Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Level 10 user

Art that makes you Think or Feel?

For all here who like to take about art -

Which do you like better?

Getting hit in the gut? or being intellectually moved?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Art that makes you Think or Feel?

I like it when getting intellectually moved feels like getting hit in the gut.

Unfortunately, there is some thinking involved in "feeling". That wise-guy under the skull wants to be in on EVERYTHING. As we differentiate this from the "sensing" of mass through our eyes, we must evaluate that instance of physical revelation that came out of an Art entity. Put the bulbous blunderer to work and recall your approach to the Art that has excited you...wet the adrenal glands, made you suddenly wish to be in your studio that you might out-do or at least challenge the made thing infront of you. I like to get walloped...and a good walloping is what I hope provide to the dumb matter. But we get reminded of our frailty soon enough (damned braniac) and succumb to quieter aethetics...in a futile effort at self-preservation.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Level 10 user

These linear, either/or questions strike me as missing the boat.

Does the art that you like only affect you in one dimension of your being at a time?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Level 10 user

I seek the "WTF?" experience.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Level 10 user

For me great art is like a hugh wave picking me up and carrying me inland all of my senses are consumed...then at some point it throws me down on the hot sand and starts to flow all around me and then when I think it finished and start to get up.... it hits me again

G
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Level 10 user

I'm a mutt I guess, a mixed breed of "wtf" and "wave" with a cranky old professor keeping an eye on both.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post

Does the art that you like only affect you in one dimension of your being at a time?
Don't need no stinkin' boat.
One and a half at a time, or I tend to fall over. A piece may engage more senses, but then I need training wheels or some pillows.
For me, overly philosophical pieces are boring. Small gut spasms that make you rubber neck to get a sense of the meaning are good. As always, it has to grab the eyeballs first.

Last edited by grommet : 06-09-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: actual content
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Level 10 user

none of the above

I like art that makes me feel good

sometimes because it's intellectually stimulating
sometimes because it's odd
(loved the first rusting pile of welded boxes---didn't find anything interesting in the next 39)
loved the first tensegrity tubes and cables i saw didn't find anything interesting in the next 39)
copying any trend leaves me devoid of interest

and
I'm seriously biased in favor of the figurative
IF
it has true craftsmanship and exposes the artist's love of the figure

i suppose, that the common denominator of my appreciation has to do with the artist's love of and dedication to his/her art
Old 06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Level 10 user

none of the above, Rod

My common denominator is provocation--to smile, to laugh, the intellect, the gut, to cry, to muse, to create--what ever it has always been positive. I have had negative reactions in front of "fine art" but then I would consider those things decoration. But the artist probably invested as mush personnel integrity in them as I in any of my stuff, so---????? to your last statement about "love and dedication."

RD

Last edited by rderr.com : 06-10-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rderr.com View Post
none of the above, Rod

.. provocation--to smile, to laugh, the intellect, the gut, to cry, to muse, to create--... i...s positive.
To delight the senses and become a recurring joyful memory.
and, The occasional melancholic regret if i did not acquire it, niggardly keeping the dead presidents prints and foregoing a thing of rare delight.
RD
ok shared common denominator,
'cepting delete cry and accept the text as edited

most of the time, i find nothing worthy of my mind and eye from art that bemoans sorrows or is intentionally ugly,
When confronted by such pseudo art, I think :
("No you ignorant egocentric negative s.o.b., I really ain't interested in sharing your pain---------put me in the equation, and share your loves and joys and whatever passes for your eye candy, just be a decent human being as an artist")
but then again
I am a self confessed non repentant dilettante.
and biased accordingly

the exception
I have the privilege of having known a truly gifted painter. She started our relationship by hating me and my interruption of her patterned life and oftimes scaring (scratch that) terrifying me....then she discovered my art and conceded that "anyone who could do that couldn't be a total asshole"
whereupon our interactions became much more pleasant and frequent.
She went through an extended blue period emotionally and pigmentally
using only blues and deep greens, all dark and moody, and, tho sad of such intense beauty that my emotional reservoirs were filled with the eclectic sweetness of the nectar of the gods; an epiphany of a humble pilgrim standing mutely in awe in the temple of her oils.

Last edited by sculptor : 06-10-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Level 10 user

Accept the edit--'cept Cry. Tears have many sources from the simple house cleaning chore of window washing to the cleaning of the soul. Of course the "spilled milk" variety or confessional have no place on my floor or walls.

Robert
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Level 10 user

What a gift to have had such a friend.
But didn't that sort of tell you that people give what they have?
Understandably, sometimes you wish there was a 'no whining zone'...

Quote:
("No you ignorant egocentric negative s.o.b., I really ain't interested in sharing your pain---------put me in the equation, and share your loves and joys and whatever passes for your eye candy, just be a decent human being as an artist")
By demanding you be included, doesn't that make you egocentric too?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
By demanding you be included, doesn't that make you egocentric too?
egocentric fersure (add in existential)
(and that ain't the half of it---I'm so self centered that i even choose my definitions of words and expect everyone else to understand them as i intended---eg dilettante---Dilettante \Dil'et*tan"te\, noun; pl. {Dilettanti}. [It., prop. p. pr. of dillettare to take delight in, fr. L. delectare to delight. See {Delight}, verb (used with an object)] An admirer or lover of the fine arts... one who follows an art or a branch of knowledge, ... for amusement .)or for satisfaction of desire
I take delight in/from the arts and have no love for the works of those whose purpose is contrary to my desires.

and you?
is your navel the center of the universe?

Last edited by sculptor : 06-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Level 10 user

deplorably, but i punish myself by being quiet and selfless everywhwere but here.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post

Sure,...... some does. Most is not really multi demensional. And one dimension is almost always stonger than the other in a piece.

Glenn i guess this question was really aimed at Oscar's (or whatever his new name is) rant about dumb art and dumber public.

It's really a question about what satisfies you more, The Ramones or Elvis Costello. Or in your case maybe Mozart or i dont know Handle?

Or do you really only feel satisfied by the likes of Jimi Hendrix. Skill, raw talent, refined talent, Love and Mastery of his medium, blood pumping delivery, thought provoking ideas.

Or maybe any emotional vacuum has drained your senses? Or a mind meld has dimmed you gray matter?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Level 9 user

I was at an "arts and crafts" fair last weekend. Someone I was with said that I could make work like the stuff at the metal booths. I said I needed a lobotomy before I could make that crap.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Level 10 user

O, I worry that you've already done the lobotomy...self-administered - like so, so many, drilled through the skull by self pity.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Level 9 user

E, the world is so lovely for the likes of you, welding meaningless stacks of junk yard junk and mindlessly twisting rebar.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
I was at an "arts and crafts" fair last weekend. Someone I was with said that I could make work like the stuff at the metal booths. I said I needed a lobotomy before I could make that crap.
Well people you are around on a casual basis are never going to be able to relate to what you KNOW you can do. It's easy to say I'd never make that crap and who here can't relate to that at one point or another? I felt much the same way as you last year at an arts festival, biggest one in Denver. I didn't see anything that made me want to do back flips, but maybe that's the way it should be. It wasn't like I was offended by what I saw, simply not taken by much of it and if it gets to the point where you are offended by the work itself then you're not working hard enough at satisfying your own dreams and desires. Those are the only ones that should ever count in the end..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Level 10 user

Theres plenty of "arts festival" at the MoMA...but theres some stuff thats not thats not.

You'll find pertinent art in unlikely places...if you've got the nerve to look.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Level 9 user

Frankly, the best art I saw that day was the faded and fresh spray paint markings on the sidewalks, roads, and grass left from the utility company workers.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Frankly, the best art I saw that day was the faded and fresh spray paint markings on the sidewalks, roads, and grass left from the utility company workers.

Well with a trillion bucks of stimulus dough going to hungry street painters you should be able to get a job with the artists you love best. lol
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Level 10 user

seriously, some of the 'art fairs' are too much like grocery shopping, and bargain hunting for the best price on canned beans. It's a mean sort of existence, with trinkets to amuse you for one more day. It's really more fun to watch people, or the growing pile of lemon rinds from the fresh lemonade vendor.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Level 10 user

That sounds like a flea market G, and there aint no art there...but plenty of possibilities (and Iron Butterfly records).
Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Level 10 user

the local one has the essentials, plasma cut weather vanes, fake spigot for garden with crystal water droplet, wreaths, couple painters & photographers, sculptors with barely altered body casts, wood stuff with an inch of sealer on it, umpteen jewelers, wooden puzzles, handpainted clothing. there's been the occasional find, but mostly what I get is sunburn & a walk. A walk is always good though...