Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Is anyone making any money ?

Been supporting myself and a family for many, many years. Sold ALOT of sculpture. Did it myself, the NY galleries have done very little for me. I know plenty of people who do well in NYC galleries and live everywhere else. But I suppose if "rich and famous" is your goal then you must rub the right elbows on a daily basis. The best thing about this art thing..."rich and famous" is always a possibility, some unplanned turn of events could change everything. The important thing, though, is to keep making the work you want to make, even if you KNOW it will not sell (because you're wrong about that sometimes).
NYC has chewed me up and spit me out many times already...But I keep coming back. I know how to make a decent living in this game...but maybe there is more...we'll see.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Level 10 user

My problem is that I'm too generous, even to those who can afford to pay, why do I do that ? Here in Ohio, the art lovers are so far and few between.......that I feel like I must reward everyone of them with a special deal. I'm definitely holding myself back.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to making money, I shoot myself in the foot every time. I'll pay top dollar for basic services and then under sell myself like I'm a general laborer. I need an attitude adjustment. More spine to say the least.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Level 1 user

This has been an interesting topic and some interesting stories here. My own is also quite strange. I'm a dentist from Africa. I graduated from a school in NYC in 1996 and rushed home to do my thing found myself frustrated by the corruption and shabby state of the health care system I quit dentistry and took out my scultping tools I brought from NY. I did a couple of pieces ( I was slow at it and never finished) Parents and family put a lot of pressure on me to return to dentistry but I vowed not to practice in Kenya so I left for Zimbabwe which was a decent coutry at the time.

Anyone who knows about sculpting in Africa knows Zimbabwe is a powerhouse in that tradition. I learned a lot and continued my hobby. I mad money in dentistry. Anyway the country went to the dogs and I decided to return to the US for a masters in a discipline of dentistry. Before that I lugged my Zimbabwe pieces back to Kenya and finished my work in Kenya, exhibited at two galleries. I received a lot of compliments and my work sold pretty quick ( most African sculptors are doing what is called touristy "coca cola" art and really lack imagination) which really encouraged me because my parents were really disparaging about my work even though I know I'm good at it. In any case I have hardly been doing anything since I returned in 2001 completed my masters and begun working.

But now having failed to get the green card and with the economic downturn the dollar going down -- its just not worth being in the country anymore and I want to return and register to practice in Uganda with intentions to sell my artwork across theborder in Kenya. I will be leaving in a month and I'm terrified of the future because dentistry does not make much money until one is 15 years established but excited to get back to sculpting.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Level 10 user

Is anyone making any money ?

It is Only Paper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100 dollar bills 3.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	8444  
Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Level 10 user

ha ha ha thats a good one marblecutter
Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Level 1 user

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to be making money from my sculpture.
I have been making my sculpture for almost 50 years and haven't make any money yet.
My work is make to express my self. That is all. The images I create are interesting but quite often a bit disturbing. That puts people off at times.
I expect to be paid good money for my work. That restricts sales.
When I had that monent of epifany and discovered that I was a sculptor (artist) the next thought that popped into my head was how will I make a living? Since I was finishing up my B.S. degree work (Industrial Design) I figured that I would go for my Masters in sculpture and spend the rest of my life teaching it to make a liying.
After getting my Masters I left Chicago and I taught Sculpture, Design and Art History for a year at EKU in Kentucky.
Didn't work out quite the way I had planned as the next year I went to New York City and ended up teaching at an adult training center of the S.U. of N.Y. in Brooklyn, NY. I moved to New York because that is Mecca for artists who want to be "discovered". That was 40 years ago.
What we plan and what happens is often two different things. I ended up living in Connecticut (I detest the big cities) and I started by teaching Drafting at the collellge in Brooklyn for a few years. Then I switched to teaching Math and became head of the department. When Computer Aided Drafting came in I switched again and ended up teaching that at the same school.
I continued making my sculpture the way I wanted and showed at various group shows in New York City. I have had two one man shows in NYC and had an agent for a few years. No sales at all.
The agent finally said that every gallery has one or two artists whose work simply does not sell. Thats me.

I do not regret having to spend so much of my time teaching and doing computer drafting. I greatly enjoyed both activities. I have been lucky in that I have found work that I liked doing. I have been able to afford the life style I grew up in and therefor was most comfortable with. Sort of a cross between middle class suburban and redneck. We have two children who are now adults.
So I will not become famous through my art. OK. I can live with that.
I am retired from teaching but I am still making my sculpture and making money doing drafting (part time).

Such is life.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Level 6 user

i think if you put the hours in and have some skills, art is a viable self employed business as any ther, i think the realy hard part is not makeing money but to carry on makeing your art when you start makeing money, i see so many who end up as manufactures of the work that first started selling, but its realy hard to stop makeing the stuff people are bying to make new work.

i do my own casting but if i sell through gallerys i esentialy only get paind for the casting work im still giveing the art away for free.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Level 3 user

Yeah I just had one of the "Gesso Forms" sold from a gallery in Italy to a writer who works at the Denmark Parlaiment. I had the proceeds donated to the Arte Club for wine and bread. But in an article I wrote for the Journal "la parola" (Italy) I think that being an artist in America means becoming skilled at negotiating poverty, unless you wanna work for the "machine". It is a labor of love. I'm certain that most good sculptors here could make alot of money if money making was their goal. But we make art, and we are still alive. A better question is "Is anyone making art?", and that we do! I make money, and squander it on art supplies and fellowship times, sufficient to have any New York Shrink try to make money on me, curing my hedonism, narcissism, and impulsive, unstable ways! And the shrinks think they know it all. They teach that if you make money at it, it must therefor be a worthwhile thing! Hell with making money. Lotta rich assholes can't even color with crayons, and they have to hire people to buy their "art".
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Level 10 user

Yes.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Level 10 user

It is only the Artist (a real one) that can get a breath of fresh air. Below him always lies the muck to which he will yet have to return for his bodily sustenance. Unfortunate necessities such as food, money, socialization, and frivolous joys are all down there with the busybodies - who dont even know that the fresh air exists. They are too busy cruching numbers, plowing fields, making sneakers, solving equations, cutting into each other's bellys and generally antagonizing each other with (an often impressive) determination and vigor. The more money you want the more you gotta play with them and breathe the muck. An Artist, being quite above them all in potential, can decide exactly how much money he wants to make...and make it; knowing full well, though, that it affects directly the frequency of the breathing-in of that potent and wonderful "fresh air".

Economy schmonomy...we can produce something, seemingly out of thin air, that they must have, they sense this from deep withing their genes...they will give us money. No problem.

So its left for us to decide, and it aint easy, how much of it we want.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Level 5 user

Read this book!
I've sold pieces but in no way made money. And the money that i do get for my work i reinvest in my shop, by maintining my tools and purchasing new toys and materials. i've found it important to think of my life in terms of occupation (sculptress) and job (receptionist) just because i do not (for now) make a living off my work. this does not mean that i am any less of a sculptress PLUS it makes it possible for me to tolerate my job knowing i can go home and work in my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtAndFear[1].jpg
Views:	771
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	9160  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblecutter View Post
It is Only Paper
so is a divorce...
Old 12-20-2008, 01:35 AM
Level 1 user

Self employment is in... how many ours in a day? on in a week?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Level 5 user

Just arrived here. Very helpful forum. My first post.

If it is for sale i can generate the enthusiasm, professional attitude and hopefully ideas to make the art. If it is not going to be put out there with a price on it i am too damn lazy to make anything worth anything. My previous occupations were gold prospector and musician, both for 30 odd years overlapping for a few years. Most of the time i was working on some boring job to finance these long shot gambles, always aiming for a eureka moment. I had some high times but most of what i got from it was how to deal with poverty and failure. So i dont need to do that any more. I am already an expert at that. I have been given the gift of desperation and i am prepared to go to any length to let go of the things about myself that hold me back. So yes my work needs to be worthwhile so i can believe in it and sell it. But it is not all about me. i am just lucky enough to be making it. The only thing i learned of use to me in 4 years at art school was that i need to join in the mob looking at my art and look as hard as anyone else is. Fearless and thorough and then run on my own opinion of what i need to do to improve it or find new directions. But they have to be for sale or i aint making them. If they sell that is a bonus. I am still a learner so maybe this is all horsemanure but it is motivating me at the moment. victor cj pearson

Last edited by rusted_art : 12-25-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Level 10 user

I can say that I am supporting my self and have been for almost a year. I know that is not very long in comparison to some but I can not imagine going back now. I do not use galleries i sell privately through word of mouth and advertising at shows.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias View Post
I can say that I am supporting my self and have been for almost a year. I know that is not very long in comparison to some but I can not imagine going back now. I do not use galleries i sell privately through word of mouth and advertising at shows.
Yep T, once you get a taste of that kind of independence and self-determination they'll never be able to pull you back into the rat-race...no matter how much money is involved.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Level 7 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
... once you get a taste of that kind of independence and self-determination they'll never be able to pull you back into the rat-race...no matter how much money is involved.
life's full of funny twists, Eval...here's my two cents(EURO cents, of course)- I started a woodcarving shop/studio some years ago- architectural woodcarving, interior decoration...that sort of thing.Wrong place , wrong time , and the shop somehow got a life of it's own, and a direction I did'nt like at all- I started getting more comissions that were plain carpenter's work , with less and less carving, I needed more industrial kind tools to get the job done, wich were more expensive and you can't pay for them with carving...To cut the long story short , I was taking a road that led to (if I were sucsessful) building a furniture-making company in say , 20 years - and all I wanted was fine carving and sculpture.Besides , the business was shaky , so I closed it before it was to late, and got a full-time job in( isn't it ironic!)-cabinet making, wich is my trade, and a place I can kick some ass.Now it's the first time I really have some time to make sculpture, and create things I allways wanted to- but never had the time.

...and -yes! I miss the independence and the adventure of not knowing what the tomorrow would bring, every minute of every day, and when I decide I have enough works to show, I'll start talking with the galeries, and try the self employment again - only this time I'm gonna win

Ivan
Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Level 10 user

Eval I dont know if I would even have the right frame of mind any more. I go to the shop and work when I want to. I get new and interesting commissions every month. No biggies yet but that will come in time I am sure.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Level 2 user

I work very hard!! That means in the studio, the foundry, and at marketing.
Probably equal on all three. I went to art school, struggled to pay my student loans, worked as a fishing guide for part of the year, then focused on doing good art the rest of the time. It took time(ten years), but eventually made the transition to full time artist! I am represented by 10 galleries across the country. I never gave up, never compromised my integrity, and most importantly, never listened to anyone that said I could not do it.
I have a folder full of rejection letters. To this day, I still nurture my relationships with galleries and collectors. They are the reason I get to do exactly what I want, everyday! It's a lifestyle, a passion, and a love. I would break the law to do it. And yes, I make money. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, but the bottom line is not in my bank account, but my soul.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Level 1 user

Two roads diverged and I took the one that had the best job security, doing software graphic and user interface design for the corporate world. Now twenty-five years later - the kids are all nearly through college, the economy has tanked, and I am laid off from my supposed secure career. Time to pick up the torch again and resume my earlier vision for creating a unique genre of sculpture. So far, it appears to be coming together. Yet, there is this thing with the business model. I'm still fifguring that out.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblecutter View Post
It is Only Paper
They burn it for warmth in China
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDwBP6eKodk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gzaeE0A9w
Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Level 3 user

My Mayan Shaman descendant wife said the lore of 2012 is upon us and coming quickly. We shall indeed enter a new era where cash and monitary gain takes a back seat to spiritual aspects of life. Your life, as well as mine is about to change, ready or not, like it or not. So far we seem to be getting let down easily, but I fear, or aniticpate the other rock is about to fall from the skies above.

"THIS IS THE BIG ONE."
Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Level 10 user

Everydays another damned big one...to the point it gets tiresome. Prophecy is the job of shysters. Go ahead Universe, do your worst...it cant be too terrible as you've not even got yourself a perception yet...flailing,churning, cooling and burning in unintentioned thrashing. The grass grows, a black hole swallows a planet, the price of the Whopper just went up 25 cents because of the price of diesel fuel. It all must be endured just the same...like the weather.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Level 3 user

Yes...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Level 10 user

Making great money, the government just keeps stealing it all.