Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Level 10 user

Awesome Sculpture du Jour

Antony Gormley: http://www.artknowledgenews.com/2010...xhibition.html
Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Awesome Sculpture du Jour

These are all body casts so I don't have any comments on his ability as a sculptor...but as a writer...Wow...very talented.

The artist comments: “This is the return of the lost subject to the site of Modernism. It is great to have a chance to test this piece of sculpture against the clarity of Mendelsohn and Chemayeff’s English masterpiece. I am excited to see these dark forms in the elements against the sea and in direct light. It will be like a sky burial. How these masses act in space is very important. The challenge is to make the distance intimate, internal.”

G
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Level 10 user

I think its pretty crappy writing. Yeah, those figurations are a visual treat purely by their intentional misplacement. But any odd thing multiplied and forced into the blandness of culture can be a treat; doesnt make it Art. The Abakanowicz headless things in Chicago plowed this field a long time ago to the same degree of spectacle. Gormley should be sure he doesnt lose the phone # of the shop that makes those things for him. The writing (thinking) aint gonna be an option.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Level 10 user

You guys need to go back to art school. The ball is in your court--post something about sculpture that you think is good.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
You guys need to go back to art school.
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" : >) - Mark Twain
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Level 10 user

It's a great idea for a thread, I hope they have somtin.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
I think its pretty crappy writing.
“This is the return of the lost subject to the site of Modernism."
The teaser line....What ? there is a lost subject ? There is a site of Modernism ? what could they possibility be after all these years ....

"It is great to have a chance to test this piece of sculpture against the clarity of Mendelsohn and Chemayeff’s English masterpiece. "
Well you have to be an architect to get this reference (I was)...but hey he is referencing...brave assemblage artist...putting his work to a test

I am excited to see these dark forms in the elements against the sea and in direct light.
i.e. no color ..vapid bronze body castings with the minimalist patinas can only benefit from the sun and sea.......

It will be like a sky burial.
You have to agree this is a cool line...a sky burial...

How these masses act in space is very important. The challenge is to make the distance intimate, internal.”
This is always the challenge...at least with the people I love..

Eval don't you think this is creative ? It has everything art speak should have...a good intro, historical notes..obscure references and flowery descriptors he must be good with words, he got this commission didn't he ?.....I think he is a literary genius.

G
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Level 10 user

Art school is a tiny lily pad on the Monet of a pertitent experience of the possibilities of creativity. But "schools" of any sort only ever wish to install into you the silliness of the "known".

The good thing about academia - the potential and liklihood of vital dialogue. The bad thing about academia - the the liklihood of UNvital dialogue.

A "teaching philosophy" (as it pertains to an academic program) is an assurance that either the professor is going through the (well intentioned)motions or that there is a perception that the students need to keep learning the same things semester after semester after semester. I subscribe to NIETHER; as a learner AND as an educator. Discourse decides, action decides, boneyards decide, will decides...and plenty of background vocals in the form of ranting, argument and praise (to be heard only slightly under the noise of the Art happenning - or not happening).
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Level 10 user

So I'm wondering why there can be 12 pages of "song du jour" but we can't even get one page going of "sculpture du jour". Obviously most folks seem to know their music. But I tried a couple times with well known names (at least you should know them, Caro, Gormley) to get some sculpture talk going and it falls flat on its face. The Caro attempt in Art Lounge got 2 hits. I don't know of anyone who has produced as much as Caro.

Quote:
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" : >) - Mark Twain
Not to make this personal, but Mark Twain did educate himself. How are you teaching yourself about the art world? Its a mighty big place. Sure you can do without art school, but the alternative for DIY is a lot of reading and viewing(which I'd think you'd love to do as artists). The real problem is that many people want their attempts, and their opinions to be liked and admired when they haven't done any homework. If you are going to dis someone with a long established career, like Gromley, please back it up with something of substance, something meaningful. At least look him up before you spout off.

Quote:
I think its pretty crappy writing.....But any odd thing multiplied and forced into the blandness of culture can be a treat; doesnt make it Art.
And now you go to the "is it art" argument???

Quote:
Art school is a tiny lily pad on the Monet of a pertitent experience of the possibilities of creativity. But "schools" of any sort only ever wish to install into you the silliness of the "known"....
And this is supposed to be an example of good writing??? Or thinking???
Old 05-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Level 10 user

something cool i saw recently. & more stuff that isn't on his page yet.
http://www.robertfuerer.com/
Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Level 10 user

"What is good thinking?" is a sideways version of "what is Art?" We can all hash it out forever and ever, not have to agree and yet still vitalize ourselves on occasion by the moment.

And Joe, no we neednt buy what the art-rags are selling. When I want to decide what I really like in the "art world" I go out and SEE it. Glossy pictures and scribblings by non-artists have nothing to do with an art experience. Fodder for thought and dialogue? Yes. But a celebrated career does not a good artist make.

Its a good thing I'm not a writer or I'd have to care about doing that well too.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Level 10 user

G, I imagine that guys paintings and sculptures are indeed a worthy thing to experience.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Level 10 user

Gormely’s statement is pretty straightforward (Hint: the key is to read the rest of the article)

Quote:
Yeah, those figurations are a visual treat purely by their intentional misplacement. But any odd thing multiplied and forced into the blandness of culture can be a treat; doesn’t make it Art.
Sure it can. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Perhaps not art to suit your refined palate…but art notheless.

Quote:
But a celebrated career does not a good artist make.
…or does it? Also, if you could accurately define “good art” then you would have been able to by that ironworker you’ve been eyeing by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto View Post
These are all body casts so I don't have any comments on his ability as a sculptor...
sigh….really? It’s amazing how huge the chasm can be between artists. Can you even see the rest of us over here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
something cool i saw recently. & more stuff that isn't on his page yet.
This stuff bores the pants off me.

I saw Gormley’s Event Horizon piece in NYC last weekend. It was very compelling and easily one of the best sculpture installations I have seen in the past decade. So cinematic – which is hard for sculpture to accomplish.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
This stuff bores the pants off me.

I saw Gormley’s Event Horizon piece in NYC last weekend. It was very compelling and easily one of the best sculpture installations I have seen in the past decade. So cinematic – which is hard for sculpture to accomplish.
The pants thing is your problem and easily an arrestable offense.

The Fuerer photos available aren't really a suitable representation of all that was viewed, but the best to be had. While the methods and subject were not revolutionary, the handling was very fresh and the sheer volume of work gave a similar sense of context as Gormley's rooftop piece. At least as I perceive from Gormley's photos. I didn't have that opportunity this time.

It seems where most installations fail is they don't truly consider space and/or context as a critical component in their composition. The typical approach is more like a wedding cake, brought in & plunked down all fancy-like.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
Gormely’s statement is pretty straightforward (Hint: the key is to read the rest of the article)

Quote:
[php]Sure it can. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Perhaps not art to suit your refined palate…but art notheless.
[/PH
P]
It is not the "refining" of the palate that is important. It is the willingness of a palate to become CHANGED by challenging thinking that should preside. Reconcile challenging thinking with an ever churning discerning and things get interesting. (hey, churning and discerning rhyme...I'm a poet and didnt know-it)

Quote:
PHP Code:
…or does it?  Also, if you could accurately define “good art” then you would have been able to by that ironworker you’ve been eyeing by now!   :D 
It is not an interesting venture to wish to define "good" art. But it IS an interesting venture to imagine what that might be. I'll go see the Gormley piece in NYC next week...and I have followed his work for many years. He has become yet another art planner; which is the most blunderous move our celebrated artists make over and over again. He was better before.

Ironworker? Hah, I can do everything that factory tool can do with my bare hands. You must be referring to the gasoline torch...yes, I'll do what I must to get a chance to possess THAT tool. It will happen. I'm patient like that. And god help everyone when I can cut a 24 inch plate in half.

Quote:
PHP Code:
sigh….really?  It’s amazing how huge the chasm can be between artists.  Can you even see the rest of us over here? 
I dont find anything surprising or amazing about the chasms between folks. As I have said, we humans are all installed as far away from each other as possible. Any "sharing" or "agreeability" is an illusion put into place by the trudge of the communication which permits us our survival against the hostilities of mother Eaqrth. the search for intellectual common ground provides for "easy" conversation. It takes work and honesty to voice a piece of fleeting purity. And the good stuff only come from work, not ease.

Quote:
PHP Code:
This stuff bores the pants off me
Chasms, my friend. No biggie. Thats the way it is.

Quote:
Save the "cinematic" for the cinema. We aint bloody filmakers.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Reconcile challenging thinking with an ever churning discerning and things get interesting.
Gromley has made a superb career of doing exactly that.

Quote:
I have followed his work for many years. He has become yet another art planner; which is the most blunderous move our celebrated artists make over and over again. He was better before.
That is a big claim. Now prove it. Simple reactive "opinions" come very cheap.

Quote:
And the good stuff only come from work, not ease.
As do thoughtful responses.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Gromley has made a superb career of doing exactly that.

That is a big claim. Now prove it. Simple reactive "opinions" come very cheap.
But Joe, according to you I AM cheap. Too cheap for chrome - too cheap for "proving" things. I'm just a humble sculptor minding his own business, keeping to himself and not wishing to upset any boats at all...just like you.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Level 10 user

Wow, much ado about nothing.

Rising to the challenge of posting a sculpture du jour, even though I'm in a hurry to go play soccer, here is something that I found somewhere, not even sure where, I think on a Facebook friend's photo page. It is a sculpture in Turkey.
No pretense, no delusions of grandeur, no accompanying artspeak text to confuse one into believing a piece of ____ is meaningful. Just a nice, simple, and uplifting composition. Obviously, not for eveyone here, but I like it and others might as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkish sculpture.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	12315  
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I'm just a humble sculptor minding his own business, keeping to himself and not wishing to upset any boats at all...just like you
Yes, you only have 4425 posts. I'd better get more humble. Its my only hope for catching up.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Yes, you only have 4425 posts. I'd better get more humble. Its my only hope for catching up.
Quantity over quality. Its the same reason that a 4000 lb sculpture is almost always better than a 400 lb one. I know - I've done both (of course there are exception).
Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Save the "cinematic" for the cinema. We aint bloody filmakers.
But we must aspire to be more than object makers. Besides, just because the Gormely installation is cinematic doesn't mean it is any less of a sculptural experience.

Write in after you see the piece next week. I promise you won't be disappointed. This piece is bigger than any Serra - so you should enjoy that if nothing else.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
But we must aspire to be more than object makers. Besides, just because the Gormely installation is cinematic doesn't mean it is any less of a sculptural experience.

Write in after you see the piece next week. I promise you won't be disappointed. This piece is bigger than any Serra - so you should enjoy that if nothing else.
okay I'll hold my tongue til I see it.

Yer right though, "object makers" is not at all what sculptors are. I'll use the "we" here but everyone knows I'm only talking from myself ("we" is satisfyingly presumptuous and rebel-rousing...as if I might be addressing an army of me's) We glean very different significances from our work than our viewers do. We "become" by the process, by the event, by the episode, by the trials and errors and mishaps and accidents and all the manual abilities we have accumulated over the years. The validation, which must be continuously renewed, comes out of the act - NOT out of the completed object. So yes, MUCH more than object makers...but please, not nancy-assed film-makers; all caught up in their faux, facade, pretending and propping. I like a good film, like "They Live" or "Night of the Living Dead" just as much as the next guy. But it aint sculptureand sculpture aint entertainment.

And right, its bigger than a Serra only by how far apart they decide to spread-out the multiples or by how many they decide to use in a given location. I'll let you know when I see it if the significance adds up.

I just get put-off by artists laying claim to labors they have only delegated. People should do what they say they will do and should HAVE DONE what they say they HAVE DONE. Its the best way to be amongst our fellow ants. No bullshitting.

guess I didnt hold my tongue....again. sorry.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Level 10 user

For music lovers and figurative fans: http://www.artknowledgenews.com/2010...rt-cobain.html
Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Quantity over quality. Its the same reason that a 4000 lb sculpture is almost always better than a 400 lb one. I know - I've done both (of course there are exception).

I've been saying that for years and it almost brings a tear to my eye to finally see someone else agree. lol
Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Quantity over quality.
Look at Picasso. 50,000 works of art. He let the market and the critics work it out. He just did his job. Everyday.