comment on Jan 5, 2008 about joining ISC.

A few days later, I sent off the hardcopy membership application card to join and to pay by card.

Today on Feb 9, I received the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of the magazine Sculpture, posted on Jan 30. It was by Air Mail. The postage was $0.90 + 7.75, or $8.65. I suppose in future the magazine may come by airfreight and remailer. I don't know.
Just to explain this part -- we need to send mailing information to our printer 45 days in advance. So to prevent new subscribers from having to wait a month or two to get their info into the printer's system, we mail their first issue directly from the office and pay the postage ourselves. Your next issue should be delivered through the standard shipping system.

Last edited by LaurenH : 02-11-2008 at 11:44 AM.