Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Level 10 user

Guggenheim Bilbao or The Reina Sofia, Madrid?

I have visited both, Reina Sofia in Madrid lots of times, Gugger once recently.

While I found the Guggenheim had amazing exhibits, it felt more like a tourist destination where people went to just see the building. It is a lot more expensive to get in too. The Reina Sofia has amazing work of course too.

So what I want to ask, if anyone has been or by just looking at each museum online, what do you feel makes a successful art museum design?

I feel that for me the Reina Sofia is more successful and 'frames' the work.
I find the Guggenheim in my opinion is battling with the exhibits and trying to be a sculpture in itself.

I used to be a major fan of the Guggenheim at Art School, I never visited it,
seeing it in reality for me was a bit dissapointing.

Obivously it is an interesting buidling though!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Guggenheim Bilbao or The Reina Sofia, Madrid?

I judge a museum by the artifacts that it contains. It is very nice when a museum not only consistently provides you with rewarding experiences but also manages to introduce you to works that you might not have thought would have been rewarding. Also, if the museum is persistent and relentless and unwavering in its permanent collection is it possible for you to "grow" into works that you had previously dismissed (it is a good idea to dismiss most things perched, propped and placed in even the "best" of museums).

There are works in museums that I simply MUST see again and again...for years and years.

The architecture?...inside its all about crowd control, basement cafeterias and pissers; outside it is architects wishing to be aesthetically assertive (by the handiwork of troops of tradesmen). Visual treats are nice...titanium looks really cool...none of them are art.

A solidified relationship to an art-object excludes everything else around it - that relationship can happen anywhere.

My favorite is the Metropolitan in NYC - I never fail to leave there VERY charged.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
A solidified relationship to an art-object excludes everything else around it - that relationship can happen anywhere.

Well said.

...to continue:
SHOULD an art-object carry with it the capacity to transform (any) space and maintain that exclusive spirit?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Level 10 user

I have been to the Reina Sofia, but havent been to Spain since the Goog was built.

But I would go once, to see the building.

After that, it would depend on the shows.

I have to say though, that the Reina Sofia, in general, shows more varied, interesting work, in my opinion, than the Goog.

Currently-
http://www.guggenheim-bilbao.es/?idioma=en

vs

http://www.museoreinasofia.es/exposi...tuales_en.html

the Goog is a franchise, and is beholden to its corporate overlords. Its a smaller museum, in a very interesting regional city.

The Reina Sofia is THE State Museum- for the entire country, and, as such, consistently has better historical work, and a broader range of contemporary work.

Madrid, after all, is the capital of the country, and, in many ways, the cultural capital of the spanish speaking world.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
SHOULD an art-object carry with it the capacity to transform (any) space and maintain that exclusive spirit?
The burden of intellectual engagement is not, of course, going to be held by an art object. Because the poor thing is only the evidence of the aesthetic entanglement that brought it about. So the better question might be "Should a person venturing into a creative endeavor be concerned with the afterglow of his/her artifact in such a way that it transforms space and maintains (the aformentioned) spirit?"

I say no. Such orchestrations would dirty the go-time. There are plenty of things you can make if you only want to impress yourself upon some space, some place, some people. But that is servitude. If your art-making experience resounds by its clean-ness and intensity, all of THOSE shrapnelled artifacts will big-bang you out there magnificently forever.